Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Hey guys,
So I’ve had my tuck a month now and I love it. I do frequently use the lane keep assist + crisis control. However the truck has done some scary things and if I wasn’t paying attention I could have possibly ended up in a ditch. Does anyone know if Blue Cruise is going to be much more reliable and safe? I would think so but you never know. Because at this point I’m not sure who comfortable I would be leaving my hands off the wheel.
Sponsored

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
do you have lane centering on? If so I think Blue cruise will be just like that

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
BlueCruise will be very different. Lane centering uses the cameras to detect lanes and try to stay between them. BlueCruise will only work on roads that are pre-mapped and it already knows where the lanes are. Much different knowing where they are ahead of time versus trying to detect them on the fly.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BlueCruise will be very different. Lane centering uses the cameras to detect lanes and try to stay between them. BlueCruise will only work on roads that are pre-mapped and it already knows where the lanes are. Much different knowing where they are ahead of time versus trying to detect them on the fly.
Good to hear. I keep hearing it will roll out in the 3rd quarter of 2021. Hopefully this holds true . I’m excited to see how it compares to Tesla.

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
What scary things has the lane keep assist done? I was hesitant to add it to my build. Maybe I’ll take it off. Wanted to get blue cruise but didn’t want to upgrade to 502A for it. Thought CoPilot Assist might be nice, but you’re not the first person I’ve heard say it feels less than 100% trustworthy.

Sponsored

21limited

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I currently own a Cadillac CT6 with super cruise and have driven the tesla model s and I prefer driving my f150 using lane centering to both. When the system disengages the warning is definitely less obvious but I strap a 1.5 lb wrist weight to the wheel and feel comfortable. I still make sure to pay attention. I totally recommend it.

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
What scary things has the lane keep assist done? I was hesitant to add it to my build. Maybe I’ll take it off. Wanted to get blue cruise but didn’t want to upgrade to 502A for it. Thought CoPilot Assist might be nice, but you’re not the first person I’ve heard say it feels less than 100% trustworthy.
I think you automatically get lane assist, but can turn it off. Someone out there correct me if I am wrong.

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army
I think you automatically get lane assist, but can turn it off. Someone out there correct me if I am wrong.
Ah yeah my bad, the Copilot Assist gives adaptive cruise control which is stop-and-go, lane centering and speed sign recognition. I thought that’s what OP was referring to

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ah yeah my bad, the Copilot Assist gives adaptive cruise control which is stop-and-go, lane centering and speed sign recognition. I thought that’s what OP was referring to
That is correct. You can turn it off and it stays off unit you enable it. It’s done some strange things for example:
- when there isn’t a painted line on each side of the lane it will sometimes want to drive off the side of the road
- when going down the hwy and you approach an exit it sometimes jerks the wheel to try and exit
- sometimes when using the system the road lines may fade and the system cancels out. I’ve had this happen in a turn before so I had to change my britches after this one.

At the end of the day it’s still a good feature. The system currently isn’t intended to be a self driving vehicle until Blue Cruise is released. I tend to use this more than I should because I like the feature but you ALWAYS want to make sure you are prepared and have your hands on the wheel.The system will force you to put your hands on the wheels after 10 seconds or so, if not the truck will come to a stop.

NoCo150

First Name
KD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
That is correct. You can turn it off and it stays off unit you enable it. It’s done some strange things for example:
- when there isn’t a painted line on each side of the lane it will sometimes want to drive off the side of the road
- when going down the hwy and you approach an exit it sometimes jerks the wheel to try and exit
- sometimes when using the system the road lines may fade and the system cancels out. I’ve had this happen in a turn before so I had to change my britches after this one.

At the end of the day it’s still a good feature. The system currently isn’t intended to be a self driving vehicle until Blue Cruise is released. I tend to use this more than I should because I like the feature but you ALWAYS want to make sure you are prepared and have your hands on the wheel.The system will force you to put your hands on the wheels after 10 seconds or so, if not the truck will come to a stop.
I have it on my truck, if the lines are faded or non existent the truck should give you a warning by the lane guidance lines changing color. I will at times perceive things that are not a threat such as sun glare can make the emergency lighting headset display go off and a truck in the other lane on two lane roads during a curve will freak it out at times. But for the most part it is a good feature, I dont like where it wants to place me in the lane so I dont usually have it on unless on an interstate.

Sponsored

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army

Thanks for the info. My commute is about 30min on decent highway and not many turns. Hopefully the copilot winds up being worth it. Not sure what’s worse, anxiety inducing adaptive cruise control or having to drive manually lol. Still wish bluecruise didn’t require the cost of 502A on the lariat. Maybe on my next truck.

Have you had any alarming experiences with adaptive cruise control in traffic? I’m in Maryland so usually a decent amount of traffic on my way home with some slow downs here and there. Would you trust it on a somewhat congested highway cruising around 70 mph?

TexasTrash

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Space White V8
Occupation
Pipeline Controller
I use the copilot on the 2 major roads I travel to/from work and the only time I've wanted to take control is when I go through toll booths, just because 1 has a quick turn as you go through it (typical crappy houston designed road system). My first trip home in traffic was actually relaxing, just letting the truck do what it does.

Dan Texas

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The adaptive cruise control is flawless; I wouldn’t take a long trip without it. The intelligent cruise control, where it reads the speed limit signs and adjusts, is also good, but not perfect; it occasionally gets fooled (for instance, reading a speed sign on a frontage road) but it’s still useful. The lane centering is awesome, and generally does a good job, but I agree you have to keep a hand on the wheel. I’ve had it on a couple of occasions misread marks on the road, or where two roads diverge, and suddenly start to lunge in another direction. It’s also been confused when driving in construction, and one side was a row of traffic cones without a line, and the truck wanted to place itself too far over. I’m not sure what it would do if it wanted to go somewhere where there was an obstacle, for example, it thought the road swerved to the right, but there was another vehicle next to you. I suspect it would just turn off. The few times the truck has decided to move incorrectly has always been on wide open highways with nobody around me. I’m looking forward to seeing how BlueCruise works; I suspect it will significantly reduce fatigue on long drives.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I like adaptive cruise with lane centering quite a bit, and think it lowers driving stress on longer trips significantly. But I tried the intelligent cruise (speed adjustment) and didn't like it because it would sometimes get the speed signs wrong and also would accelerate and decelerate quickly. I'd rather turn this feature off and just have the truck center in the lanes and keep a distance from the cars ahead.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I have 25K under my belt, with probably 80% of those miles using lane keep assist to basically drive the vehicle. If you learn how the system looks at the roads and the lines, you will learn where it works flawlessly and where it does not. First, when it activates, it asks you to place your hands on the steering wheel, so that is the first and only caveat to everything discussed in this thread. I don't think anyone should fault ford or the system for anything it does, because Ford tells to to keep your hands on the wheel.

Additions to other folks comments:

1. I have determined that if the truck determines that you have crossed the lines too many times, it takes the lane centering away until you kill the truck and restart. This is when the green lines show up, even when the lane keep assist is turned on.

2. 2 times during heavy rain the system couldn't detect the distance to the vehicle in front of me, so it disabled the lane keep assist and adaptive cruise until the truck was killed and restarted.

My Review of the system:
Every work trip I have taken since purchase left me relaxed and rested at the end of the trip vs. exhausted and fatigued from the road trip.

There were 3 times when it tried to go right and II grabbed the wheel, but I feel that the sensor input would have re-corrected that action before there was any impact.

The one that jolted me the most was when the road lines detoured the interstate as a right side exit, but the interstate main lane had since been repaired so there was a concrete barricade on the right side where the exit once existed. The truck was following the old detour road lines because they weren't ground off completely after that part of the construction was finished. I did grab the wheel and make the correction as soon as I felt the truck depart to the right, but I really don't think it would have hit the barricade at the right side of the road, because it has sensors in that area telling it there is a wall present. I have had similar instances where it darted toward the other lane where a vehicle was present, but it knew something was present, so it determined an alternate route which resolved the jerk.

The other time which was consistently not working which I felt it should, was with double stripes on each side of the lane, on a 4 lane highway leading up to Miami airport. The truck didn't know if it should go right or left, and that was the ONLY TIME I ever needed to turn the system off.

Other than those quirks, with the radio turned down listening to the key chimes made by the system if the road isn't recognized, I trust the system with my life at 90 MPH all day or night long.

FUN FACT about the system:
The Lane Centering system will drive your truck at night, keeping you centered in your lane perfectly, with all Truck exterior lights turned off with only star and dim moon light present. Has anyone else tried that yet? It is pretty scary after about 30 seconds.

Take it like you want. It says don't take your hands off the wheel. If you choose to take you hands off the wheel, you better know how the system operates. Once you know what roads it works best on, all other concerns about the system go out the window. I absolutely love it, and never want another vehicle without it.
Sponsored