First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited power boost hybrid
Occupation
Tour operator
I purchased a F150 limited power boost hybrid on January 5th, here’s my issue, I bought a 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty I expressed I wanted a factory warranty and I mentioned a website that I could get that warranted from a Ford dealer that sells the warrantees on line for less than my dealer quoted. The F&I guy looked at his computer and said he could do that warranty for 100.00 more but I was there and I just had him do it.
‘I just found out because the warranty wasn't listed on my Ford pass app and I called in to ask why, that they sold me an aftermarket warranty that they claim is the same thing but they didn’t tell me at the time it wasn’t a Ford warranty.
Am I right to be upset? What should I do? The F&I guy I spoke with (not the same that sold me, he’s off) said there GM quit so there’s no one to talk to. The owner is there on Mondays between 9 and 12 so I just missed him. What would you do?
Sponsored

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I purchased a F150 limited power boost hybrid on January 5th, here’s my issue, I bought a 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty I expressed I wanted a factory warranty and I mentioned a website that I could get that warranted from a Ford dealer that sells the warrantees on line for less than my dealer quoted. The F&I guy looked at his computer and said he could do that warranty for 100.00 more but I was there and I just had him do it.
‘I just found out because the warranty wasn't listed on my Ford pass app and I called in to ask why, that they sold me an aftermarket warranty that they claim is the same thing but they didn’t tell me at the time it wasn’t a Ford warranty.
Am I right to be upset? What should I do? The F&I guy I spoke with (not the same that sold me, he’s off) said there GM quit so there’s no one to talk to. The owner is there on Mondays between 9 and 12 so I just missed him. What would you do?
I'd be upset. I'd bet he just went with an aftermarket warranty so that he could still get a margin out of the sale compared to the factory warranty option.

At the end of the day, you asked for a factory warranty. Reason's don't really matter. That's what you asked for. It's reasonable to believe that they would provide as much. It's also NOT reasonable for you to be able to discern the difference while sitting in the F&I office after they beat you up for hours on a new car deal.

I'd take it up with the owner.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I try to be one that looks on the bright side and gives the benefit of the doubt, but from what you've described, they sure seem like they're playing you. Sorry, just going to give you a perspective from what you've wrote. Hopefully, you find it helpful.

1. Yes, I'd be definitely upset. If you're being honest in what you wrote - and I don't doubt you - they knew you'd have a hard time catching their mis-representation of the warranty. A quick look shows that TN doesn't have a cooling off period for auto deals, so once you signed, it was a done deal. They sell cars every day, you don't buy every day. They can masterfully play these games, and you have to be on top of every detail to spot it. Don't beat yourself up.

2. If they mis-represented it like you say, I don't buy the other F&I guy "off work" today. He's probably in the break room eating a ham sandwich. The GM that quit? Yeah, sitting next to the F&I guy talking about the NCAA title game that's going to be on later today. The owner that you just missed? Sure, he comes to his dealership for 3 hours a week on Monday only. I'll bet if you sent a buddy of yours in that dealership an hour later that wanted to buy 30 fleet vehicles, but wanted to talk to the owner first, you'd hear a door slam open so fast it would make your head spin. You get the picture. Are all of the things possible that they told you? Sure, absolutely. Are they likely for a dealership that misrepresented what they were selling you? I just don't buy it. I don't see you ever getting time with the owner. He's going to be sick, in a meeting, not in the next Monday, you name it. Again, from my eyes, they aren't being straight with you, and that's not a reflection of you, just the way some people run things.

3. Options? I don't know. Honestly, maybe not a lot of good ones, unfortunately. At my company, one of the benefits in our package is that we can opt-in for legal services. Normally, it covers family matters, estate planning, etc. I have no idea if where you work if you have something similar, but maybe you could bend an ear of a trusted legal expert just to give you any lay of the land that you might have. I would hate to get your hopes up, and I doubt you'd ever come out ahead fee wise, but at the very least, you might learn what's available and what's not. Honestly, though, a shady dealership has been down this road before and knows just how far they can push the line. If it doesn't cost you anything, I'd check into it just for learning, but don't expect it to be a viable path to a workable resolution.

4. This is the last and probably most viable thing I can think of and it's still hard to say how effective it would be. That would be to go to dealerrater.com and tell your story. I used that site to read reviews on potential dealerships that I was going to work with when buying my truck. Take your time, put together an honest, pointed, factual review. Have someone proof it before hand if you need to so that you keep the emotion out. When I read that site, I found the well written ones very informative. Dealerships that cared about their reputation followed up with customers who had quality feedback. People just venting were mostly ignored. What you're hoping is to craft an honest, fair and critical review that other people can respect and this dealership doesn't want showing them in a bad light.

Hopefully something in there will be helpful, or maybe give you some ideas.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Yes, I'd be upset. You should speak with the GM/owner and tell them you were baited and switched and need this policy cancelled and a new Ford ESP one started for the same price.

imgone10

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 FJ Cruiser, 15 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2021 Lariat.
Occupation
Construction / US Army 84-96
You could try and contact Ford directly.

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Can you call the company which the warranty is through? Usually you can get a refund on the warranty before it goes into effect
Sponsored