lane centering and lane drift

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I kinda messed with this on the way to work this morning.
I will be messing with it more, less is more when correcting the line.
I do still think the fight is less against the wheel it seems, or maybe I’m just trusting it a bit more and NOT fighting IT as much.
Either way we’re getting more familiar with each other.
Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Now that we have (again ;)), at least for this post, clarified Keeping vs Centering....those wishing for a "trim" knob to set the Center position may be missing what was posted above from Owner's Manual:

"If you drive off-center within the lane, the
system sets and maintains that preferred
lane position. The system provides
continuous assistance steering torque
input toward the preferred position."

"Note: If the system cancels, the preferred
position erases. On the next activation, the
system provides continuous assistance
steering torque input toward the lane center"

Of course not exactly a trim knob, especially since it is only good for 1 use (i.e. it resets after each restarting of an ACC or BC session). But you should be able to "force and hold" the position you want in the lane "center" for a little bit and then it will use that.

I have no experience with that function yet, as most of my highway driving (where it is easier for me to "experiment" vs city traffic) is towing and I don't use Lane Centering while towing.
i did not see that in my web pdf manual

so we have lane keeping if we drive with ACC or BC OFF and lane centering if ACC or BC is ON?
i cant remember gettign a vibration in steering wheel but i did get a red warning with a pic of a steering wheel

my 2016 expedition would "trim" its self with cruise on or off. it did not have ACC cruise
it would adjust "trim" based on your input to stay where you pointed the vehicle. it had no cameras etc.

i see the learning curve is getting me.
its like i learn something new each time i drive.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
i did not see that in my web pdf manual

so we have lane keeping if we drive with ACC or BC OFF and lane centering if ACC or BC is ON?
i cant remember gettign a vibration in steering wheel but i did get a red warning with a pic of a steering wheel

my 2016 expedition would "trim" its self with cruise on or off. it did not have ACC cruise
it would adjust "trim" based on your input to stay where you pointed the vehicle. it had no cameras etc.

i see the learning curve is getting me.
its like i learn something new each time i drive.
Before clicking cruise control on your steering wheel, JUST click the "lane keeping" button.

Look for the little icon on the instrument panel.

Now click the cruise control button and watch that same lane keeping icon suddenly, but subtlety, change.

That icon is now a lane centering icon.
I underestimated the differences in the two closely related features. And there are definitely additional parameters in play between the two.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Before clicking cruise control on your steering wheel, JUST click the "lane keeping" button.

Look for the little icon on the instrument panel.

Now click the cruise control button and watch that same lane keeping icon suddenly, but subtlety, change.

That icon is now a lane centering icon.
I underestimated the differences in the two closely related features. And there are definitely additional parameters in play between the two.
i went out and sat in truck ad re set all the driver assistance stuff
and yup the little icon changed .
the manual is pretty bad at explaining .
but i also re-enabled speed sign recognition and set 5mph as the parameters

we shall see monday on the long drive to bonham.
it has a long 2 lane road for over 50 miles thats almost straight with a few long curves.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Great thread, I’ve learned quite a bit. I’ll add my data point with respect to BC.

Mine has a noticeable tendency to do an immediate check up on the left paint line when BC is first activated. It was initially disconcerting, you can see the wheel crank left instantly. Not quite a dive left as its marginally slower, but deliberate with meaning. Once the truck is double dog sure that’s a left line, it works it’s way back toward center-ish in a less deliberate fashion.

Having read a number of references to the wandering, I expected some meandering, but don’t really experience that. For the most part it tends to do a decent job of holding its line even though the steering wheel seems to show frequent small corrections. It does do a bit of hunting on gentle bends in the road. On bends I ‘helped’ a couple times, and in one case (same bend), she wasn’t having it and fired off red dash warnings to grab the wheel. In general she seemed to be working harder that day.

My recollection is it was overcast alternating between patchy sun and dark clouds. The comment on the effect of relative sun / ambient light makes sense. Changing conditions may be one of the biggest contributors to overall performance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Great thread, I’ve learned quite a bit. I’ll add my data point with respect to BC.

Mine has a noticeable tendency to do an immediate check up on the left paint line when BC is first activated. It was initially disconcerting, you can see the wheel crank left instantly. Not quite a dive left as its marginally slower, but deliberate with meaning. Once the truck is double dog sure that’s a left line, it works it’s way back toward center-ish in a less deliberate fashion.

Having read a number of references to the wandering, I expected some meandering, but don’t really experience that. For the most part it tends to do a decent job of holding its line even though the steering wheel seems to show frequent small corrections. It does do a bit of hunting on gentle bends in the road. On bends I ‘helped’ a couple times, and in one case (same bend), she wasn’t having it and fired off red dash warnings to grab the wheel. In general she seemed to be working harder that day.

My recollection is it was overcast alternating between patchy sun and dark clouds. The comment on the effect of relative sun / ambient light makes sense. Changing conditions may be one of the biggest contributors to overall performance.
i learn something new almost weekly

these guys turned me on the adaptive cruise stop and go.. (y)

CaptainABC

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
My '22 Plat tends to hug the right side much more than I prefer. It leaves me WAY closer to other vehicles on the freeway than I am comfortable with. I had not read the info about setting your lane preference every time you enable BC but I will try this for sure. I generally have the same preference for lane centering so I wish it would remember between sessions.

+1 to a trim setting for lane centering
+1 to camping mode
+1 to hating how the dash gets insanely bright when you turn the lights off. Who thought that was a good idea?!

Great thread! Thanks for all the info and input.

BChad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
My BC was working great after I manually did all the updates. Since then I've had my windshield replaced and supposedly the camera recalibrated and if using BC now I fear I'll get pulled over with a suspected DUI.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Snakebitten describes exactly my observations, as well, and I also have the big tow mirrors making it easy to compare lane gaps on both sides of the vehicle.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
After multiple drives on a two-lane divided country road, posted 50 mph, and gentle curves, I decided to disable the AI drive-assist features. With regularity the truck would drift too far to the right or left side of the lane. The experience left me feeling it was unsafe to use. I only use cruise control and rely on my eyes for staying centered in the lane.

I think Ford's AI system in the F150 is poorly implemented. The 4+ pages in this thread is an indicator of how confusing it is to use. When it takes multiple reads of the manual to sort through then it's too complicated. Ford needs a few more years to mature this technology so it is more safe to use and understand.

Sponsored

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Industrial Equipment Sales
My '21 PB liked to hold right when in the left lane, and got even closer when passing large trucks or trailers. This was made worse if the trailer was dark in color. Numerous times I would have sideswiped the trailer had I not intervened.

Went to dealer twice but no improvement. Just back from dealer for 28 days chasing multiple problems including a brake booster replacement. They loaded BC, which tracks much better but is not perfect. Biggest annoyance is BC can't see my eyes thru reading glasses and goes nuts. BC is better than lane centering, but attention level for either is almost more trouble than the benefit. Needs work.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L All Terrain 4x4 (Black)
My lightning using BC hugs the right lane beyond comfort, and gets really concerning when I'm in the left lane and it's dangerously close to vehicles in the next lane over... especially if they are hugging the left... it appears the truck isn't aware of it's presence. My wife has panicked multiple times because of it.

It also wanders between the lines regularly. I'm waiting to see someone get pulled over for "drunk driving"... it really gets that bad. I've had it jerk pretty aggressively towards both the left and center lane as well and had to intervene.

Sometimes it works flawlessly.

I can't correlate it to any commonalities like cloud cover, types of lines, types of road material, day/night, etc...

I really do love it, but don't trust it and have to monitor it far closer than expected.

On a side note, I've also noticed that adaptive cruise control sometimes auto-starts after a light, other times prompts you to hit the resume button. Anyone know the reasoning behind which it chooses?

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
My BC was working great after I manually did all the updates. Since then I've had my windshield replaced and supposedly the camera recalibrated and if using BC now I fear I'll get pulled over with a suspected DUI.
Mine has felt like drunk teenager driving since day one. I just assumed that's the way it was for now.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
On a side note, I've also noticed that adaptive cruise control sometimes auto-starts after a light, other times prompts you to hit the resume button. Anyone know the reasoning behind which it chooses?
I think one factor is how long the truck has sat without moving?

If long enough it switches to "stopped" mode (seen on the instrument cluster). At that point you would be required to either push the accelerator or the resume button to get the truck to roll.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
just got back from a long drive to bonham, 87 miles each way. 20 miles or so on 2 lane at 65 to 70
12 miles or so at 75-80 mph on interstate 30 heading west
another 6 miles at 70 on 2 lane farm road
then another 12 miles at 60 on two lane with WIDE emergency lanes ( you could drive on it as a lane if needed)
another 20 miles or so at 70 on 2 lane farm road NO EMERGENCY shoulder, just a line and AIR and a deep ditch followed by about 17 miles at 60 or less on 2 lane with no emergency lane, just lines

then return is in reverse of above

i used lane centering with cruise about 80% of the way up and back.
all the roads except the 1st and last 20 mile sections the truck did below.

MY LEFT ARM AND neck are sore from fighting with it to stay away from left line. even in camera view it was uncomfortably close, looked like 12" ,' if i let go of wheel it would do the lane wander then settle in the center, then slowly start moving closer the to the left . not crossing over, to but close for me

weather was 90 to 97 on drive up with sun almost straight above us.
drive back was 100-102 F with sun just behind us or to the rear right side.
the interstate had OK markings and lots of GORE point stripes not there or blackened from truck tires skidding??

the two lanes after wards were dull white lines and not very bright center solids or dashes.

the 1st 20 miles and last 20 miles has excellent new striping and only one screwed up gore point marking (surprisingly on both sides of road in same area), truck did very well there and didnt fight and stayed at a more center IMO.

i did find no matter which road, i would turn off cruise and just use lane keeping for a few miles to get a feel, truck did not fight for the left side. it just gave me audio and visual cues in dash that i had wandered to close the left line. hands were on wheel during these tests.
with cruise on i would relax grip on wheel so it could move freely

i have an oil change coming up, will have them check calibration then.

good thing is now my MPG at 75 is up to 18.6
Sponsored