First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Have both on my new Plat. I'm familiar with the lane keeping system since i had it before. Not sure if i have a problem with my truck or not...
I can not get lane keeping to work for me without pressing the lane centring button on the steering wheel. So, if i need to enable lane centring, what do i need lane keeping for...
Had anybody been able to use the lane keeping in any of it's Alert and Aid configurations without starting the lane centring system?
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Lane keeping is just the "lane departure" feature that has been around for a few years. If you start to actually go out of your lane, it'll either alert you and/or actually turn the wheel back a bit to get you back within the lines, depending what you have enabled. It's a reactive system, in that it only does anything if you mess up and go outside the lines. Lane centering is the new feature that actually actively drives the truck for you. When engaged it actually does all the steering required and is a more proactive approach, it keeps you within the marked lines and essentially takes over for you altogether.

Lane centering is more picky about having good visible lines on both sides of the road and can only be engaged when cruise control is on. Lane keeping/departure is always on unless you specifically disable it with the button on the wheel or in the driver assist settings.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
The only thing I would add is that Lane Keeping on/off is controlled by the button on the steering wheel, while Lance Centering on/off is controlled under the Cruise Control menu under Vehicle Features.

Also, you can enable LK w/o LC on, however not the other way around. If you turn off LK then LC will be deactivated as well. At least, that's how it's set up on mine.

In addition, if you happen to be as unlucky as me, your LC will randomly shut off with no warning (and no, I don't mean when it loses a line turns orange and says "Canceled" at the bottom.) So even though it is more than happy to do it's thing, you still need to keep an eye on it.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
The only thing I would add is that Lane Keeping on/off is controlled by the button on the steering wheel, while Lance Centering on/off is controlled under the Cruise Control menu under Vehicle Features.

Also, you can enable LK w/o LC on, however not the other way around. If you turn off LK then LC will be deactivated as well. At least, that's how it's set up on mine.

In addition, if you happen to be as unlucky as me, your LC will randomly shut off with no warning (and no, I don't mean when it loses a line turns orange and says "Canceled" at the bottom.) So even though it is more than happy to do it's thing, you still need to keep an eye on it.
I've had the same issue 2 or 3 times now with LC deciding it doesn't want to behave. It'll just say canceled while engaged and if you toggle it on/off with the button on the steering wheel it'll flash a message saying lane centering isn't available. Stop to turn the truck off and back on and it's perfectly fine again. Definitely something Ford needs to look into to try and get to the bottom of. If it happened in the early part of a very long drive I'd definitely be looking for somewhere to pull over to "reboot" to get the functionality back.

BTW, if you turn off lane keeping on the steering wheel, it'll disable lane centering as well, it seems to be a button to completely kill off anything to do with the steering assist. I've had LC on and used that button and it definitely disables LC with it when you shut it off. But like you said, you can go into settings, disable lane keeping assist, and still retain functionality of LC if you want.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've had the same issue 2 or 3 times now with LC deciding it doesn't want to behave. It'll just say canceled while engaged and if you toggle it on/off with the button on the steering wheel it'll flash a message saying lane centering isn't available. Stop to turn the truck off and back on and it's perfectly fine again. Definitely something Ford needs to look into to try and get to the bottom of. If it happened in the early part of a very long drive I'd definitely be looking for somewhere to pull over to "reboot" to get the functionality back.
THIS! Exactly this!

I've even taken it to the dealer while LC is in the failed state and the "Lane Centering is not available" message comes on. Showed it to them, they ran diagnostics, and came back with the whole "it's designed to shut off if you aren't paying attention; It's driver error" BS. And yes, I understand that it mentions this in the OM, however that doesn't explain why it has failed less than 10 seconds after setting cruise.

We recently did a 6k mile road trip around the east coast and had to stop and restart the truck over two dozen times on that trip for the sole purpose of resetting LC.

I really hope this issue somehow gets back to Ford proper so they can fix it with an OTA, because I've given up on trying to explain it to my dealer.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
You can actually disable the driver attentive/alert monitoring setting, I have it disabled anyway, so I didn't think that's what was causing it, but who knows. I've definitely looked away plenty of times and had it not do this. The theory in some other thread was that it may be related to rain/bugs/etc getting in view of the camera and it thinking it no longer has a clear enough view to function safely, but that wouldn't explain at all why just stopping/starting the truck makes it suddenly work fine again.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
You can actually disable the driver attentive/alert monitoring setting, I have it disabled anyway, so I didn't think that's what was causing it, but who knows. I've definitely looked away plenty of times and had it not do this. The theory in some other thread was that it may be related to rain/bugs/etc getting in view of the camera and it thinking it no longer has a clear enough view to function safely, but that wouldn't explain at all why just stopping/starting the truck makes it suddenly work fine again.
How did you disable that? FORScan?

OP
OP
Pete6114

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
So, LC and LK are not 2 separate systems. Can not get LK to work for me without pressing the button on the steering wheel, which enables LC. So, whats the point in having LK.....
As far as LC goes, it's buggy. keeps telling me to put hand'S on the wheel (not allowing to drive one-handed), even if they are. But i think it wants me to hold it at 10&2 o'clock., and that's not happening, rendering it useless to me.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So, LC and LK are not 2 separate systems. Can not get LK to work for me without pressing the button on the steering wheel, which enables LC. So, whats the point in having LK.....
As far as LC goes, it's buggy. keeps telling me to put hand'S on the wheel (not allowing to drive one-handed), even if they are. But i think it wants me to hold it at 10&2 o'clock., and that's not happening, rendering it useless to me.
I can have LK active without LC, but not the other way around on my 502A.

As for the "Hands on Wheel" message, that will appear every 30 secs or so that the wheel doesn't register any input, ie turning resistance. You can drive one handed, and you can place your hand anywhere on the wheel you like, you just need to give the wheel a little resistance while it is engaged.

I know it seems stupid and counter intuitive, but it's designed to register the resistance as attention. Even if you keep your hands on the wheel, you will still see the message quite a bit. Just give the wheel a very very slight turn in one direction or the other (basically adding resistance to the LC) and the message will disappear again.

Sponsored

BUNEDOX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
When LC is active, what does the cluster show on a 302A? I do not think I have LC, but have the LK. When adaptive cruise is on with the LK, it nearly drives its self and just about will besides giving me alerts to hold the wheel. It gives me those annoying alerts on very straight sections of highway, even with two hands gripping the wheel, just because I have providing very little input if any at all. I ether have to turn off the LK to keep a slight pull to one side.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
When LC is active, what does the cluster show on a 302A? I do not think I have LC, but have the LK. When adaptive cruise is on with the LK, it nearly drives its self and just about will besides giving me alerts to hold the wheel. It gives me those annoying alerts on very straight sections of highway, even with two hands gripping the wheel, just because I have providing very little input if any at all. I ether have to turn off the LK to keep a slight pull to one side.
What you are describing sounds very much line Lane Centering to me. On the Driver Assistance menu icon does it show two green lines on either side of the truck, or a blue circle around it? The green bars indicate that LK is active, the circle indicates that LC is active.

Adaptive Cruise is indicated by the half circle in front of the truck icon. When AC and LC are both active you will have a blue circle around the truck, and a blue half circle in front of that.

Ford F-150 Lane centering vs lane keeping PXL_20210808_203715042

Obviously this is the 12" display, but I imagine that the icons are very similar between trim levels.

Last edited:

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Lane Keeping can work all the time. If you want to turn it off use the button on the wheel.

Lane Centering only works while you have Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control on. If you want to disable LC while ACC is on you can turn it off in the center screen menu.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Lane Keeping can work all the time. If you want to turn it off use the button on the wheel.

Lane Centering only works while you have Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control on. If you want to disable LC while ACC is on you can turn it off in the center screen menu.
Intelligent (reading speed limit signs) is not required for lane centering, only adaptive.

BUNEDOX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
I snapped a quick pic that I will try to make myself post from my iphone later tonight but I have the XLT gage cluster. When what I am describing is on I have a blue upside down U ahead on my truck like a forward wake. The front sensing radar indicators look about the same. The smaller blue indicator in front of the truck and what I think is a graphic of an ?explorer? it is maintaining distance to.
Sponsored