First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Hybrid, Dbl cab, short bed
Occupation
Retired educator
After a four month wait for my ARE bed cap, my local accessory dealer told me that they can not wire up the electrics to the cap without getting a "TRAILER CONNECTED" alert. The wiring includes the high brake light and the cap interior lighting. The dealer says that it's because it is a hybrid and they await a fix from ARE.
Has anybody else had this issue?
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
After a four month wait for my ARE bed cap, my local accessory dealer told me that they can not wire up the electrics to the cap without getting a "TRAILER CONNECTED" alert. The wiring includes the high brake light and the cap interior lighting. The dealer says that it's because it is a hybrid and they await a fix from ARE.
Has anybody else had this issue?
I don't have interior lighting for my topper but I did get my 3rd brake light wired at an ARE dealer. Here are the instructions they used with no issues.
Ford F-150 Bed Cap Install & Wiring Issues PXL_20211207_160108355

Fordtheriver

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Found this online. I am currently looking to do the same, but trying to find the extra brake wire in the engine bay.

OP
OP
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired educator
Thanks, my ARE installer is still waiting for another component from ARE to make the remote door lock switch function to unlock the ARE window latch.

jgroux

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch 601A
any update on this - i am having a similar issue (when i connect a trailer the left trailer light does not work)

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired educator
any update on this - i am having a similar issue (when i connect a trailer the left trailer light does not work)
Not really, other than my cap dealer had to wait for a module from ARE, the cap manufacturer, to make it work.

KevinTriplett

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer Ret.
I don't have interior lighting for my topper but I did get my 3rd brake light wired at an ARE dealer. Here are the instructions they used with no issues.
PXL_20211207_160108355.jpg
This worked for me - for anyone needing to know, the black with green stripe is ground.

GripworksCo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Hybrid Super Crew 6.5 FX4
Occupation
Film Video Production
I also had a 4 month wait for my Leer topper. Install went smoothly, though, with interior lighting and 3rd brake light. No issues.

SharkAttack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Bumping an old thread here for future searchers. The ARE info is unnecessary for the third brake light. There is a dedicated, capped third brake light wire in the engine bay. I wired up my cap this weekend.

In that video posted above you can sort of see the wire, but to clarify, for my 2021 3.5EB, the wire is blue and orange. It is tucked into the wraps of the harness right under the air box on the driver's side. It is hard to see but essentially it looks like its going around a corner between a Y in the harness. The end is not sticking out. Only the middle of the wire is sticking out and it is tucked in pretty tight and you have to pull on it with a little bit of faith.

Here are some pics, one where I tugged on the wire a little bit to expose it, one with it all the way out.

Ford F-150 Bed Cap Install & Wiring Issues IMG_0572

Ford F-150 Bed Cap Install & Wiring Issues IMG_0573

For wiring up the cap dome light, there is a thread out there about doing it on a 2020 where you tap into a green wire in a connector underneath the bed on the driver's side. This was still valid on my 2021, but I had two connectors, both with green wires. The correct one was the more outboard one.

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
so you found that wire and then interspersed another wire between the cap wire and the engine bay wire? I'm assuming the cap wire wasn't long enough to reach to the engine bay.

Sponsored

sagdih

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Powerboost
I found this wire on my 22 powerboost but it does not function when I use the brake. Is there something in FORSCAN that needs to be enabled?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
when did they stop leaving a blunt cut wire under tailgate tucked up ?

sagdih

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Powerboost
when did they stop leaving a blunt cut wire under tailgate tucked up ?
I am not sure but I cant find anything back there. This wire is the only one that I have found outside the cab but it doesn't seem to do anything on my truck. I am going to tap into the bed lighting for the dome light and into the harness for the tailgate lock unlock.

bigjohnp

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
retired
I also had a 4 month wait for my Leer topper. Install went smoothly, though, with interior lighting and 3rd brake light. No issues.
Same here with my Leer topper. Everything working fine, interior lighting and 3rd brake light. I got mine after 2 month wait. My truck is an XLT sport 302A.

gpad53

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, XLT, Sport, carbonized gray metallic
Occupation
Retired IBEW
Didn’t pull out an end, but a loop I was able to solder onto. 2022 2.7 EB, supercab, xlt,sport.
wire was mor gray/orange rather than purple/orange.
I did not have the flashing issue that video showed.
Sponsored