First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I think it is worth it if you go off the beaten path hunting etc, for me I just wanted the locking axle so I didn’t really look at the FX4 trucks that were on the lot. I deal with deep Buffalo NY snow, launching my boat at the ramp, and occasionally off roading at the cabin but they are just seasonal mud roads. I decided I didn’t need the skid plates but the locker was a requirement for me. If you don’t see severe off roading I’d just order the locker a la carte and call it a day. The oil changes were a pain in the butt with the older FX4 too, not sure if the skid plate still sits in the way, I’m sure someone can chime in on that.
Skid plates are always a plus.

My 2014 i ordered did not have them. At 5k miles, i was headin down highway to work. I saw the copper bus bar to late to avoid it. Damn thing stuck right in my gas tank. Full tank of gas too.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
You guys are missing out. Everyone knows stickers are good for at least 5hp per.
True but the offset of the stickers wind drag\resistance isnt worth it...

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I got the powerboost and opted for continuous controlled damping shocks over fx4 package.
You didn't want the eggcarton material protective plate????

Sponsored

capiche87

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB 701a 4x4; 1985 Ford Bronco II
Occupation
Veterinarian
You didn't want the eggcarton material protective plate????
ha! I was planning on adding aftermarket skid plates at some point in time.

I can’t believe they don’t use steel plates anymore. My 2018 f150 5.0 had a steel skid plate on fx4 package. I would have expected it with any 2023 fx4.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ha! I was planning on adding aftermarket skid plates at some point in time.

I can’t believe they don’t use steel plates anymore. My 2018 f150 5.0 had a steel skid plate on fx4 package. I would have expected it with any 2023 fx4.
Amen, my '15 has a nice plate. Was just under '22 today and it's just a huge fibrous cardboard.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
🤔... Saving that money in part for Fox dsc shocks and serious bash plates. I'm too old to crawl rocks, and I can crawl down hills just fine in 4L 1st, thank you very much. For me, FX4 is a waste 😬

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Amen, my '15 has a nice plate. Was just under '22 today and it's just a huge fibrous cardboard.
I think the fiber stuff isn't really a skid plate, but something designed to improved underflow and mpgs. My 22 FX4 has a heavy steel plate running the length of the gas tank and two aluminum (?) plates over the engine and transfer case. Probably also helps with mpg too on the highway if the theory still applies.

Tbh, I wouldn't be opposed to a lighter stiff kevlar blanket over the entire underside if it offered similar protection and didn't pose such maintenance access issues. The entire underside of my Mazdas are literally a flat plastic set of sheets for mpgs, and that cx30 is an AWD NA car pushing 36 mpg highway with no cvt nonsense.

Chease44

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat - Star White 3.5 Eco 157” WB
I think the perceived value of the FX4 package depends on what other packages you get. For me max tow was the most important and already includes the locking rear diff, if I added FX4 as well I would have been paying for the locker twice. I was able to add the skid plates to the build for $120 if I remember right, and I have no use for hill descent control. There are so many possible combinations for these trucks, it’s hard to know everyone’s situation and if the FX4 package is worth it.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
A 15 should be a gen 13 truck, those came with the fiber panel for the transmission. I had 16 with FX4 and had the fiber panel. Same setup as my 22.

As said it's not a skid plate but for noise and air flow under the truck. Keeps the air turbulence and drag down.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The skid plates are not cardboard. The "upper" trims have that for other purposes.

I can take pics of my 22 Fx4, but there is 7 inches of snow on the ground, and I aint laying on that.

sguido2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Not sure what everyone is looking at, my FX4 Lariat has steel skid plates. Better to have then not! Worth the 1k, and my sweet sticker ain’t going nowhere

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Not sure what everyone is looking at, my FX4 Lariat has steel skid plates. Better to have then not! Worth the 1k, and my sweet sticker ain’t going nowhere
I mean my 22 might be steel, but I was really thinking the eng and trans skid plates were aluminum because they're unpainted, but the gas tank skid plate (DEFINITELY steel) was painted black.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN, FPD, CCSO
Hmm, I was wondering if I was missing something. Guess not.

Picked up my new Rattler yesterday, which is supposed to have the FX4 skid plates. Looked under it and was dismayed to see the transmission exposed, a skid plate under the front axle/oil pan and a small skid plate under the transfer case. Oh yea, one under the gas tank too. Overall the protection seemed pretty light for a vehicle touted to be off road ready.

Guess I'll look into aftermarket skid plates, at least for the transmission.
Sponsored