Sponsored

5 Star "Extended Warranty" or similar extended warranty ?

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Hey guys!!

I've had my truck since August 21 ('21 SC XLT, 3.5EB, Space White, 302A). I've put on 32k miles on it and am coming up on the end of my warranty. I've had zero real issues w/ the truck, minus an over-the-air update that corrupted a few modules that couldn't be resolved by the incompetent local dealership. That's not why I'm here though...

I'd like to hear your opinions on extended warranties – in particular the Five Star Vehicle Service plan. Seems pretty good: 60k miles coverage from the date of purchase for $2500. It's also transferable for $75 and I can pay for it using a payment plan. The payment plan is also 0% interest.

If you have other suggestions in terms of plans, I'd like to hear it!

Cheers,
- Dylan
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Personally I would never buy a 3rd party 'extended warranty'. IMO there's just too much risk of hassles and/or delays when a 3rd party is involved.

With a genuine Ford ESP every Ford dealer is fully up-to-speed in dealing with the warranty administration and it's completely built-in to all of the dealer's normal service and warranty administration automated / computerized systems - the process is as seamless and transparent for the customer as it can possibly be. It's super-easy and familiar for the dealer and that means it's super easy for the customer.

Take great care if looking at a contract that lists what it does cover as opposed to the type that lists what it does not cover.

A list of things which are covered is inevitably an opening for the surety to say "nope, that part isn't specifically named, so it's not covered".

Among the genuine Ford ESP Plans, "PremiumCare" is of the desirable latter type (it explicitly covers everything except what is specifically listed as not covered, and that's a relatively short and understandable list).

If inclined to an extended warranty on a Ford vehicle I'd always go with the genuine Ford PremiumCare ESP. Here's one very competitive dealer's website for getting a quote, there are several others

https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
You can get third party warranties that do cover quite a bit of stuff. Most are fairly good and have decently low deductibles. My parents have keep an aftermarket warranty on their 2009 Saturn VUE and have gotten more than their money's worth from each renewed policy. I'd definitely look into one from Granger.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Have you read the exclusions and limitations in the 5-star "Ultimate Coverage Plan" ??

Note labor reimbursement is based on average rates in the marketplace of the repair with an an absolute $100/hr labor rate cap. (n)

With a genuine Ford PremiumCare ESP labor rate is never an issue as long as the work is done by a Ford dealer.

Do you want to gamble on where labor rates may go during your 60k miles of coverage, or what they are today at a reputable repair facility if you break down in a high-priced city? Note that "labor" is quite often the most significant component of a repair bill.

There was a guy on the 5G Ranger forums who had an engine failure with running an aftermarket tune with a powertrain warranty from the tuner. The dealer determined the failure (broken rod that punched through the block) was the result of the tune causing excessive detonation. Since he had purchased the engine protection warranty with the tune (I think it was either 5* or maybe Livernoise can't remember the tuner) they worked with him to get a new engine and I think his only out of pocket expense was labor or something like that.
If you're looking for warranty coverage for the consequences of damage due to non-OE mods then you're in a very different and special situation compared to the vast majority of ESP buyers. Special warranties provided by aftermarket component vendors are a different animal entirely and are of course always '3rd party'.

All vehicle manufacturer ESP's and most general coverage 3rd party ESP's (including the linked 5-Star) specifically exclude damage caused by non-OE mods (just like the OE vehicle warranty from the factory excludes that type of damage as allowed by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

Last edited:

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Read the fine print, these companies are not in business to give money away. A friend has a F350 and tows a small aluminum fishing boat now and then. His trans started acting up so he took it to a dealer, third party warranty company sent out a guy and he saw a hitch in the receiver and denied the claim no questions asked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHBPhoto

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight. I'll look into Ford specific extended warranty plans.

WestlakeHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 (on order)
Agreed with other posters. I would only buy the Ford ESP. You can shop Ziegler, Granger and maybe one more that is frequently posted on this website.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I got a 8/100 50$ deductible with first day rental car and lighting coverage from Ford for 1825$ at Zeigler. Why would you go 3rd party?

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Hey guys!!

I've had my truck since August 21 ('21 SC XLT, 3.5EB, Space White, 302A). I've put on 32k miles on it and am coming up on the end of my warranty. I've had zero real issues w/ the truck, minus an over-the-air update that corrupted a few modules that couldn't be resolved by the incompetent local dealership. That's not why I'm here though...

I'd like to hear your opinions on extended warranties – in particular the Five Star Vehicle Service plan. Seems pretty good: 60k miles coverage from the date of purchase for $2500. It's also transferable for $75 and I can pay for it using a payment plan. The payment plan is also 0% interest.

Cheers,
- Dylan
I would run away from a 3rd party.

Check Ziegler Ford, Flood Ford, I think Lombard Ford, and Grainer Ford. They sell the Ford VIP warranty, at very good prices. Once the Ford plan goes into effect, they are accepted by any Ford Dealer just like the Ford original factory warranry, except for what deductible you choose,

Sponsored

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I just got a Flood Ford premium 10/100,00 $100 deductible with lighting coverage and first day rental for $2400 but my truck is a '22 with 10k mi. (they were the least expensive compared to Zeigler, Granger and others I checked)
I wanted to stay away form 3rd party coverage.

Darrell

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
If you go with Ford ESP, seriously consider adding the LED option as well. IIRC, the headlights do not have replaceable bulbs and a new assembly is $1,500.

The key replacement option is also a good add-on (IMHO).

charmai101

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
I find Granger gives the best deal on warranty plan and their trucks too. For my truck, with X-plan, I thought I got a good deal, but for the same truck, Granger offer better price even without X-plan.

A_carrillo08

First Name
Adolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Does the extended warranty purchased kick in after the bumper to bumper end?
Sponsored