Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Anyone remove crash bars? If so was it easy
First off I will say what you do to your truck is your business. But I don't understand why someone would remove a built in safety device just to have bigger tires under their truck.

Several safety tests found that "significant risk of injury" to a person's right leg due to some intrusion into the cabin."

You're not risking my safety so have at it. I just don't understand it.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Unbelievable…..it’s the OP’s truck and decision to do what he wants. While I don’t think removing the crash bars is the thing to do, it’s not your are my decision.
I personally think that if you have nothing constructive to say don’t say anything. He didn’t ask what you think.
Can’t fix rude either.
This is one of the few respectable forums around……it would be nice to keep it that way.

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
Let’s get this back on a positive track boys, Are you asking front or rear of the steer axle?
I’ve read here quite a few have removed the fronts for tire clearance. Rears, yeah you could be compromising some engineered in safety. After all It’s right in the name— you know what it’s there for, on YOUR truck. ??

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The aluminum cab is strong under certain circumstances, one of those isn't offset crashes, or worse; hitting armco barriers on end.

When I glanced under my truck, it looked like the rearward ones were bolted onto the frame, if there was an issue with clearance, it's possible that a lower profile bar could easily be installed and be better than nothing.

While the argument that it's his truck is valid, what about passengers, or the next owner of the truck? Not all members with concerns are here to solely criticize.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
While the argument that it's his truck is valid, what about passengers, or the next owner of the truck? Not all members with concerns are here to solely criticize.
I was thinking that as well. As for next owner I think if you re-installed prior to selling you would be fine. However, if not and the next owner was injured because of it I am curious if that would be a liability they could legitimately go after you for. Actually I guess that could go for an injured passenger as well.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
They are there for a reason---you may regret it one day, just saying!

OP
OP

BoostedECO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I appreciated everyone’s feedback except Sundancer.

I was curious because I’ve seen previous posts that to fit a 20x9 +1 with a 295/60 on a level, front crash had to be removed.
Seems like a lot of Wild Willies trucks he builds have that exact set up. And in all his videos it looks like the front crash bars are intact.
How does he make it work?
I don’t think a dealer would be STUPID to remove them either

ow_hoods

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150, 20 Fusion
Occupation
Ford Sales Consultant
There is a hydraulic tool that I have seen used to shift the two crash bars away from each other Just about a half inch to an inch. For the life of me I cannot remember what it is called.

Sponsored

dharmon012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
im not sure how far out the offset is youre looking to get, but im running 35x12.5x20 stock sport wheels on a 2.5" level. crash bars are in tact and i have zero rubbing. I wanted to space them out 1.5" but I really have about 3/4" max i could space out, which im not going to do because i dont trust those style spacers and longer lugs. However, from what i can see on my truck, the tires would not only rub the crash bars but would also rub the inside of the back of the fender. The body sheet metal is immediately behind the inner wheel well, so you would have to do some decent cutting of the body and not just the crash bars.

Berkfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLRU
Anyone remove crash bars? If so was it easy
I don't think it would be easy to remove them unless you decide to just cut them off. I was able to get an extra 1/4" of clearance just by loosening the bolts, pushing the bars forward and retightening.

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
I saw a YouTube video recently where a guy stretched the crash bars(pushed them out) for more clearance on his 21. Didn’t have to remove them, simply pushed on them with some wood 2x4 to get them out of the way and clear his 35s.

Here it is, found it again. Anyone sees a problem with his approach? Crash bars still there, should do they job in an accident.

Last edited:

SPARKY150

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Electrician
I just removed my crash bars last night. I went through about 2 grinder cutoff wheels, a dozen sawzall blades, and a couple hours with of work. The fronts you have to just cut off because there isn’t enough room to back out the bolts. In the rear you can cut the crash bars and once they are shorter you can back out the bolts and slide the rest of the crash bar out.
Ford F-150 Anyone remove crash bars? 8CC86A23-CAFA-46BD-A91B-5BCAF6032CB5
Ford F-150 Anyone remove crash bars? 485A4689-D6B0-47D6-A299-9C5FD68B5D9F
Sponsored