Blue Cruise vs Lane Keep Assist

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
There is no sensor on the steering wheel that can tell if your hand is touching the wheel or not. It only knows your hand is there if you pull on the wheel, and apply some torque to it. So yes, you have to "literally pull the wheel down a bit for it to see that [you] are holding it."

If it does not sense any externally applied torque on the wheel within 15 seconds, it will flash a warning to "Keep your hands on the wheel." I used to just give the wheel a little tug every 10 seconds or so to let it know I was there, but that quickly got old.

Now I find that if I continuously apply a little counter-torque, it always knows I am there, and I never see the warnings. This actually happens quite naturally, as I seldom want to drive right in the center of the lane anyway, which is what the truck is seeking. For example, if I am overtaking a big 18 wheeler on the freeway, I tend to ease a little farther away from the truck. Or, if I see a curve ahead, I tend to pull into the curve earlier than the truck would, and throughout the curve I am closer to the inside line, cutting the corner, so to speak. I typically have one hand near the bottom of the wheel, lightly torquing one way or the other. That is, on long freeway cruises, I never have my hands clutching the wheel at 10 and 2 to ensure it knows I am there. Eventually this becomes very natural and relaxing. The truck is actually doing all the driving, and I am just providing a light indication of my preferences.

I also prefer to have my hand on the wheel just in case a surprise comes along that requires my input. Lane merges, lane splits, exit lane departures, poor or missing or non-standard paint markings, lots of tar repair lines, driving into a glaring sun, heavy rain or puddles, misreading a speed limit sign, etc., all have the potential to cause an erratic reaction by the truck. I have never experienced an erratic reaction that was not easily overridden, but you do have to pay constant attention for a timely reaction.

We are still a ways away from a truly hands-off system. So far, I find it handy to release the wheel completely for up to 15 seconds while I take a bite out of a hamburger, without having to stabilize the wheel with my knees, but that's about as far as I trust it. I am looking forward to what the BlueCruise download will change.
I understnad how it works based on the torque of the wheel as i had this on both my Honda and Nissan. But this one is to the point where i need to really give it a jolt ..

Never in my Nissan/Honda did i get a warning while iw as hanging on to the wheel! With the F150, it is very annoying that i need to apply even more pressure to sense that i am holding the wheel.

I always hold the wheel when i use any form of lane keep.
Sponsored

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
I understnad how it works based on the torque of the wheel as i had this on both my Honda and Nissan. But this one is to the point where i need to really give it a jolt ..

Never in my Nissan/Honda did i get a warning while iw as hanging on to the wheel! With the F150, it is very annoying that i need to apply even more pressure to sense that i am holding the wheel.

I always hold the wheel when i use any form of lane keep.
The terminology in the popup warning has been misleading for a lot of drivers new to this system, including me. It does not say, "Wiggle the steering wheel so we know you are there." It just says, "Keep hands on steering wheel." Some people interpret that to mean there must be an actual touch sensor of some kind on the wheel rim. Based on my personal experience, I thought that was worthy of clarification.
Ford F-150 Blue Cruise vs Lane Keep Assist IMG_1226

My last vehicle was a 2010 F-150 Platinum, so this whole lane keeping setup has been entirely new to me, and I have found it is not completely intuitive. After using it awhile though, I find it a joy to use, subject to the limitations I mentioned above.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I have no idea why everyone assumes I said the control would only be via GPS with BlueCruise. All I was trying to say was that the freaking cameras would not be the only thing keeping lanes. Having high density maps with precise GPS location to supplement the cameras is a complete different control scheme than camera only. I guess I'll make 20 bullet power point slides next time.

mj_in_ak

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150, 2012 Honda Insight
You can change the settings you mentioned in the information center I believe.

I wondered about this. So, over the course of my ownership I set off to determine that. I’m doing so, I determined something else.

1. Running up on stopped traffic and braking at the last second to end perfectly 4 feet from the stopped cars back bumper.

I have determined that with the Powerboost the adaptive cruise (in eco and normal mode) uses the regenerative braking to stop the truck 100% and nets me 100% regen braking EVERY TIME. So, the truck stops perfectly within the eco gauge on the needle every time. I can’t stop the truck as fast as it can, without pushing the eco needle some, so braking is perfect every time, even though it’s scary. If just knows how many feet are left before it needs to begin applying the perfect braking pressure, all to end 4 feet from the vehicle in front of you.

2. I have also determined that allowing the adaptive cruise to accelerate the truck, it will maintain perfect eco gauge alignment, and you really get the best economy for the quick traffic acceleration. My foot can’t make it accelerate that fast while keeping the good economy.

With the Powerboost the above statements hold true. The stopping is perfect and has never had issue. I prefer the truck to drive in stop and go traffic, and I trust it with my life daily.

The early warning for impending front collision has algorithms and calculations like that of a human. One time a vehicle had its bumper out in the lane 2 feet. Lane keeping was not on, but I saw this long ahead of time, and made a joke to my GF “hey I wonder if this thing will use the crash avoidance on that one”. Well, right about that time, at more than 50-100 feet back traveling at 35MPH, the truck early warning system told me there was something stopped in front of me. While this is working as intended, the funny thing for me was that based on how soon it let me know, it fully knew that was a vehicles bumper poking out in the road about 1-2 feet which may be overlooked by the driver. Because the early warning system NEVER goes off unless you MESSED UP and we’re looking at your phone distracted, or if you are driving recklessly with friends.

As far as how it works if you don’t stop, the brakes on the 2021 truck activate (going from 0% to 100% max braking) faster than the 2011 GT500 I used to have. Real experience:
Driving to Key West, I was trying to tuck in behind an 18 wheeler at 65-70 MPH, the way we were already moving, I didn’t have to apply brake, just move left a little and change lanes behind the 18 wheeler. Well, as I am removing my foot front the accelerator to cover the brake (my truck reached maybe 5 feet from the back of the 18 wheeler) and then it happened.

BAM!!!!! The fastest most perfect timing to slam the brakes on 100%. So absolutely fast and jolting that it caused an adult race roller skate to shoot over the center console into the front floorboards. But then, as quickly as it happened, it let off the brakes just as fast. Once it’s calculations determined impact was no longer eminent (because the 18 wheeler wasn’t stopping, I was just too close), the truck let off the brakes. The electric brakes on this truck are absolutely nuts crazy fast. There was at least one time it did help me keep from rear ending someone when I was actually distracted, and it amazed me just as much then as it did the first time.

And now you know, you can get best economy simply by letting the truck accelerate and decelerate for you all the time. Most of my best MPG were because I just let the truck drive as much as humanly possible. I trust it, because I have 25k miles with it. Your mileage my vary though due to road markings etc.
I wonder how that braking would change under snowy/slippery conditions...Fast stops can totally work against you. Maybe we will see stories this winter of how this works.

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
With all the news articles out yesterday (05 Aug), this seemed like the first batch of news on the subject since there was a bunch around 14 Apr. Has anyone seen a revised timeline of the OTA availability? Seems like perhaps it is getting close?

Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
What are the requirements to have/get BlueCruise?

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
Hey guys,
So I’ve had my tuck a month now and I love it. I do frequently use the lane keep assist + crisis control. However the truck has done some scary things and if I wasn’t paying attention I could have possibly ended up in a ditch. Does anyone know if Blue Cruise is going to be much more reliable and safe? I would think so but you never know. Because at this point I’m not sure who comfortable I would be leaving my hands off the wheel.
Key phrase. Lane keep assist is there to assist you. But it's still your job to drive the truck and pay attention. You are still supposed to have your hands on the wheel and actively drive the truck.

BlueCruise will be more than that.

I wonder how that braking would change under snowy/slippery conditions...Fast stops can totally work against you. Maybe we will see stories this winter of how this works.
me, adaptive cruise control has been around for years

What are the requirements to have/get BlueCruise?
It's an option (the copilot 360 active) on Lariat 502A and higher. It is standard on Platinum 701A and Limited
Sponsored