Sponsored

Extended warranty

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
I'm looking into getting an extended warranty for my truck. I found through granger they have ford protect. Is that what everyone else has or another one thays better. Ford protect offers from 3y/36000m to 10y/175000m and all between. What's everyone got on years and miles of extended warranty
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think it's most often called Ford ESP.
Ford branded.
Not the only good extended warranty in the automotive world, but less risky than most.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Ford Protect is the new name for ESP.
It is the easiest no hassle insurance to get honored at every Ford dealer in US Canada and I think even Mexico but have to read on that.
Accept nothing else on a Ford vehicle.

You have until 36k until you pay an extra surcharge on top of the extra $100 you pay after 12mo/12k.

FYI if you do buy from Granger you'll see mysterious air conditioner work in your service history on FordPass. That goes in at full retail of ESP and you'll earn Ford Points off it if you are into that stuff.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I did 8/125,000 on my 2015.
Sold the truck at 7yrs 10months old and 123,000.
You need to calculate your driving patterns through the first 2.5yrs and go with that.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Oh yeah...
The term starts on original purchase date. People get that confused.

I bought my used truck April 23, original owner bought it May 21.
9 year 100k because I don't drive much in summer so I'm good until May 2030.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
granger, zeigler, flood etc
all will work with you
i have used zeigler and got IMO excellent price
however my last 2 i showed my dealer the quote and they beat them by a few dollars and on my used fusion for the grandchild they did the vehicle inspection for free

my advice is get quotes and then see if our local guy or selling dealer will meet or beat

but in the end the servicing place doe snot care where you buy it or how much
all they see is ESP coverage and go from there,

its actually very good for the dollars , especially if you get it for 1/2 of MSRP

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
What's everyone got on years and miles of extended warranty
IMO the term / miles I or anyone else has shouldn't drive your decision.

I suggest you look at your own past ownership history, consider an adjustment based on your personal economic forecast, and go for the term and miles you best estimate corresponding to the term and miles you realistically expect to own the truck.

Yes, you can buy 'excess' term / miles but IMO you likely won't recover that cost even if you sell the vehicle and transfer the ESP to an individual buyer; you certainly won't recover that cost if you trade the vehicle and cancel the contract as allowed at any time for the pro-rated refund of the unused portion (based on time or miles whichever yields the lowest refund).

Also, it's often assumed when folks talk about Ford ESP / Ford Protect, but I'll make it explicit: IMO the "PremiumCare" plan is the only way to go, not one of the lesser cost / much lesser coverage other plans offered by Ford.

Just for your consideration, Happy Shopping! :)

Madd-Dog

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
Went with Granger and the Premium Care option for a 6y/100k that fit my need perfectly. I didn’t select all the options I should have up front but after reading this forum, added some on a few months later.

It is great piece of mind if you plan to keep your vehicle for a while. They don’t make the selection easy with the term, mileage, deductible, and add on options though. 😉

Just my opinion. Good luck with your research and selection.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
As others have said look at your driving history and anticipated driving history and use that as a guide. If you use the Granger ESP chart you can easily compare the years/miles to cost to see what works for you. Overpaying $200 bucks now for an extra year or extra miles can be pennies worth of insurance in case your driving habits increase. Use that chart though to see your personal sweet spot.

If it matters Granger also just announced 0% financing for 18 months with only 20% down on new ESP's. 0% is nice if you need this little break. Good luck and get the PremiumCare not the lower versions and the LED lights if your truck has those. I did 10 year 100K but I will use the years before the miles now that I work from home.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Thanks for all the responses. I had been wanting to get an extended warranty on this truck it really saved my bacon on a ram I used to own. Had an internal oil leak and blew the engine cost me $100 for a brand new hemi 5.7.
I was starting to sweat because I thought I'd read somewhere that it had to be within 12 months and less than 12000 miles to put one on it. But in these responses it seems thats not the case. Can someone confirm this . And if so does the price of extended warranty go up as I get more miles on truck. Example if I find a coverage now with less than 12000m for say $1000 will the same coverage be $1700 if I have 22000m.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
@Granger Ford can help explain it.

They were very responsive to me over email when they were just getting the program off the ground last year.

As I said above it's $100 surcharge over 12/12k then again at 3/36 not sure how much that one adds. Nothing added in between. After 40k you have to get inspection done before you can get coverage.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
@Granger Ford can help explain it.

They were very responsive to me over email when they were just getting the program off the ground last year.

As I said above it's $100 surcharge over 12/12k then again at 3/36 not sure how much that one adds. Nothing added in between. After 40k you have to get inspection done before you can get coverage.
Ok so by surcharge wahe exactly is that. Yes I should know this but I've always just gotten the wxtended warranty at truck purchase but didn't this time since this is first brand new truck bought. Wasn't thinking till I read on here how expensive things are if they go bad. Lol.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Ok so by surcharge wahe exactly is that. Yes I should know this but I've always just gotten the wxtended warranty at truck purchase but didn't this time since this is first brand new truck bought. Wasn't thinking till I read on here how expensive things are if they go bad. Lol.
Remember too that ESP's work from the truck's birthdate, not when you purchase it. An 8 year ESP extends the coverage to 8 years period, not another 8 years on top of when you purchase it.

If you are still deciding whether you want to keep the truck, then wait. (However you can get a prorated rebate though) If you know that your driving habits may radically change shortly, then wait. (You can always increase this within a certain period of time though)

If however you like the truck and plan on keeping it and plan on getting an ESP for it, unless you have outside forces preventing you from getting one, there is little benefit to waiting. Good luck.

OP
OP
Lricaud81

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Obyeah I knew it's from birthrate not after the 3/36. It'd be nice if it didn't start till after that tho. Lol.
I do plan on keeping for a long time

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just want to add that Ford raises the prices on the ESP every January (more or less, most definitely in the 1st Qtr) and sometimes they will raise the price twice a year. Also if you pay the entire cost upfront with Zeigler you can get either either a $200 or $250 discount (I forgot the exact amount), off of their quoted prices and you can also use your Ford Points for additional savings but the others might do that as well. With that being said, call around and get quotes from Granger and Flood also. Even with the Paid In Full discount from Ziegler they'll all be fairly close in price. As a side note, Zeigler is authorized to sell the ESP and Premium Care for FL. I do not know if they can discount FL quotes because FL has some rules but check them out.
Sponsored

Last edited: