Sponsored

Consumer Reports List Powerboost On Least Reliable

capetownkg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, Lariat, PowerBoost, SuperCrew, 6.5’
as I can't afford another vehicle, and this one blew my bank account to pieces at $85K. The CR ratings didn't make me feel great.
You paid 85k for a lariat??
Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader

medtech1

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L Hybrid 6.5ft Box
Occupation
IT
You paid 85k for a lariat??
I bought it in Sept 2021... stock was extremely low everywhere in the country (if not North America) due to production/supply chain issues.

$85K was Fords MSRP plus tax... as no dealer was selling them for less. As someone mentioned, trucks here easily hit $100k now (ie: 3/4 ton diesels etc).

In checking sticker prices in the US, F-150 Ford Lariat Hybrids are +/- $72K USD... but not sure if there is flexibility in the US from dealers yet... $72K USD x 1.34 exchange rate is way more than what I paid in Canada :)

Last edited:

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
One forum at a time…one forum at a time :)
My 21' has had its share of issues . I knew a first year model would have a bit more. Had to change as my 15' expedition had 125,000 and it was time to take advantage of the used market price to sell.

My biggest frustration was that the Generator couldnt stay on if it was wet .i was patient, monitored forums did my own research. Had a few dealer visits where they were reluctant to start disconnecting things . Recently made some good observations about where water intrusion into the connections was most likely. Brought my observations to dealer . They took my lead and replaced the connection i pointed em to and seems as if Generator is back online and not faulting. Have a few more tests to be sure.

Other things not too worried about

1. When cold the Tranny slams into 7th on the way up so i learned to let off throttle a bit from 6 to 7.

2. Cant use keyfob fxn if second key is in car

3. If key is in car and i start remotely with ford pass.. all seems ok unless i extend the running time to 30 minutes.. when that happens and i return to car the folding mirrors dont fold out w switch . Also a safety issue when i get in car .. is the car wont display ready . Steering column unlocks and gearshift unlocks but no power to steering combustion engine doesnt come on but electric lets me move . The way i remedy(unsafe) is backup or go forward slowly . Usually the engine power pops on . If not i have to park . Get out of truck . Lock it . Shut my fird pass app off and usually that resets the PB . Quirky . Unsafe but now i simply only remote start by fordpass for std 15 min and never happens.

4. Solved key buried in car for emergency purpose by putting it in a faraday pouch so truck cant detect it .only detects key in my pocket.

5. Grown to love the 21 PB even w the issues. Very happy the Generator behaving as it should . QC at plant must not be what it once was

Sponsored

Android

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 power boost platinum
Least reliable vehicle on the market according to Consumer Reports, great.

I can't say I'm surprised based on my 6 months of ownership, but I'm still disappointed.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call to Ford to get their act together.
Well ! I have a 2021 powerboost Platinum this is what happened so far total mileage is at 12,000
1st the door cover to the gas fell off the first time I got gas !
2nd lost power towing going up a grade it slowed to 5 mph then sputtered and regained power
3rd random misfires that produced codes
4th In tow haul mode going into 4-5 gears and twice it would not change up or down
Both times I had to stop switched to standard mode and continued on
So far Ford as no answers to my problems and I am still waiting to see what happens
Other than that it rides great !

ndtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Self Employed
My wife absolutely adores CR... A source of irritation for me. Need a new appliance or whatever? Off she goes to CR and selects the top rated brand/model in our price range. I can't tell you how many times their ratings for most reliable this, that, or the other turned out to be massive piles of steaming dog :poop:...

Two date CR's ratings have been absolutely dead wrong on two refrigerators, HE washer, three toaster ovens, a stove, and a car... All of these were "Top Picks" for long term reliability/value and were flatlined in under 2 years with exception of the car that would have become a money pit once the warranty was up had I not forced her to trade it in...

The dishwasher was my pick. A Bosch stainless unit that CR ranked low and very unreliable. It's been going strong for 15 freaking years... The only thing I have had to replace was the drain anti-reverse flow valve. Cost me $13 bucks and 15 minutes of time to replace...

Consumer Reports can suck it..
They don't guarantee their findings. There are exceptions. I've seen people on internet recommend something and it sucked. I've had friends recommend something and it sucked. I've read articles where something sucks, but I have it and it's perfect.

Here's what I can tell you. If someone owns something that CR says sucks, most people say CR sucks because most people like to feel like they chose what's "best". You'll even have some people, when CR says an opposing product to what they own is best (say you own Milwaukee and CR says DeWalt is best or vice versa), those folks often immediately say "Well DeWalt (or Milwaukee, etc) paid off CR.

Lol. No one ever likes to think what they own and paid good money for is sub par. It's human psychology.

I have a 2023. No issues yet other than it had a leaking rear differential.

ndtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Self Employed
CR.....they are not that NON BIAS as they say
Is this your opinion or fact? Lol

Every time anyone ever owns a product that CR give a negative rating to, folks come back with "yeah ...but they are paid off by (insert competitors name)! "
😂

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
I have a 21' Lariat PB and it's been pretty good so far (knock on wood) my issues to date:
  1. the folding shifter broke and left me stranded (it feels like cheap plastic crap)
  2. touch screen, NAV and connection glitches after an update
  3. lights go on/off randomly if I lock the doors after dark, (lights set to automatic mode
    1. there is a TSB on the light switch, calls for replacement
in general, the more electronic and computer controlled crap that's on them... the more chances for something to go wrong.
Build quality at plants has always been a problem, always will be.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I have a 2023. No issues yet other than it had a leaking rear differential.
That’s why CR said the ‘23s suck and ‘22s are the best 😉

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Consumer Reports sends out a survey to all its subscribers each year. On the survey it asks for the vehicles owned and any repairs that were made as well as miles driven.

If a large number of owners respond about repairs and repair costs this results in a less favorable rating by Consumer Reports. It is based on responses from thousands of subscribers and so is vastly different then when Car and Driver or other publication has an article written by a single person.

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Was paging through the new issue the other day and I wanna say the powerboost is still on the bad list, unfortunately. I had to run so don't hold me to this 100%.

I know I'm rolling the dice. Hoping that with at 2023 model I avoided the first 1-2 years of new stuff. May not save me.

I also, personally, am somewhat OK with minor things. Should they be problems? Absolutely not. Would I prefer to never have to go to the dealer and fix something? 100%. But if the powertrains, transmissions, axles, engines all that stuff is acceptable then I'm for the most part OK. Those are the big ticket items that cost you down the road.

So yeah, powerboost with the hybrid components is newer. However I do feel a bit more confidence in that the 10 speed has been out for what, 5-7 years now? The engines themselves have been around forever at this point.

I guess we'll see.... I do tend to come from a more Toyota-ish family but have had some family and friends with Fords and they've honestly held up well overall. But every model is different. Ford has pretty good experience with hybrids... I'd guess only Toyota and Honda have more? Escape, Fusion, C-Max Energi etc. To my knowledge those systems have held up quite well. Again, the F150, using a regular transmission not a e-CVT... that stuff is new.

Anyway, I've cast my die. Time to just ride the ride and see what happens.

I do wish Ford would up their assembly attention to detail though. That to me is also rather unacceptable.

ndtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Self Employed
I have a 2023 powerboost. In hindsight .... I wish I woulda got a 5.0 V8.

I haven't had any problems other than leaking rear diff.... But it's always been my philosophy to avoid a bunch of technology that's newer ...or not necessary.

When giving others advice ... I always have said "that's just one more thing to break or have issues with"

I didn't take my own advice.

Again...15k miles in...nothing major. But there shouldn't be.
I bought extended warranty from Granger in Iowa for less than 1k. Takes me to I think 75k and 5 years.

Tigmd99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 PB
Just another voice...I have 2023 PB bought new. I love it. ONE issue only (and a common one it seems)...12V battery was not doing good when I bought the truck (manufactured 3/23)...running out of juice if my truck sitting there for more than 24 hours...and the truck has to go into low power mode. It had trouble starting twice.

Anyhoo, my dealer promptly replaced the battery free and it has NEVER went into low power mode since. I am at 15k miles after the battery change. No issues with starting. Smooth. Best car in my garage IMHO. Enjoy driving it every time I get into it.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
15k on my 22PB and it’s freaking amazing.
I used to advocate for the PB, but I’ve grown tired of the constant bitching. Buy a V8, and when you get tired of seeing my tailgate walking away from you, drop 15g on a supercharger package! Your truck will be very complicated, expensive, and short lived now, but hey at least you can finally beat that troublesome PB you wisely avoided purchasing 👍
Sponsored