First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
How does the steering wheel sense hands on the wheel? My 2022 Lariat works great and I drove from Asheville to Waynesville a few nights back using "Lane Centering". Everything worked perfectly except I would occasionally get the message to put hands on the wheel but they were already there. Sometimes I would press down on the wheel to clear the message and sometimes I would just squeeze harder. But I never figured out just exactly how the wheel sensed my hands. Any ideas?
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Its a tiny bit of pull on the steering wheel.....nothing special. There is a YT video of someone tricking the steering wheel detection by hooking/dangling a 10lb weight to the steering wheel.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
ditto
i think it senses the little bit of drag your hands place on it
i have experimented by lightly touching the wheel in a curved hand approach and it will tell me to hold the wheel , then other times it takes a bit
i want a trim feature so its not so close to the center line on 2 lane roads

Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
ditto
i think it senses the little bit of drag your hands place on it
i have experimented by lightly touching the wheel in a curved hand approach and it will tell me to hold the wheel , then other times it takes a bit
i want a trim feature so its not so close to the center line on 2 lane roads
I’ll add to having something akin to a trim feature. I find for my liking anyway, I prefer staying closer to the inner part of the lane, not close to the centre line. As for hands on the wheel, since I’m more often keeping the truck away from the centre line, the only times I get the warnings are on long stretches of straight roads where the truck is doing the centring and your hands are not moving the wheel for an extended period of time most often on 4 lane roads. Just a slight pull on the wheel will turn it off.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I've found there is two levels to the put hands on the wheel message. I'll experiment and it seems to be between ten and twenty seconds before the prompt depending on the road.

I have a light touch on the wheel because of the gutters running down the lanes from traffic here in illinois so I get the first prompt a lot. Just give the wheel the smallest of turns and it will go away.

I haven't found the right ankle weight yet. Mines too bulky and hard to take off when you get in a town.

Also they haven't painted the stripes for the summer yet around here and you have to watch it because I'll be going along and "whoa!!" let's not be heading for the edge.

Has anyone tried out the more sensitive option? I remember seeing it when I first got the truck and default was the mid setting but I haven't thought to change it yet.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I think it is a combination of driver monitoring camera by rvm and then it asks you to pay attention if it doesn’t feel a slight tug. I read something about it in the owners manual. For Lane keeping system. Lane centering is similar but tied to adaptive cruise. I don’t have adaptive cruise. It’s kinda cool when the truck turns large sweeping curves by itself then centers.

fluffernutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat PB
Ya’ll really hanging weights from the wheel? That’s so much trust I personally don’t have in these systems. Maybe I’m just old school (although I’m in my early 40s, I just don’t yet trust the camera/lidar used let alone something like bluecruise, self parking or even the trailer assist). I just prefer to do this myself as there are so many inputs and hazards I don’t trust the systems to be able to accommodate for (small animals, children, objects and idiot drivers).

Even using the backup camera, on rainy days that gets hard to see out of which further diminishes my faith. The wildcard in each of the scenarios above is the other idiot drivers on the road (esp here in NJ where they seem to grow on trees). So even if the systems work as intended, I’ve seen countless dashcam footage that I know a system may not have been able to avoid. That would irk me to no end if I got hit while having an ankle weight on my wheel.

I’m just not willing to risk my new expensive truck that I had to wait half a year to get on a piece of tech so I can take my hands off the wheel for a few seconds letting Jeebus take it. Esp from a company who puts out a system where they can’t even get the trailer brake controller working 100% of the time. That may go to show how great they are in technical prowess. But to each their own. We got these expensive trucks, may as well use the functionality as much as you trust it.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I just give it a wiggle and the message goes away. Frankly unless I'm able to Blue Cruise I'm turning lane assist off cause' I don't like fighting the wheel for the way I drive...

Sponsored

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
Drove my dads maverick on a couple day trip and I took a liking to adaptive cruise + lane centering. Those are on my 502a build I’m waiting on of course.

Basically I found you just nudge the wheel a little, not even enough to turn the wheel. The warning is a little more frequent then I’d like but not a huge deal for what you get I guess.

OP
OP
Thunderchief

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I appreciate the help here - my questions have been answered.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I stoppped using lane centering after I realized it basically makes you look like you're driving drunk...
You must either be lifted and not recalibrated or you don’t have lane centering on. Mine tracks dead center with no intervention

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
So do people actually do this poor man's bluecruise by strapping weight to the wheel for hands-free driving?? I'll be honest I've thought about it.
Sponsored