Sponsored

Traded my 21' PB for 23' PB, my thoughts...

Dpxn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost Lariat
So yesterday I finally decided to trade in my 21' Lariat PB pretty much fully loaded aside from the wireless charging pad. I traded in for a 23' Platinum Powerboost. Aside from a huge interest decrease from a 8% to a 3% APR (by Ford), I wanted to do it because of all the '21 issues I experienced. I was hoping upgrading to a later year would get rid of all the first gen problems of the new model change. Here are my thoughts.

My 21' was fully loaded. Pretty much everything you can think of aside from the wireless charger. The 23' I upgraded to was a slight downgrade in my opinion due to the fact that it was a model built with a lot of constraints. The 23' Platinum did not have massaging seats, no advanced security pack, no heated steering wheel, no temperature gauge displays on the dials, and had the CCD with Smart Hitch instead of the FX4 package on my Lariat.

First off, I know the Platinum was brand new so the tires helped in ride quality, but having the CCD instead of the FX4 shocks, the ride quality was more softer. Almost bumpier if you will. I actually preferred the shocks on the FX4 because it felt more planted? over little bumps. The CCD's kept bouncing up and down and didn't feel as rigid. Kind of like a boat. I did rent a '23 XLT with 4x4 and base suspension which I didn't mind, so I am saying this driving all 3 models.

Overall, I'm not impressed by the CCD, but I know I'll get used it over time. The bed camera on the 21 was so much clearer than the 23'. That kind of erked me as I was expecting the same quality if not better. Also I'm not a fan of the automatic running boards with all the noise and lacks the solid feeling of the Lariats built in running boards.

I should note that the issues I was facing with the 21 was having the loose heat shield and having rattling noises under the vehicle and having my rear axle bolt sheared off twice with also a rear axle replacement, I'm hoping the 23 (no max tow package) will be issue free. There was also a time when the dealership did not torque all the bolts properly when doing my axel replacement and the rear end violently shook when I drove for a few days. But nevertheless, I'm happy with the 23' as I know now what too look out for and the interior is a lot more comfortable.

However, if I had to choose between my 21' lariat vs my 23' platinum both being "brand new" and knew they both would be problem free, I'd choose the lariat in a heartbeat.
Sponsored

J17GT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
I echo your comments about CCD. It’s so under-dampened when in normal mode. I can’t stand it… Almost 7000 miles later and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it. Dips in the road are the worst, the truck just bounces up and down like it has blown shocks. I 100% regret checking the box for CCD on my order. Might have to dive into forscan to play with the setting and try and firm up the ride.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i think snakebitten has some words on the ccd stuff
didnt he do something in forscan to change the dampening
i am sure his wisdom will chime in

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I too have a loaded ‘21 PowerBoost, except I have an XLT 302A Sport 4x4. I special ordered it with everything I wanted (hey, everything was still available!) But I specifically avoided certain things that I didn't need or want to save weight, cost, increase reliability, and improve my haul & tow numbers. I avoided Max tow (boy am I glad after seeing the current Max tow issues!). I avoided the notoriously leaky and failure prone sunroof which adds weight, & cost. Lastly, I opted for 4x4 vs. FX4 to save a few $$'s since I very rarely drive off road. It saves a little bit of weight too.

Other than that, I got everything else I could with an XLT premium package. I've seen Lariat's and Plats that are more stripped down than mine.
What I did not get but wanted was heated steering. But I just bought a new heated wheel from a fellow forum member and an HVAC panel from eBay. Just need to enable it with Forscan but I'm waiting for the temps to go down first. This Texas summer has been BRUTAL!

I would be extremely pissed if I had to replace my truck today. I've specc'd dealer trucks and also gone to Ford online and built up an order. In a best case scenario, a replacement would cost me almost $11k more AND I would not get a few features - depending on if they are available at the time of build.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
You don't have a powerboost though correct? Supercabs can't get the PB drivetrain.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I've had 2 PBs already and wouldn't replace it with anything other than a new version. The only thing 22s and 23s brought were deletes so it's nothing more than a new vehicle under the new version drops. I may consider it if they used the larger e-motor and increased the batt to at least 4kWh. I honestly don't have much hope for the refresh so it'll probably be the 26 or so before PHEV shows up.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I gotcha. SC for SuperCrew. It can also be for SuperCab hence the fun yet icky terms Screw and Scab lol.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I've had 2 PBs already and wouldn't replace it with anything other than a new version. The only thing 22s and 23s brought were deletes so it's nothing more than a new vehicle under the new version drops. I may consider it if they used the larger e-motor and increased the batt to at least 4kWh. I honestly don't have much hope for the refresh so it'll probably be the 26 or so before PHEV shows up.
Hopefully they go big on the cooling stack for long incline pulls and don't turn our Unicorn of a truck into a daily commuter waste. Plenty of good options for that role already out there.

*And don't make it so heavy the already gimped payload sticker doesn't leave room for a spare tire...

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Hopefully they go big on the cooling stack for long incline pulls and don't turn our Unicorn of a truck into a daily commuter waste. Plenty of good options for that role already out there.

*And don't make it so heavy the already gimped payload sticker doesn't leave room for a spare tire...
They're lazy and won't make a larger rad for the PB as it's already got the largest they make. Clearly they need a larger one with the e-motor being dumped into the primary loop via the trans, and the aux cooling loop when receiving AC gas causes higher loads on the AC condenser which sits in front of said radiator. The high/hot/heavy condition is an issue due to a 25% loss in rad efficacy at altitude.

One of the things I'll be playing with is a little mist system over the intercooler to see how well IATs can be dropped. Given the PB already has an AC gas to water heat exchanger for the HV component loop, by fooling that system It's possible to cool down a little reservoir to mist some 50 degree water onto the intercooler. Granted it'd be nice if there was a little air to water cooler that could be retrofitted to take advantage of some nice ice-cold water on-demand.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@Dpxn, you might try CCD at its firmest setting just to see if you prefer it over it's softest setting?

I agree that Normal mode certainly is under damped. Way too Buick for me. :)
Reach under the driver's side rear shock and unplug it.
The truck is programmed that if there's a fault, it faults all 4 corners to max damping.

Says something too since the Raptor is programmed just the opposite. It will fault to softest.

Anyways, just unplug that rear and drive around a couple of days. You WILL feel the difference immediately. You might like it far more if you are usually in Normal mode. And it co$t nothing :)

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
They're lazy and won't make a larger rad for the PB as it's already got the largest they make. Clearly they need a larger one with the e-motor being dumped into the primary loop via the trans, and the aux cooling loop when receiving AC gas causes higher loads on the AC condenser which sits in front of said radiator. The high/hot/heavy condition is an issue due to a 25% loss in rad efficacy at altitude.

One of the things I'll be playing with is a little mist system over the intercooler to see how well IATs can be dropped. Given the PB already has an AC gas to water heat exchanger for the HV component loop, by fooling that system It's possible to cool down a little reservoir to mist some 50 degree water onto the intercooler. Granted it'd be nice if there was a little air to water cooler that could be retrofitted to take advantage of some nice ice-cold water on-demand.
Thread that needle sir!

OP
OP

Dpxn

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost Lariat
@Dpxn, you might try CCD at its firmest setting just to see if you prefer it over it's softest setting?

I agree that Normal mode certainly is under damped. Way too Buick for me. :)
Reach under the driver's side rear shock and unplug it.
The truck is programmed that if there's a fault, it faults all 4 corners to max damping.

Says something too since the Raptor is programmed just the opposite. It will fault to softest.

Anyways, just unplug that rear and drive around a couple of days. You WILL feel the difference immediately. You might like it far more if you are usually in Normal mode. And it co$t nothing :)
Haha! Didnt know that! I liked the setting in sport mode, it reminded me of the FX4 shocks I had. Is that the firmest setting? Also where's the plug? Do I need to cover the plug with anything to avoid debris getting in? Sorry for all the questions. Pretty excited there's an option for this.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It'll be a bit firmer than Sport Mode actually. Not uncomfortably though.
It would definitely be my preferred setting if I were to mount heavier AT tires.
Sponsored