Sponsored

Anti-Sway bars questions

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
I just installed my Steeda sway bar this evening and noticed a couple things.

For what it’s worth—it was pretty difficult to get the adjustable arms to secure. I had no choice but to set it in the middle setting as it was too long to be able to try the first hole. Not sure if this is because of my truck being a PB or what.
The overall installation was easy minus that particular part.

(@Snakebitten here is where I look for your input lol) I immediately took it out to the highway merge area where I typically feel myself sliding out of the seat trying to hang on while curving into the merge lane. The truck was 100% planted and watched my son barely move in his car seat vs almost toppling over. (No I do not take the merge curve at 100 mph but at 50-60 mph it was leaning pretty bad prior to the sway bar install lol)

I did notice during the driving later this evening it feels as though the overall drive is stiffer as I feel bumps in the road a heck of a lot more. Now, I did put on a set of 2024 BAP wheels that came with factory 275/65/18 Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires today as well. (I wanted to step it down to 18” from my 20” wheels hoping to smooth out the drive a little combined with the body lean I had with the sway bar). I actually feel like with the sway bar and swapping the tires I made the drive worse. Granted, I did eliminate almost all the body lean which is great, but wondering if the middle setting on the sway bar is causing the issue or if my Goodyear tires are just that much crappier than the Hankook’s that I had. I did lower the tire pressure from 42 to 35 (rated max 51) as discount tire set them all to 42 and thought that was maybe my issue- but zero change. The wheels and tires were brand new take offs so they weren’t worn and no steering shake or vibration so they are balanced correctly.

I’m assuming having a stiffer ride is not an affect the sway bar would cause, correct? As it just primarily adjusts body roll. Should I take another stab at putting it on the first setting or would that not really make any difference? Truck is stock height, not leveled.
I put the same one on recently and I used the stiffest setting. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be able to change it. I also adjusted the links to the shortest setting and it looks like I could use any of the holes easily. Maybe take a picture or something because I can’t see how it wouldn’t adjust.
Sponsored

Broomsky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4 Avalanche
I put the same one on recently and I used the stiffest setting. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be able to change it. I also adjusted the links to the shortest setting and it looks like I could use any of the holes easily. Maybe take a picture or something because I can’t see how it wouldn’t adjust.
I’ll post a picture tomorrow morning, maybe mine couldn’t reach the stiffest position vs what I assumed is the softest. I honestly assumed the hole closest aimed towards the front of the truck was the lowest and the third hold towards the rear was the stiffest. My links were adjusted out as far as they could and it took pretty significant strength from both a buddy and myself just to get it in the middle setting so it would have been twice as hard if we chose the first setting. We definitely installed correctly as he has one on his 2020 but it was a hellwig. I watched the install video twice after we installed it and everything matched up.

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
I’ll post a picture tomorrow morning, maybe mine couldn’t reach the stiffest position vs what I assumed is the softest. I honestly assumed the hole closest aimed towards the front of the truck was the lowest and the third hold towards the rear was the stiffest. My links were adjusted out as far as they could and it took pretty significant strength from both a buddy and myself just to get it in the middle setting so it would have been twice as hard if we chose the first setting. We definitely installed correctly as he has one on his 2020 but it was a hellwig. I watched the install video twice after we installed it and everything matched up.
That’s right as I understand it, the hole towards the back that makes the bar shorter is the stiffest. I’d imagine if you have to, mess with the length of the links and it should line up. For a non-lifted truck the shortest setting on the links works.

Edit: Loosening the clamps that hold it to the axle will also allow you to move it up and down to line up the holes for the stiffness settings.

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I missed it...is yours 2wd or 4wd
The 4wd adjustable links are to long
And take some ...to get bar level
I use the center hole for best ride for me
And both links have to be same length
Of one is different then you have to try to twist tye bar which makes assembly real hard
Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 20240313_150858

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 20240313_150846

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 20240312_131000

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 20240313_150855

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm a little surprised that the endlinks could reach one of the 3 holes with greater/less difficulty than the other holes.

The distance between the holes is rather short, so the pivot-arc of the endlink is minimal. And besides, you would just lift or lower the sway bar itself to accommodate the bolt hole alignment.

Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

As for "stiffening" the ride on a straight stretch of road, if the road irregularity (bump) influenced both wheels simultaneously, the sway bar wouldn't "twist", so it would have little or no influence on what you feel. With a significant irregularity that only affected one rear wheel, then the leafspring/damper as well as the sway bar twist would be in play.
Still I would expect the leaf spring, damper, and tire to make up the vast majority of the feedback you experience. But admittedly the sway bar would have increased the damping of the spring?
Sponsored

Last edited: