Sponsored

Hear me out, but Console to Column shifter?

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Does anyone know if it’s possible to swap a console shifter over to a column shifter? I can think of a few reasons why a column shifter would be better especially with the work station. Also it’s just a bit more truck-like which is silly but hey, we never really get older, the toys just get more expensive.

Being that these are electronically shifted why not just a dial like the fusion and others. The console shifter just takes takes up a lot of space. Just idling thinking about it and I’ve seen a few others who share my thoughts.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I honestly have no idea why anyone wouldn’t want a bench seat in a truck, even a crew cab. Even with a manual transmission, you could always fit three or four people in the front of a regular cab. The console shifter takes up way more room than it justifies. It’s even more ridiculous in the Lightning; where they could have easily given a center seat as much legroom as the driver and front passenger. It’s totally annoying when you have a short distance to drive and need to take two vehicles to a place with shitty parking because you can’t fit that one extra person.

The shifter and throttle are basically video game controllers, you could probably setup a phone app to shift.

Ford F-150 Hear me out, but Console to Column shifter? 9E514342-CAB0-49B8-9406-A09740AA6A80

Neither one probably lets you do fun shit like neutral drops, reverse and forward 180’s and stuff that really shouldn’t be done anyway. So what’s the point?

I tried using the manual mode to stay in a higher gear with the sprag clutch for coasting when timing traffic lights but it downshifts anyway and really only works if you want to hear the engine downshift early nine times in a row like Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

Might as well be buttons since the truck does what it wants anyway.

Ford F-150 Hear me out, but Console to Column shifter? 7BB6194D-83F3-4932-A77F-CF8656EEE984

‘Cept with the 10 speed, it would look like this:

Ford F-150 Hear me out, but Console to Column shifter? 26E28303-14E2-4266-88CD-07F09035B167

:p

OP
OP
Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I specifically optioned my truck to have the console with a column shifter.
If I could have I would. Although somehow I’ve seen a Lariat console on eBay that had no console shifter just the storage bin there. It was at least a 502A because it had the controls for the rear heated seats.

I’d love to have the column shifter instead.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I honestly have no idea why anyone wouldn’t want a bench seat in a truck, even a crew cab. Even with a manual transmission, you could always fit three or four people in the front of a regular cab. The console shifter takes up way more room than it justifies.

im generally the only person in my truck. If there is a stick coming from the console, I also need a clutch pedal.
I also like my large coffee cups, and the console shifter space is a perfect spot for THEM.
Dark picture, but it’s dark out now
Ford F-150 Hear me out, but Console to Column shifter? D30ACE21-0926-4F26-BDA7-D251243494C6

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
In theory, yes it should be possible to make the change. In practice, totally not worth the effort as you’d need to change a cost-prohibitive number of interior parts.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Does anyone know if it’s possible to swap a console shifter over to a column shifter? I can think of a few reasons why a column shifter would be better especially with the work station. Also it’s just a bit more truck-like which is silly but hey, we never really get older, the toys just get more expensive.

Being that these are electronically shifted why not just a dial like the fusion and others. The console shifter just takes takes up a lot of space. Just idling thinking about it and I’ve seen a few others who share my thoughts.

Yes you can do it. Infotainment sells a kit to convert column to console shift for about $600+. It's a ton of work but it's do-able. With that there should be no reason you couldn't go the other way provided you can get all the right parts and harness connections. They might even be able to build you a one-off kit to do the job.

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I jsut saw this. I could help you. You will need a new column though. That is the real isssue. If you have a lariat that is going to be $600 - $1000 or so just for the column because it has different mounting for the shifter.

I looked into this. Ill add this. I found a lariat with column shift but you lose memory and electric column. They only make manual adjust column for trucks with column shift

Last edited:

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Funny... Console shifter was one of the many, MANY, MANY options I wanted but aren't available in a RCSB.

After reading this I'm glad I didn't get it.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I didn't understand the hype for console shifter. It was almost impossible to find a Powerboost with a column shifter.

I'd much rather have the jump seat, and even if you aren't a jump seat type person, having more space to put stuff would be more appealing than a console shifter.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I didn't understand the hype for console shifter. It was almost impossible to find a Powerboost with a column shifter.

I'd much rather have the jump seat, and even if you aren't a jump seat type person, having more space to put stuff would be more appealing than a console shifter.
For me having the A/C in the back is worth having the console over a jump seat. Regardless of where the shifter is.

Even though the A/C doesn't seem that strong back there. In the FL summer's It's nice to help cool the kids off.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
For me having the A/C in the back is worth having the console over a jump seat. Regardless of where the shifter is.

Even though the A/C doesn't seem that strong back there. In the FL summer's It's nice to help cool the kids off.
Agreed. Having the rear vents are definitely a nice have with kids in the back.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Honestly, I don’t know what Ford is thinking with the lack of rear vents on the bench seat version. It’s waaaaay too much cabin to have no vents back there. Sure, you can get away with in in a compact car, but anything above a midsize sedan nowadays comes with rear vents, it seems kind of an afterthought that should be been more important. Its the only thing that bugs me about the bench seat, which I picked on purpose for several reasons. It wouldn’t be so bad if there was an extra set of middle vents on the dash, but the screen takes up that space, so there’s less airflow that can get back there than I expected. I mean, I get airflow paths are limited, but…

Last edited:

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
Honestly, I don’t know what Ford is thinking with the lack of rear vents on the bench seat version. It’s waaaaay too much cabin to have no vents back there. Sure, you can get away with in in a compact car, but anything above a midsize sedan nowadays comes with rear vents, it seems kind of an afterthought that should be been more important. Its the only thing that bugs me about the bench seat, which I picked on purpose for several reasons. It wouldn’t be so bad if there was an extra set of middle vents on the dash, but the screen takes up that space, so there’s less airflow that can get back there than I expected. I mean, I get airflow paths are limited, but…
I too would have preferred AC vents with the bench seat option.

For now, my solution is to put my 2 kids in the front when it is really hot, or my wife and my favorite kid at the time in the front.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I too would have preferred AC vents with the bench seat option.

For now, my solution is to put my 2 kids in the front when it is really hot, or my wife and my favorite kid at the time in the front.
I got in the habit of aiming the vents in such a way that the majority of air is directed to the rear of the cab, but just enough hits me so I am not melting. My kids never complained about it being too hot in the truck. I still do that now even with there being dedicated vents for them in the rear.
Sponsored