Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
How can we revert back? Any easy way?
I can do it for you.. Ar eyou having the chime issue.

Iceman did the update and he reverted back also because of the chimes diverting to the Cluster rather than the speakers

Soccergk2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Got everything updated in my job 1 2021 powerboost thanks to you all and the mongoose loaner thread. Can’t thank everyone involved enough for helping put this all together. Aside from the sync updates being nice, the updates for the transmission completely changed my truck for the better. Way smoother of a ride now. Worth all the trouble for that alone.

This is the one thing that was the most impressive to me as well. The transmission was never bad for me but holy cow is it absolutely butter smooth now, looked down after pulling away from a stop sign and saw it was already in 4th gear, didn't even notice it shifting. Before the update you could feel it shift even though it wasn't ever really rough.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
How can we revert back? Any easy way?
Before reverting back, you might want to give a revised programming procedure a shot. In the past (e.g., SSM 50739), the DSP was reprogrammed by first cutting power to the DSP to perform a hard reset and then updating the software:

SSM 50739 - 2020-2021 Various Vehicles - Audio Inoperative - No Sound From Audio Speakers -No Communication With ACM Or DSP - DTC U1084, U0237 And/Or U0238
Some 2020-2021 Escape vehicles and 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E/Expedition/Explorer vehicles built on or before 22-Nov-2021 may exhibit a concern of the audio inoperative, no sound from audio speakers, chimes default to coming through the Instrument cluster, no communication with audio control module (ACM) or digital signal processor (DSP) module, and/or DTC U1084, U0237 and/or U0238. This may be due to the software in the DSP. To correct this condition, perform a hard reset of the DSP by disconnecting the 12-volt battery. Reprogram the DSP module using the latest version of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and any applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

The newest procedure to correct the pop/static (SSM 51663) omits the hard reset step. I wonder if that was a mistake on Ford’s part. I haven’t had the chance yet to try updating the DSP using this older procedure to see if it clears the FDRS queue and revises the software version. When I do, I will either pull fuse 28 or pull the power plug on the DSP directly. Disconnecting the battery won’t work on a Powerboost.

It’s interesting that a malfunctioning DSP can cause a host of odd problems, including having chimes misdirected to the instrument cluster. I didn’t have that problem myself after the most recent update which may or may not have installed correctly.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Before reverting back, you might want to give a revised programming procedure a shot. In the past (e.g., SSM 50739), the DSP was reprogrammed by first cutting power to the DSP to perform a hard reset and then updating the software:

SSM 50739 - 2020-2021 Various Vehicles - Audio Inoperative - No Sound From Audio Speakers -No Communication With ACM Or DSP - DTC U1084, U0237 And/Or U0238
Some 2020-2021 Escape vehicles and 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E/Expedition/Explorer vehicles built on or before 22-Nov-2021 may exhibit a concern of the audio inoperative, no sound from audio speakers, chimes default to coming through the Instrument cluster, no communication with audio control module (ACM) or digital signal processor (DSP) module, and/or DTC U1084, U0237 and/or U0238. This may be due to the software in the DSP. To correct this condition, perform a hard reset of the DSP by disconnecting the 12-volt battery. Reprogram the DSP module using the latest version of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and any applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

The newest procedure to correct the pop/static (SSM 51663) omits the hard reset step. I wonder if that was a mistake on Ford’s part. I haven’t had the chance yet to try updating the DSP using this older procedure to see if it clears the FDRS queue and revises the software version. When I do, I will either pull fuse 28 or pull the power plug on the DSP directly. Disconnecting the battery won’t work on a Powerboost.

It’s interesting that a malfunctioning DSP can cause a host of odd problems, including having chimes misdirected to the instrument cluster. I didn’t have that problem myself after the most recent update which may or may not have installed correctly.
Interesting. I applied the update with FDRS a while ago, but I never reset the DSP by cutting the power, and I've had the pop/static issue happen to mine. I am going to try that to see if it happens again or not.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Interesting. I applied the update with FDRS a while ago, but I never reset the DSP by cutting the power, and I've had the pop/static issue happen to mine. I am going to try that to see if it happens again or not.
No joy for me. I cut and restored the power and tried to reinstall the update. Same result. FDRS says that it successfully updated the DSP software from -BH to -BN but a rescan of the module shows that it’s still on -BH. The installer is messed up.

I’d be curious to see if you get different results.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
No joy for me. I cut and restored the power and tried to reinstall the update. Same result. FDRS says that it successfully updated the DSP software from -BH to -BN but a rescan of the module shows that it’s still on -BH. The installer is messed up.

I did this DSP update on my Lightning and *thought* it had done all the programming properly and now suspect that as you say, nothing was accomplished. I took a look at the JSON XML for the package and even though I'm like a hog lookin' at a wristwatch when it comes to some of the update packages it still looks like it was written wrong. I checked my dealer's mannequin and it's still on the same rev for the DSP that my truck is on ("-AJ"), and I know the mannequin hasn't been updated. So I suspect mine was never really updated either.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales

I did this DSP update on my Lightning and *thought* it had done all the programming properly and now suspect that as you say, nothing was accomplished. I took a look at the JSON XML for the package and even though I'm like a hog lookin' at a wristwatch when it comes to some of the update packages it still looks like it was written wrong. I checked my dealer's mannequin and it's still on the same rev for the DSP that my truck is on ("-AJ"), and I know the mannequin hasn't been updated. So I suspect mine was never really updated either.
You guys know a lot more about this than I do. According to PTS FDRS history back in September of last year when I first manually updated my truck:

Audio Digital Signal Processing Module (DSP) - Software Update8:07:10 PMModule software has been updated to - ML3T-14C589-BKButton Pressed : OK

How do I check what my truck actually has?

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
You guys know a lot more about this than I do. According to PTS FDRS history back in September of last year when I first manually updated my truck:

Audio Digital Signal Processing Module (DSP) - Software Update8:07:10 PMModule software has been updated to - ML3T-14C589-BKButton Pressed : OK

How do I check what my truck actually has?
If you ran the update it updated.

The issue is with ford submission.

Two possible issues.. One they havent added the software to the acceptable software list

Two they have a shitty vehicle submission system. Im leaning towards two as its been an issue with PCM updates for the power boost for a while now. Iceman has had the PCM update showing now for a month or two since it was released and installed.

I dont know why Ford cant get the submission to work worth a flip.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
If you ran the update it updated.

The issue is with ford submission.

Two possible issues.. One they havent added the software to the acceptable software list

Two they have a shitty vehicle submission system. Im leaning towards two as its been an issue with PCM updates for the power boost for a while now. Iceman has had the PCM update showing now for a month or two since it was released and installed.

I dont know why Ford cant get the submission to work worth a flip.
If that's the case, then the update does not fix the pop/static issue because I have had it happen twice since I applied that update.

Edit: As a matter of fact, it never happened to me until after I applied that update. I remember when it happened to me the first time, I texted you a video of it as it was happening.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
If that's the case, then the update does not fix the pop/static issue because I have had it happen twice since I applied that update.
It might just be "the power of suggestion", but after applying the DSP update it *seems* like the maximum volume out of the audio system is louder.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

You can look in forscan also. Select the car icon. Click configuration. Scroll to DSP and see what the strategy shows.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
It might just be "the power of suggestion", but after applying the DSP update it *seems* like the maximum volume out of the audio system is louder.
I did hoping it would fix the bass roll-off issue on my aftermarket subs, but it didn't help with that, either.
Sponsored