Wiring a winch?

Ruffiano99

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Any one know if it’s possible to hardwire a winch safely to the powerboost? Cant seem to find any info on this. Will i burn out a battery sensor if i do this?
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
If you are a insane and don't mind the threat of death, I have a thought. I bought a Warn 3000ACI, which is a 3k# winch that runs on 240V AC. I've had to figure out how to wire it myself, and I'm building a bunch of high amperage SSRs together to mimic the mechanical switch that came with it. IF this works, I'll have a little bluetooth remote that powers all of the SSRs so that if there is a fault, I'm not electrocuted.

It has been in pieces on my floor for a few months, so we'll see when I get around to it. The other issue is that 3000# is pretty low for a truck this size, and we're limited by what the truck can supply and what Warn builds. However, a 2:1 pulley gets you 6k#, and at that point you can start moving some stuff. The limited spool size might make The upside is that while those 12V winches draw INSANE amounts of DC amperage from the battery that you are counting on to start your truck, this setup can happily crank along for as long as its motor can keep pulling and the truck still has gasoline.

OP
OP

Ruffiano99

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Sounds complicated. Also not too sure if 3000lb winch will even move these trucks, even with the snatch block doubling it. Had my truck stuck in mud up to the chassis and it took 2 wranglers with 2 winches to get me out. And they almost couldn’t do it. Not sure what theyre winches were rated for but id assume each was atleast a 7500lb winch.

Mszczewski

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Are you talking about trying to wire to the traction battery or the standard 12v system?

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Sounds complicated. Also not too sure if 3000lb winch will even move these trucks, even with the snatch block doubling it. Had my truck stuck in mud up to the chassis and it took 2 wranglers with 2 winches to get me out. And they almost couldn’t do it. Not sure what theyre winches were rated for but id assume each was atleast a 7500lb winch.
Good rule of thumb is purchase a winch rated twice the weight of your vehicle and remember the maximum pull is on the first wrap of the drum. The more cable on the drum, the less pull it has. I would recommend no less than a 12000lb with synthetic rope and a snatch block. Also, the winch should connect directly to the 12v battery. I shouldn't think it would have anything to do with the powerboost side, but I could be wrong. Best check with the winch manufacture. Good luck.

OP
OP

Ruffiano99

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Are you talking about trying to wire to the traction battery or the standard 12v system?
To the standard 12v battery under the hood. Not sure if tying into that interferes with anything else related to the hybrid system. I know these trucks can be a bit temperamental when it comes to the sensors and voltage changes.
Was planning on a 12k lb winch.

Mszczewski

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
To the standard 12v battery under the hood. Not sure if tying into that interferes with anything else related to the hybrid system. I know these trucks can be a bit temperamental when it comes to the sensors and voltage changes.
Was planning on a 12k lb winch.
I would just do a fresh cable run off the battery (making sure to tie it into the battery terminal clamp and not one of the smaller wires coming off of it). Shouldn't cause any strain on the sensors doing that.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I had a 12k winch installed on mine and it is just wired to the 12v battery under the hood.

From my understanding, the difference between the Powerboost and a regular F150 is that the Powerboost does not have an alternator. Instead, when it needs extra power for the 12v battery, the ICE engine will kick on to use the electric motor to generate the needed electricity. The electric motor has more than enough power to run a winch so there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

OP
OP

Ruffiano99

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Sweet. Thats exactly what i need to know. Thanks. Would hate to fry any of these components. Dont see too many powerboosts with winches around. Not sure why, these are the perfect trucks for overlanding/camping.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Yes AND no.
The design for the winch part has a set of 5 SSRs wired up to the winch, a 240V plug, and a 12 V bluetooth remote controller. The whole assembly will be mounted on a hitch plug adapter, which has been the primary holdup. The final result is an assembly that will plug into the 240V plug, and have a separate 12V plug (which will helpfully come from the unused rear license plate adapter after I replaced my bumper). The whole thing will get mounted/unmounted as circumstances dictate, and except for the 12V receptacle on the truck involve no permanent mods to the truck itself.
Sponsored