Consumer Reports List Powerboost On Least Reliable

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I take it you're going to install those? Trying to repair a sheered bolt will likely happen at a rather inopportune time.
I've not spent a lot of angst yet deciding. But yea, probably.
The only reason I didn't feel like I needed to rush home and do it right away is that I think the evidence is that the vast majority of those that have broken were in a finite time span of build-calendar? Don't recall exactly what the time frame is, but this truck was built a few months later.

But it definitely is a Powerboost Max Tow, so it's the poster child.
Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Edit: decided my post was not relavent enough to the topic...

Last edited:

ajnov073

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 3.5 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost with 17,000 miles no issues at all. Great truck.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Supply chain issues are the end result of auto manufacturers moving so much production out of the United States starting under Reagan who encouraged them to leave and so would weaken the unions. The union busting succeeded but the end result is a fragile supply chain that is easily disrupted and very difficult to fix.

Take note that the companies most affected were the American ones. In Germany it is very different. After that country was destroyed by WW II they realized that having your 25 wealthiest industrialists supporting Hitler was not something they wanted to have happen in the future. As a result they put in laws that corporations are required to have workers on the board of directors. Workers have a long term job security as compared to CEO's that focus on their quarterly bonus.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost and zero issues after 14K miles.

@RandyNC - My ‘21 Platinum Powerboost is at 21,000 miles and has had zero issues (other than a wiper arm replacement that is back ordered).

That said, there is a lot of new tech in this truck. Lots to potentially go wrong. That’s why I bought an extended warranty.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Just made a trip from N Texas to N Dakota and am now at a little over 26k miles. It was a smooth, comfortable drive and never gave me any reason to be concerned about reliability.
I've only had minor glitches with the Sync 4 system and Car Play. Usually, a power cycle will correct it. My biggest gripe is the dealer network and lack of technicians with decent ability and experience. Having a few recalls that can't be addressed because it requires leaving my truck with them for weeks until they can 'get to it' is unacceptable. The couple times I've taken it in for small warranty issues and the recalls, they didn't address everything I wanted them to and recall parts are on backorder.
I enjoy and really like my truck, even with the occasional 'glitch'. I haven't had a vehicle that didn't have SOMETHING needing repairs or recall.

First Name
Connel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost and zero issues after 14K miles.
27k miles since December last year. 0 issues, 0 dealer trips. (knocking on wood) one of my favorite vehicles ever owned.

RandyNC

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost FX4 7.2kW Pro Power
Occupation
Tech Director
@RandyNC - My ‘21 Platinum Powerboost is at 21,000 miles and has had zero issues (other than a wiper arm replacement that is back ordered).

That said, there is a lot of new tech in this truck. Lots to potentially go wrong. That’s why I bought an extended warranty.
Yes. I purchased my first-ever dealer extended warranty when I bought this truck.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Yes. I purchased my first-ever dealer extended warranty when I bought this truck.
It's definitely the Ford VIP plan and not some 3rd party VIP type plan, right?

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I will never be without a Powerboost, or an equivalent equipped truck. For my lifestyle it's a game changing design and raised the bar.

As far as the max-tow bolt breaking concern, I only HOPE that if I were to suffer any of the potential reported maladys, that's the one. Far less "serious" than a misbehaving 10r80-MHT that the dealerships might misdiagnose or drag their feet, for example.

In fact I have the solution for a axle bolt breaking in my hands. Literally
Hard agree in the PB fitting my lifestyle. I can't believe how many things I never considered before its ability to turn itself on and off as necessary to, say, keep the cab warm or cool for sleeping occupants or to power a heated blanket so I can sleep in my trailer.

The axle bolt thing is odd because at LEAST half of my nearly 49,000 miles have been while towing. Mine are still around. For now...

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
The problem areas are listed by category in this article.

"Owners that were surveyed in this latest round cited a few specific problem areas as the main culprits behind this rating, a list that includes the truck’s electrical system, drive system, power equipment, engine, noises, and leaks."

FORD F-150 POWERBOOST HYBRID IS CR’S LEAST RELIABLE VEHICLE

Fishstxy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F-150 FX4, 2022 F-150 Lightning reservation
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I believe the CR rating in question is “Predicted Reliability” It’s not clear what their methodology is for such predictions. I knew this thing was going to be a bit of a gamble. I traded a Lightning for the PB because I need to tow where there are no fast chargers but I really want robust power onboard, so PB. I bought the extended Ford warranty. These machines are very complicated. DIY fix for most problems is not practical because there is so much software involved. The dealer technicians can barely keep up.

I read that quality problems are bad enough at Ford right now to affect the bottom line.

medtech1

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L Hybrid 6.5ft Box
Occupation
IT
2021 F-150 3.5 Hybrid Lariat... 6200 miles (i hardly drive it). Some coolant hose blew (around the transmission?) on the way home from the dealership (never even made it home). 4 days back at the dealer, fixed. Since that, windshield wipers (warranty) replaced, and they replaced some seals off the drive shaft/u-joints (assume the xfer case side) and fixed it while it was in for an oil change. I hope hope hope no issues, as I can't afford another vehicle, and this one blew my bank account to pieces at $85K. The CR ratings didn't make me feel great.
Sponsored