Sponsored

Hear me out, but Console to Column shifter?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Funny... Console shifter was one of the many, MANY, MANY options I wanted but aren't available in a RCSB.

After reading this I'm glad I didn't get it.
This is true, but console and console shifter are not on the list of stuff i wanted. Or were when ordered. I hate console shift in trucks. What a colossal waste of space.

Glad my RCSB is column shift.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This is true, but console and console shifter are not on the list of stuff i wanted. Or were when ordered. I hate console shift in trucks. What a colossal waste of space.

Glad my RCSB is column shift.
I've never been a fan of column shift. Mine has it and it wasn't a special order but a buy it now before someone else does situation. In fact three other people showed up to buy the truck while I was doing the paperwork on it. My biggest complaint about the column shifter in the F150 the length. It's exceedingly long and when in drive it is directly in front of the brake controller. Hasn't been an issue yet, but it might be at some point and may be the deciding factor to convert it to console shift.

Last edited:

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I could take or leave the shifter. But I would want the full length center console either way.

Console shift comes with the sport package which is what I wanted over chrome sooo..

Last truck was a sport as well. So might feel weird to have a column shifter again after all this time.

Last vehicle we had with a column shift was an '09 Suburban. And I think we traded that in 2014?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I've never been a fan of column shift. Mine has it and it wasn't a special order but a buy it now before someone else does situation. In fact three other people showed up to buy the truck while I was doing the paperwork on it. My biggest complaint about the column shifter in the F150 the length. It's exceedingly long and when in drive it is directly in front of the brake controller. Hasn't been an issue yet, but it might be at some point and may be the deciding factor to convert it to console shift.
I dont think it interferes with brake controller at all. At least so far.

OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I jsut saw this. I could help you. You will need a new column though. That is the real isssue. If you have a lariat that is going to be $600 - $1000 or so just for the column because it has different mounting for the shifter.

I looked into this. Ill add this. I found a lariat with column shift but you lose memory and electric column. They only make manual adjust column for trucks with column shift
So I wouldn’t be able to have the power column anymore with power adjustments?

I could take or leave the shifter. But I would want the full length center console either way.

Console shift comes with the sport package which is what I wanted over chrome sooo..

Last truck was a sport as well. So might feel weird to have a column shifter again after all this time.

Last vehicle we had with a column shift was an '09 Suburban. And I think we traded that in 2014?
I somehow found a lariat sport console with no console shifter, like just the console itself on eBay. Can’t imagine how they managed that one. Would love the column shifter to have that flat fold out space while in gear.

Sponsored

Bandit Heeler

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4x4 2.7
For me having the A/C in the back is worth having the console over a jump seat. Regardless of where the shifter is.

Even though the A/C doesn't seem that strong back there. In the FL summer's It's nice to help cool the kids off.
That’s one of the best parts of the STX package with center console in my opinion. Rear A/C vents, a column shifter, and a ton of storage where the console shifter would be. My wife’s Expedition has the rotary dial shifter and there is always a phone or something sliding around on the console when we ride together. Plus it’s almost impossible to “rock” the truck/SUV when it’s stuck in mud or snow with the dial. I had a 2017 Ram 1500 for work and I kept turning up the radio or A/C while trying to put it into drive after backing up.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I honestly have no idea why anyone wouldn’t want a bench seat in a truck, even a crew cab.
Everyone's wants and needs differ, in my case I'm solo in the truck 99% of the time with more than 1 passenger 0.01% of the time and I really like having the full-depth console stash space with an organizer-insert next to me.

My 2005 XLT with buckets & console has a column shift which I prefer, but the 2022 Lariat has other advantages so I'm accepting the IMO admittedly funky console shifter as a small compromise. I folded the shifter once just to see what it was like and haven't done it again since (nope, no 'work surface' for me).

The notion of a console-to-column conversion mod is interesting and fun to follow, but not worth the effort, expense, or potential future warranty / long-term ESP complications for me.

Again, to each their own, no worries!

Last edited:
Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
So I wouldn’t be able to have the power column anymore with power adjustments?

I somehow found a lariat sport console with no console shifter, like just the console itself on eBay. Can’t imagine how they managed that one. Would love the column shifter to have that flat fold out space while in gear.
Is the sport console different that the regular full length console?
Hmm... I've never tried folding the shifter down when I'm in gear. Does it prevent you from doing so?
I don't have the fold flat work space option in mine so never use the folding shifter thing...

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I love my console shifter. I haven't had any problems with it either.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I love my console shifter. I haven't had any problems with it either.
No problems with mine either (knock on wood), but I'm waiting for the day that crappy motor/servo breaks. It's just so jumpy when it moves on it's own that I feel like it's already on it's last legs (note I don't use it often ,but do occasionally for the work surface or when it moves on it's own to park.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
No problems with mine either (knock on wood), but I'm waiting for the day that crappy motor/servo breaks. It's just so jumpy when it moves ...... on its own to park.
I've been guilty of occasionally opening my door before placing it in park and agree with you, the motorized motion is not reassuring.

I'm working hard to always consciously put it in park before touching my door handle (otherwise, not having the work surface, mine is never 'motorized') ;)

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I've been guilty of occasionally opening my door before placing it in park and agree with you, the motorized motion is not reassuring.

I'm working hard to always consciously put it in park before touching my door handle (otherwise, not having the work surface, mine is never 'motorized') ;)
Got well over 40 years of stick shift trucks.
been forever shutting truck down before it stops rolling.
This new one, still frequently shut it down early, or before park is selected.
Then—“Why won’t this damn key come out!!!???”—-as the column shifter starts moving on its own.

OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Is the sport console different that the regular full length console?
Hmm... I've never tried folding the shifter down when I'm in gear. Does it prevent you from doing so?
I don't have the fold flat work space option in mine so never use the folding shifter thing...
No it’s the normal one. I just know it was the sport one because the red/brown leather mix with the black armrest.

Reactions: 780

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Got well over 40 years of stick shift trucks.
been forever shutting truck down before it stops rolling.
This new one, still frequently shut it down early, or before park is selected.
Then—“Why won’t this damn key come out!!!???”—-as the column shifter starts moving on its own.
Ha, ha... just wait until your truck won't start and you try to move it!

Put it in neutral, open the door and it puts itself back into park.:oops:

Trick: Put it in neutral, hit the "Manual Shift Button" and your truck goes into "Neutral Mode" for 30-min.

THEN .. shifts itself back into park, like it or not!

Trick2: Remove the panel below your steering wheel. There's a lever behind it that will disengage your transmission completely.

Hope you never need to know that but just in case, I thought I'd share...

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I jsut saw this. I could help you. You will need a new column though. That is the real isssue. If you have a lariat that is going to be $600 - $1000 or so just for the column because it has different mounting for the shifter.

I looked into this. Ill add this. I found a lariat with column shift but you lose memory and electric column. They only make manual adjust column for trucks with column shift
Going back through this thread I finally 'clicked' to this post. Even though I have the non-memory manual tilt column in my Lariat a column swap to get the GSM mounting points is definitely a step too far for me. I'll live with my console shifter, thanks again, Jesse, for sharing your knowledge. (y) :)
Sponsored