First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt 302 high 3.5 eco
Occupation
Tile Setter
Has anyone upgraded their visors? I know this is a dead horse but i want to change my xlt ones out for lariat ones. I have a bare bones transit for work and that even has lights in it. Anyways does anyone know where to tap for the power? I pulled my visor now and theres no wire so obviously i have to make a harness. Anyone have the diagrams?
Sponsored

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone upgraded their visors? I know this is a dead horse but i want to change my xlt ones out for lariat ones. I have a bare bones transit for work and that even has lights in it. Anyways does anyone know where to tap for the power? I pulled my visor now and theres no wire so obviously i have to make a harness. Anyone have the diagrams?
@tilefordude I suspect you are looking to add powered visors not necessarily "Lariat visors." See https://www.f150forum.com/f118/xlt-302a-sun-visor-upgrade-359796/index37/ post 382 is where I did the drivers side to add Homelink and a lighted vanity mirror. Read the entire post to see adding both passenger and driver.

OP
OP
tilefordude

tilefordude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tile Setter
@tilefordude I suspect you are looking to add powered visors not necessarily "Lariat visors." See https://www.f150forum.com/f118/xlt-302a-sun-visor-upgrade-359796/index37/ post 382 is where I did the drivers side to add Homelink and a lighted vanity mirror. Read the entire post to see adding both passenger and driver.

im looking to add the lights and the garage controller. Do you know the part numbers you used? Also can pins be used to draw power from the harness?

Sponsored

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
im looking to add the lights and the garage controller. Do you know the part numbers you used? Also can pins be used to draw power from the harness?
@tilefordude sorry, don’t have p/n. Got it off eBay. I advise search parts.ford.com for a higher trim I.e. Platinum “sun visor” in your color. By “harness” there are several. I used the one ford uses for the functions up under the overhead console and used a wire tap, no room for pins really unless you use the type that u jam into the connector. I find them adequate for say a radar detector but not for this. Use a tap as shown in the post.

OP
OP
tilefordude

tilefordude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tile Setter
@tilefordude sorry, don’t have p/n. Got it off eBay. I advise search parts.ford.com for a higher trim I.e. Platinum “sun visor” in your color. By “harness” there are several. I used the one ford uses for the functions up under the overhead console and used a wire tap, no room for pins really unless you use the type that u jam into the connector. I find them adequate for say a radar detector but not for this. Use a tap as shown in the post.
On the other forum im shocked no one knows the original wiring schematic for the power i just like to try to keep it as close to factory as possible, but youve got me started on how to proceed

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I added drivers and passenger sun visors with illuminated mirrors and drivers side garage door opener.

The drivers side part number I used is JL3Z-1504105-<xx>
The passenger side part number I used is: JL3Z-1504104-<xx>

Where <xx> will be based on your color, sun roof or not, etc.

As others pointed out, Google it... a quick search and the sun visors with lights and garage door opener are still not cheap - wow.

As far as power, I did not tap into the power above the rear view mirror or overhead console. I did not know the power requirements of the sun visors. It can't be much, but still I didn't want a fire. I ran my own 22ga wiring (same gauge wire as the sun visor connection), with sleeve protection, etc. connected the two visors together in the headliner then over to the passenger A pillar and down to the fuse box. I used a 5 amp fuse tap (max for 22ga wire) and connected to the inverter circuit. It's keyed on NOT constant power, which you want incase someone breaks into your truck and try's to open the garage door :)

Any way, as others have said, a lot of us have done this mod....

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
tilefordude

tilefordude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tile Setter
I added drivers and passenger sun visors with illuminated mirrors and drivers side garage door opener.

As others pointed out, Google it... a quick search and the sun visors with lights and garage door opener are still not cheap - wow.

As far as power, I did not tap into the power above the rear view mirror or overhead console. I did not know the power requirements of the sun visors. It can't be much, but still I didn't want a fire. I ran my own 22ga wiring (same gauge wire as the sun visor connection), with sleeve protection, etc. connected the two visors together in the headliner then over to the passenger A pillar and down to the fuse box. I used a 5 amp fuse tap (max for 22ga wire) and connected to the inverter circuit. It's keyed on NOT constant power, which you want incase someone breaks into your truck and try's to open the garage door :)

Hope this helps!
not to push the envelope but do you recall which fuse you pulled off? i like this idea

Sponsored

Jersey devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT

Hope this helps!

Can I ask where you got the ground from ? Also, who did you order the visors from.

Thanks

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
On the other forum im shocked no one knows the original wiring schematic for the power i just like to try to keep it as close to factory as possible, but youve got me started on how to proceed
You need a different harness under the headliner. The XLT doesn't have the power connector in the wire harness. Been there , done it. Used fuse 35 as well when I added the Homelink to my XLT.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Can I ask where you got the ground from ?
I don't have a picture, but just to the right of that fuse box, behind the larger kick panel is a ground post with a nut, perfect spot :)

The visors have two wires, red and black. I suppose you could grab ground where the visor attaches and only run a red wire to the fuse box. I ran both wires from the drivers to the passenger visor, spliced them together, then two wires down the A pillar to the fuse box - easy, clean, and I didn't goof around with the overhead console or stuff above the mirror. I did remove the overhead console to help fish my wires over to the passenger visor mounting hole. As I said, I put the two wires in that web sleeve stuff all the way to the fuse box.
Also, who did you order the visors from.
Fairway Ford
Drivers Sun Visor
Passenger Sun Visor

Once you get past the cost of the visor, it's a nice upgrade. Before the upgrade I had 3 "clickers" ruining the sun visor by leaving imprints in the visor.... I hate that :) To each their own though.....

OP
OP
tilefordude

tilefordude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tile Setter
I don't have a picture, but just to the right of that fuse box, behind the larger kick panel is a ground post with a nut, perfect spot :)

The visors have two wires, red and black. I suppose you could grab ground where the visor attaches and only run a red wire to the fuse box. I ran both wires from the drivers to the passenger visor, spliced them together, then two wires down the A pillar to the fuse box - easy, clean, and I didn't goof around with the overhead console or stuff above the mirror. I did remove the overhead console to help fish my wires over to the passenger visor mounting hole. As I said, I put the two wires in that web sleeve stuff all the way to the fuse box.

Fairway Ford
Drivers Sun Visor
Passenger Sun Visor

Once you get past the cost of the visor, it's a nice upgrade. It takes all three buttons for me to get home. Before the upgrade I had 3 "clickers" ruining the sun visor by leaving imprints in the visor.... I hate that :)
I ordered this morning the drivers is on back order. Too funny I use fairway ford too

Jersey devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Once you get past the cost of the visor, it's a nice upgrade. Before the upgrade I had 3 "clickers" ruining the sun visor by leaving imprints in the visor.... I hate that :) To each their own though.....

DAMN, comes to over $500 for the 2 visors :oops: I don't even need the illuminated visor with my bald head LOL. Just wanted to add the homelink. Hmm this is a tough one to justify. And why is the black one $100 more than the other colors ???
Sponsored