Sponsored

Android Auto Coolwalk out of beta today (public stable release)

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Ford F-150 Android Auto Coolwalk out of beta today (public stable release) Screenshot_20230106-185127~2

Here my version of released AA. Pixel 7 Pro with the latest January update and up to date on apps so far.
Sponsored

Ebrou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 5.0L Sport 4x4
Screenshot_20230106-185127~2.png

Here my version of released AA. Pixel 7 Pro with the latest January update and up to date on apps so far.
That is the same AA and Waze versions I am on, and Chrome is at 108.0.5359.128 with a Samsung Galaxy S9+

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I should have mentioned that I didn't notice any differences today, but didn't really look for them either during my very short drive. Not that I was expecting any changes after reading other Cool Walk posts. Hopefully we all get it soon!

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
Screenshot_20230106-185127~2.png

I have the same versions as you. Samsung S22 in canada though. I think our phone updates are slower.

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
I'm unclear why everyone is saying you need 3.5.3 for CoolWalk to be relevant. It has nothing to do with full screen, as part of the redesign is specifically for making smaller screen layouts more usable. I mean, when you shrink the display on a fully updated SYNC, you still have the redesigned layout, and that's what a non-updated truck will have. It's not as functional, but it's there.

CoolWalk is a server side change made by Google for your account, so even if you have the Beta or the latest version, until it rolls out to you nothing will change. I was rocking sideloaded Betas before I got into the program and nothing was different because the server side wasn't switched. I had already updated to 3.5.3, also, so it had nothing to do with that update. As soon as I got into the official Beta it was turned on.

It will roll out in stages to users, surely. You don't dump a new product on millions of users all at once.
You were right about roll out in stages...

autoevolution: Google Releases New Android Auto Update As Everybody Wants the Big Redesign.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-everybody-wants-the-big-redesign-207958.html

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm confused why loading the coolwalk build of Android Auto, rather than waiting to get it "OTA" :), would make a difference?

An FDRS manual install of an update is the same update as the one recieved OTA. Same functionality.

But unless I'm misunderstanding, some are saying side-loading (similar to FDRS) isn't the same as getting it from the store (OTA)

I fetched the official Coolwalk AA a couple of days ago, instead of waiting. The article below made it easy enough.

https://www.ytechb.com/how-to-get-android-auto-coolwalk/

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I'm confused why loading the coolwalk build of Android Auto, rather than waiting to get it "OTA" :), would make a difference?
Before Google opened up the official beta, people where sideloading the beta apks trying to get CoolWalk first. When CoolWalk rolled out on official beta, it was very clear it had to be turned on by Google, because you could not get it without being on the official beta list. If you sideloaded the beta apk, nothing would change. I did this up until I got into the official beta.

So now, sideloading is only relevant if you want to do the beta, but aren't in the beta program. Not everyone is aware of the nuances, though, and aren't aware of the need for Google to grant the permission when the app dials home, so some think you could sideload to get it faster.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But we aren't sideloading the beta now.
It's the actual released version that they are rolling out. So why would it be gimped just because it's sideloaded?

According to that article, the official version sideloaded will even update normally from the store.

I'm not saying that I am in any way SURE of how all this works, but I was assuming that the sudden flurry of information on January 5th wasn't just fake. :)

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
But we aren't sideloading the beta now.
It's the actual released version that they are rolling out. So why would it be gimped just because it's sideloaded?

According to that article, the official version sideloaded will even update normally from the store.

I'm not saying that I am in any way SURE of how all this works, but I was assuming that the sudden flurry of information on January 5th wasn't just fake. :)
You are correct. I've been rooting android phones for damn near a decade, sideoading apps is very common with Android. As long as the apk was copied from someone who got the legitimate download from the play store, that apk can be passed around and installed on any device that supports it. Since it isn't the beta it will just update your existing app, and when the play store has a newer version that isn't a beta, you'll be notified to update through the play store.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
You are correct. I've been rooting android phones for damn near a decade, sideoading apps is very common with Android. As long as the apk was copied from someone who got the legitimate download from the play store, that apk can be passed around and installed on any device that supports it. Since it isn't the beta it will just update your existing app, and when the play store has a newer version that isn't a beta, you'll be notified to update through the play store.
I remember those days. I used to live on the xda forums. lol

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
I remember those days. I used to live on the xda forums. lol
Same. It's just not needed anymore, Android has gotten so good. I have a oneplus 10 pro and probably haven't run root on a phone is a good 4 years or more.

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer

An FDRS manual install of an update is the same update as the one recieved OTA. Same functionality.

But unless I'm misunderstanding, some are saying side-loading (similar to FDRS) isn't the same as getting it from the store (OTA)

I fetched the official Coolwalk AA a couple of days ago, instead of waiting. The article below made it easy enough.

https://www.ytechb.com/how-to-get-android-auto-coolwalk/
I grabbed the same and mine had yet to display the new design. I guess I keep waiting.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I grabbed the same and mine had yet to display the new design. I guess I keep waiting.
Well that definitely confirms what the fella was saying regarding that Google has to do something on their end even if you are running a legit version.

I don't mind eating crow for being sceptical. I've eaten enough that it now tastes like chicken. 😁