Programming 2nd PCM Using FDRS

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I recently ordered a second PCM for my truck so that I can send it off to HP tuners to have it unlocked for tuning. I have to program the module before sending it to HP tuners and I'm wondering if it's possible to have two PCMs programmed to the same truck that are essentially identical from a PATS standpoint so that I can swap PCMs without having to run a PMI or deal with PATS issues each time I swap PCMs.

According to Alldata, PCM replacement only requires a PMI, so it doesn't sound like this will cause any PATS issues or require additional steps, but this also isn't a scenario that I would expect Ford to give specific guidance on. If anyone can provide some insight into whether or not this is possible or what specific steps need to be taken to make it possible, I'd would love to hear about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You'll need to ask the fella, @robry, that is pioneering the path you are taking.

I'm now patiently watching both of you 2 gents to see where it all leads. :)

robry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
Missed this thread, but can confirm the original PCM will no longer function without re-running the PATS Module initialization process.

My suggestion is either gaining access to a Ford Dealer login somehow, either developing a relationship with the service manager so you can swap PCMs in the parking lot, OR making friends with a locksmith who has a login. No idea what they would charge, probably 1 hour of labor at the dealer, maybe the locksmith would charge you less? I have another method that is probably "grey" area. End result, it's not really economical to swap PCMs, unless you have a ford dealer account. If you do, you likely don't need to worry about the warranty issues you're trying to avoid in the first place. My 0.02.
Sponsored