Sponsored

Trading a 12th gen for a 14th gen worth it?

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XLT, 2012 Buick Verano
I’m probably gonna get a lot of biased answers but I’ll ask anyway, is it worth trading/selling my 2012 for a 2021+ truck? I’m just wondering if the quality of the new trucks is better than the older trucks? My 2012 needs a cam phaser replacement and some detail work but otherwise it’s a solid truck with 116K miles on it.

EDIT: Does anyone regret trading their 12th gen compared to 13 or 14th gen?
Sponsored

Last edited:

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
I would say that you are entering a time of increasing need a repairs to your 2012... hard to say what the next problem would be but if you budget for cost and downtime might not be that big of deal.

the new tech in the new trucks is pretty amazing and worth it in my opinion but only you know your money situation and needs/ wants.

Do what is best for you...

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
My 2011 had a bit more miles than you have, timing chain startup rattle was returning after having fixed it twice already. Body was rusting a little from living in the salt zone. It was time for me. I'm quite happy with my used 2021 purchase. I have always bought new but went with used still within factory warranty and added ESP plus farkles I'm still $15k+ under new Granger price. I have every delete removed from Lariat models for 22-23. I really didn't NEED a new truck, but wanted something different after 12 years.

It's up to you if you want to keep riding out longer if you don't have the accident history (rear ended) like I did you have a lot better value on it. 2024 doesn't look as bad as I was expecting on pricing and they cram more standard features into lower level trims making them more attractive if you want to go new.

OP
OP

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XLT, 2012 Buick Verano
My 2011 had a bit more miles than you have, timing chain startup rattle was returning after having fixed it twice already. Body was rusting a little from living in the salt zone. It was time for me. I'm quite happy with my used 2021 purchase. I have always bought new but went with used still within factory warranty and added ESP plus farkles I'm still $15k+ under new Granger price. I have every delete removed from Lariat models for 22-23. I really didn't NEED a new truck, but wanted something different after 12 years.

It's up to you if you want to keep riding out longer if you don't have the accident history (rear ended) like I did you have a lot better value on it. 2024 doesn't look as bad as I was expecting on pricing and they cram more standard features into lower level trims making them more attractive if you want to go new.
Yeah that’s what we’re looking at, a used 2021 in either a 302a or any kind of Lariat. Something that’s more comfortable for traveling since mine is kind of barebones. It’s just a little upsetting to get rid of it after 11 years and a lot of memories in the truck including our honeymoon trip. It’s upsetting my wife a lot cuz she’s sentimental. It’s like putting a dog down. I’d love to keep both but we don’t have the space here in the city for both, and it'll just sit and rot at her parent’s 2nd house way out in the country. That’s what happened to her dad’s car. He parked it in a little metal garage behind the house and it never moved again for 30+ years.

That’s a great idea about the ESP. Can you buy an ESP at any Ford dealer even if you didn‘t purchase a pre-owned from a Ford dealer? Now that I’m almost 40 and more settled down, gonna try to take better care of this next one. It was difficult taking care of my current one, just didn’t have the time—transitioning out of the military, working full time, school full time, buying a house, going on family trips 2-3 times an year, etc.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Yeah that’s what we’re looking at, a used 2021 in either a 302a or any kind of Lariat. Something that’s more comfortable for traveling since mine is kind of barebones. It’s just a little upsetting to get rid of it after 11 years and a lot of memories in the truck including our honeymoon trip. It’s upsetting my wife a lot cuz she’s sentimental. It’s like putting a dog down. I’d love to keep both but we don’t have the space here in the city for both, and it'll just sit and rot at her parent’s 2nd house way out in the country. That’s what happened to her dad’s car. He parked it in a little metal garage behind the house and it never moved again for 30+ years.

That’s a great idea about the ESP. Can you buy an ESP at any Ford dealer even if you didn‘t purchase a pre-owned from a Ford dealer? Now that I’m almost 40 and more settled down, gonna try to take better care of this next one. It was difficult taking care of my current one, just didn’t have the time—transitioning out of the military, working full time, school full time, buying a house, going on family trips 2-3 times an year, etc.
If it's within 3 years and 36k from original purchase you can get ESP on it easily with a place like Granger. My truck was first purchased in May 21 so I would have until May 24 but I doubt I would find one then under 30k miles then.

If you buy from a Ford dealer you might be able to get "gold certified" which adds an extended warranty but it's not the same as Premium ESP. The key is just finding what you want under 36k miles.

Doesn't matter if it's a Ford dealer to get ESP. Just need to be under the milage requirements.

I would suggest buying Ford Protect ESP online and nothing less. The only BS I had on my purchase was them trying to sell me some no name extended warranty. No sale.

Sponsored

Boss351

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
I just went through this last month as my 2012 SCrew XLT got totalled at 165k miles. I loved that truck and had planned on getting to 200k or more with it. Just before the total I had to get the rear main changed as it started leaking pretty good. Anyway I needed a replacement and went used and got a 21 XLT with 302A with 18k miles. Because of the electronics I purchased an ESP on line. Honestly this truck is the equivalent of a Lariat of 2012. It’s just that nice. Hell back then a XL was considered a work truck but today the XL can be found as nicely equipped as my old XLT. I have no regrets about getting the newer truck.

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
I bought a 2021 F150 Platinum with 50K miles. You can get a Ford ESP still. However, after 41K miles, you need the truck inspected. Zeigler Ford. Promo code. PAYINFULL

It's a huge difference from my 2011 F150 FX4 with 192k miles. Same motor. Same gears. I didn't want to make the move, but I needed to do something. 2018-2020 didn't do it for me. Felt like I was driving the same truck still, minus the 10 speed.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Ziegler costs more than Granger, both lay out their costs on the websites, and have easy quote process to compare.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I bought a new truck to get airbags and another truck to have a diesel V-8 for towing. I would never buy a new truck to have a newer model if my current one was still reliable.

You are going to pay more than $6,000 in sales tax and DMV fees and a new truck will increase your annual DMV fees and your auto insurance cost.

You have a low mileage truck that you know has been maintained properly and not abused so the future costs of repairs can be estimated with reasonable accuracy.

I use carcomplaints.com and other websites to learn of particular problems with a given model year and engine and other components. With Ford the 2018 and 2019 trucks had transmsision problems that cost $7,000 to fix.

Ford F-150 Trading a 12th gen for a 14th gen worth it? F-150 Common Problems.JPG

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I traded my 2014 STX SuperCab 5.0 for a 2021 XLT SuperCrew 3.5 and my 2021 has been the most problematic vehicle I've ever owned.

When I got my 2021, I had a loose nut rolling around inside my driver's door, small dings on the hood, a scuff on the interior b-pillar trim, dash rattles, door panel rattles, the rear axle u-bolts weren't fully tightened, my wiper arms were loose, and the under-body insulators weren't properly attached.

My 2021 currently has about 11,500 miles on it. During my ownership, the timing cover on my 3.5 started leaking oil on the passenger side at about 6,000 miles, my 400W power inverter has stopped working entirely, there's an internal memory fault in my instrument cluster, I have a small oil leak that seems to be coming from the transmission output seal, the resonator started rattling, my tailgate started opening by itself, my bed lights stopped working because Ford messed up an OTA update, outgoing calls don't work properly anymore due to an OTA update, my bluetooth doesn't work properly anymore due to an OTA update, and now my 12" screen will randomly reboot.

Build quality and customer satisfaction clearly aren't priorities at Ford, but the competition charges more and isn't problem free either. If you want a good vehicle with minimal issues, you shouldn't buy a new one, quality is way down in the past few years. Don't buy a new vehicle just for the sake of buying something new.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Sounds like a great truck when you get the issues sorted.

This one had leaky front differential pinion seal fixed under warranty before I bought it. Waiting to see if anything else comes out of that repair. Updates were over year behind so did all that myself.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I’m probably gonna get a lot of biased answers but I’ll ask anyway, is it worth trading/selling my 2012 for a 2021+ truck? I’m just wondering if the quality of the new trucks is better than the older trucks? My 2012 needs a cam phaser replacement and some detail work but otherwise it’s a solid truck with 116K miles on it.

EDIT: Does anyone regret trading their 12th gen compared to 13 or 14th gen?
Get your cam phaser fixed and buy an extended warranty...

Honestly, I had a 2015 Platinum and I do wish I had it back. It was an amazing truck and the Sony system beats the crap out of the B&O all day long. (Im actually going to post a Q about speakers in my 22 after this). Just ystrdy I was listening to the stereo (thumbdrive) received a call and after hang up, music ONLY came out the right side. Tweaked balance to left fully and had no sound at all, back to middle and sound again only came out the right side.

Interest rates are unGodly right now... and I still see the same idiots ready to vote the same way next November, so I dont see anything changing with rates. If your truck is paid off, or close to paid off, honestly keep it, especially if you like it. And with the money saved you can add extra tweaks to make it even 'more your fit'. I would redirect your down payment from a new truck to 100k-125k mile maintenance. Timing chain, all new cam phasers, and other recommended maintenance.

Your call in the end, but taking out a loan on a potential, (it really does seem to be a roll of the dice\luck of the draw) problematic truck, might be best to just keep the ol' gal.....

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ziegler costs more than Granger, both lay out their costs on the websites, and have easy quote process to compare.
Granger was more $ for me due to the promo code I had at Ziegler. PAYINFULL.

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Calson- My insurance is $3 more a month than my 2011 was.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Granger was more $ for me due to the promo code I had at Ziegler. PAYINFULL.
Interesting, was $100+ higher for me even with that promo that never ends. Always good to shop around. :)
Sponsored