Bluecruise Serpentine Ride

Gman61

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
I am fortunate to have Bluecruise hands-free working. However, sometimes the path is more of like a back and forth in the lane while traveling straight. It will gradually steer to the left and then steer to the right. It is annoying and anyone following must think of an impaired driver when they see the vehicle moving back and forth. I have turned it off and tried it again - sometimes with success. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this - Model year is 2022.
Sponsored

Gunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat
You are not alone. I have been trying to work through this myself. I have had 2 different alignments on the truck to see if that was the cause but sadly it did not solve it.

What I hate the most is when using hands free and you switch lanes to pass someone, when the hands free kicks in again, my truck always seems to go directly to the right side of the lane thus sending me in the direction of the car I am passing. The truck will register the lines and correct again to the left but this behavior in the hands free driving tends to cause anxiety not trust and confidence in the system.

Considering Ford has not gotten to the point of wide spread hands free usage since many vehicles still cant get the update to enable it, I am sure they will address this, it just wont be until they have overcome the hurdle of OTA so people cause use the feature.

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I actually thought the initial "lane assist" in my 2021 was quite good, other than the car fighting the driver at the steering wheel a bit. Since updating to newer (still not BC) software it's more the "bounce" you described than staying centered in the lane.

Hopefully they can bring back their older algorythms or the truck will learn and/or sober up.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Yeah I posted elsewhere with similar thoughts. Only used a few times now, and on straight lines I don’t find it to be that bad but curves are a different story and it feels borderline dangerous. It tends to steer too long through a curve hits the edge and then bounces back to the center. From there it often has a tendency to overcorrect out of the turn before finally recentering. Usually after that it is okay(ish) but I get pretty nervous with it in traffic.

Between that and the fact that there is usually no warning before it has to go back to “hands on” mode I honestly have to say I’m pretty surprised this is a general release. Not sure if Job 2 trucks are better be this is just a Job 1 Early Access issue but if this is what they are all like I think this product was rushed out too early and probably needs another 3-6 months. I would say it’s “mostly” good maybe 90-95% but that other 5% is meaningful since it can feel downright dangerous. I find myself just keeping my hands on the wheel if there are other cars on the road, especially if there is any sort of major curve.

I feel like they rushed this out before it was done to meet expectations assuming “hey we can fix this with an OTA” and they really should have don’t more testing and tuning before making a product.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
2021 Job 1 Early Access BlueCruise and I'm seeing the same behavior - I tend to place a hand back on the wheel in anything more than a very gentle curve in order to initiate the turn-in and turn-out and avoid the delayed lurch into the corner followed by over-correction. I also noticed the wandering left/right in lane, but maybe that is related to speed - the system will not engage above 81mph and will kick you out at 82mph i.e. it's pretty much limited to 80 mph - I got the feeling that backing cruise down to 77/78mph improved this wandering behavior, so I question if the 80mph is getting to the limit of the systems ability to sense lane boundaries and feedback to maintain centered position?

IMHO, the system is on the one hand a long way from hands-free driving on anything other than straight roads, but on the other hand, the system (as it is today) makes driving straight roads much easier. So, overall I'm happy, I feel the cost is reasonable ... and I look forward to the improvements that I'm sure will come!

NoCo150

First Name
KD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Today the dealer set up my BlueCruise and I was able to use it on about 25 miles of I80 in Wyoming. It works well and seems to stay in the lane without bouncing side to side. My only disappointment is that it doesn’t integrate end navigation.

mj1angier

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Power Boost
It's even more fun when passing a semi and it want to wander closer to it.
This. It's like it is trying to dive into the side of the truck!

It does wander around more than I like. Not sure if that is a road issue or a truck issue- only been on a few roads with it.

Also the "Jesus take the wheel" moments are a bit unnerving...

Sponsored

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Mine does it as well. It reminds me when we would take the kids bowling when they were younger and they would use the bumpers. The ball would stay in the lane, but bounce off the left bumper, then the right bumper, etc as it went down the lane.

My assumption is that this is Ford's first attempt at self-driving and it will improve over time to include lane changing, better steering, integrated navigation, etc.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
I actually thought the initial "lane assist" in my 2021 was quite good, other than the car fighting the driver at the steering wheel a bit. Since updating to newer (still not BC) software it's more the "bounce" you described than staying centered in the lane.

Hopefully they can bring back their older algorythms or the truck will learn and/or sober up.
I could not agree more! The drive was much better with the lane assist only.

brett_g

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A
Occupation
GC
Chiming in to report the same behavior in my 2022 Tremor - I am glad to hear it's not a truck alignment issue which many have stated. Seems like the system is still new..

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I tried BC for the first time yesterday since I updated my truck a few weeks ago and hadn't been on a highway since I got it. I had to turn it off before someone on the highway called the police to report a drunk driver in an F150 on the turnpike.

4thF1504me

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Yep. It sucks. Wait until the hands on wheel and eyes on road nanny get impatient. The truck will start pumping the brakes. Not good.
Sponsored