Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Powerboost Egate Black

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Least reliable vehicle on the market according to Consumer Reports, great.

I can't say I'm surprised based on my 6 months of ownership, but I'm still disappointed.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call to Ford to get their act together.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
It would be interesting to see why it was rated so low, but I don't have a Consumer Reports account to sign in and read it

Dunthupl

First Name
Hunt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
FWIW, I saw this video a month or so ago, don't remember what he said.
3 Reasons To AVOID 2022 Ford F-150 - YouTube

I still went forward with my used purchase after hearing this. When it comes down to it (and I think being on this forum for the last month shows) buying a new truck post-pandemic, unless you have to, may not be the best idea... The mechanics are what they are (aside from the new PB) my biggest concern was quality control. Time will tell, but I'm still struggling to understand how this vehicle cost what it cost...

Sponsored

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Ouch.
I logged in to CR to see what they dinged:
"Electrical system, power equipment, drive system, engine, noises & leaks."

Not great. That said, I've had my 21 Powerboost for a little more than a year now, and have only had one minor issue that the dealer took care of pretty quickly. It's a pretty small sample size to judge reliability on, but it is a significantly new thing, so hopefully most folks were aware of the related risk.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i have found you have to take CP with a large grain of salt. they are not that NON BIAS as they say

but yes vehicles have issues, i cant speak for the PB
the pb has tons of NEW stuff to contend with. would be interesting to see actual owners list warranty issues to get a real feel.
the pb having the abiltiy to power your house , or camper or anything is HUGE. who else is doing this? not gm or ram. if one had been available i would have bought one

i for one think vehicles are being built better.
but i have owned many fords since 1988. as far as warranty issues or things driving me nuts. its been pretty low
i have had the share of recall things,
the 2022 has had one warranty repair to tire pressure sensor and one battery that was not right size as specified in builder book. and a recall for tbc
2021 f250 2 warranty one for battery junction box and one for trim installed wrong from factory
my 2016 exp had zero warranty or repairs over its 40k miles
2013 had 2, one was inter cooler and one the sunroof
2006 had the turbo hot side and high pressure oil pump fixed
2002 had zero, and i drove it like it was a rental.
2012 edge, 2 warranty items, rear camera and front struts at 75k miles
1992 had one recall and one ac fix under warranty
1988 one warranty fix of driveshaft u joints that were owner caused
1986 blazer...i dont have enough space to list the problems, including new engine

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I wonder how heavily it is weighted on take rate, or if it is just a total number of complaints/issues. With the number of F-150's sold, I am sure there are tons of PB's out there, whereas a car like a BMW M5 certainly has much fewer sold.

It should be measured in TGW's/1000 (things gone wrong per 1000 vehicles sold). I cannot see the report, but that was how we "normalized" this type of data against the competition when I was still working for Ford.

Verdenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Explorer, Escape
Occupation
Underwear model
I have never found consumer reports to be very robust in the reporting of their findings and often times the gradations sound very differentiated but in reality aren't.

Sponsored

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
If you're disappointed about something you submit a bad review. If you're not then you don't submit a glowing review, you don't even think about it. Soon there's a stack of bad reviews and it looks like the truck has problems when it really doesn't.

Ford sells many thousands of these trucks and hardly any have problems.

Last edited:

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
i have found you have to take CP with a large grain of salt. they are not that NON BIAS as they say
Precisely. CR is not the same as the old CR we all knew and loved. I never used to buy a car w/o looking at their ratings issue. Now? Pffffffffft.... Zero trust.

No, I don't have the documented evidence to share with you here and now. With that said, as I run across it again, I can certainly post it up.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
My wife absolutely adores CR... A source of irritation for me. Need a new appliance or whatever? Off she goes to CR and selects the top rated brand/model in our price range. I can't tell you how many times their ratings for most reliable this, that, or the other turned out to be massive piles of steaming dog :poop:...

Two date CR's ratings have been absolutely dead wrong on two refrigerators, HE washer, three toaster ovens, a stove, and a car... All of these were "Top Picks" for long term reliability/value and were flatlined in under 2 years with exception of the car that would have become a money pit once the warranty was up had I not forced her to trade it in...

The dishwasher was my pick. A Bosch stainless unit that CR ranked low and very unreliable. It's been going strong for 15 freaking years... The only thing I have had to replace was the drain anti-reverse flow valve. Cost me $13 bucks and 15 minutes of time to replace...

Consumer Reports can suck it..

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
Consumer Reports doesn't rate the vehicles, owners do. CR compiles owner survey data, which determines the reliability ratings and ranking. Every CR online member is prompted to take the surveys. Quote from CR below.

"Every year, CR asks its members about problems they’ve had with their vehicles in the previous 12 months. This year, we gathered data on over 300,000 vehicles, from the 2000 to 2022 model years (with a few early-introduced 2023 model years), that address 17 trouble areas, including engine, transmission, in-car electronics, and more. We use that information to give reliability ratings for every major mainstream model."

I've participated in CR's surveys for maybe 15 years. The Q&A is structured in a very objective manner. I see no opportunity for CR to introduce bias. I believe that Jeep has challenged the rankings several times, and in each case CR's compilation of owner experiences have held up in court.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Consumer Reports doesn't rate the vehicles, owners do. CR compiles owner survey data, which determines the reliability ratings and ranking. Every CR online member is prompted to take the surveys. Quote from CR below.

"Every year, CR asks its members about problems they’ve had with their vehicles in the previous 12 months. This year, we gathered data on over 300,000 vehicles, from the 2000 to 2022 model years (with a few early-introduced 2023 model years), that address 17 trouble areas, including engine, transmission, in-car electronics, and more. We use that information to give reliability ratings for every major mainstream model."

Also everytime a vehicle goes through a re-design it's "reliability" scores on CR go into the crapper. Takes a year or two for them to balance out.
Sponsored