Sponsored

Consumer Reports and PB

Tigmd99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 PB
Here is a pic of the latest CR‘s PB ratings.

2023 is the year to buy! :)

Ford F-150 Consumer Reports and PB IMG_9321
Sponsored

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
Here is a pic of the latest CR‘s PB ratings.

2023 is the year to buy! :)

IMG_9321.jpeg
I subscribe to CR. Also, I know that you can’t base your knowledge on just one vehicle. But my ‘21 PB with 57,000 miles has been to the dealership exactly 0 times. There is nothing it needs to go the dealership for. It just strikes me as unbelievable that the truck could be rated so low. (Neither did my previous F150’s need a dealership visit that I can remember)

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
My 2021 PB was great until 83K miles - then all hell broke loose with the transmission. Four times to get it right, finally had to completely replace the whole unit. Was in the shop over 30 days ... I traded it for an 2023 ICE version. So for me - CR is accurate on this one.

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 PB was great until 83K miles - then all hell broke loose with the transmission. Four times to get it right, finally had to completely replace the whole unit. Was in the shop over 30 days ... I traded it for an 2023 ICE version. So for me - CR is accurate on this one.
Is the Powerboost 10 speed transmission different from the one in the ICE’s??

Sponsored

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
Yes, in that the PB has a motor in the front - that motor starts the engine and also acts like a generator in regeneration - that is my understanding. The dealer told me if I were to buy one from him and have it installed without warranty he would charge me $12,500.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Got plenty of Wyoming miles on mine beyond warranty. A few things, but in the end it's a real cruiser on these long Wyoming streets... Effortless runs on I-80. Not a CR issue but think it needs a bigger High Voltage Battery. On level ground it can make not quite a mile. Ought to go for 2-4 miles on that propulsion battery...

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I think that the question is: is the 3.5 EB and 10R80 different between a PB and a regular truck? My understanding is that the electric motor module is designed to look like the bell housing of a 10R80 on the front and the flex plate of a 3.5 EB on the back, i.e. a stock engine and transmission bolt up to it exactly as if it were not there. The ECM/TCM obviously are different, but I think that may be where the issues creep in. All of us have experienced the violent shifts, and the tunes which eliminate gear skipping may be more of a longevity upgrade vs just a quality of life improvement in the PB.

I hope to keep this truck long enough to rebuild the engine and transmission, and getting a NexGenDiesel Towing mod 10R80 is a lot easier if the interfaces are all the same; same with the 3.5.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
No, all of the 10r80s weaknesses are present in every version of them.

The difference w/ the PB's bellhousing is that the flexplate has a clutch that will separate the TC from the ICE, and attached to the TC is the 3 phase motor.
Sponsored