First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
So I hop in the truck this afternoon and once the screen loads and Android auto map pops up, the map portion of the screen is "daytime" even though the rest is dark /night mode I didn't really mess with it except for the maps setting and no day/dark toggle. What gives? I run dark all the time as the day is way too bright and distracting for me. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
check your maps, phone, and android auto app settings on the phone... any of them could be forcing daytime mode

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
There is no such thing as "Android Auto map". Are you referring to Google Maps, Waze, or another map application running in AA?

Waze (on the phone) allows you to set the Dark Mode to On, Off, Only at night, or Same as phone settings.

Google Maps: Chekc under Settings/theme for Always in light them, Always in dark theme, or Same as device theme

If you're using the last option on either of these, you'll then need to check you device (phone) theme settings.

OP
OP
Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
So I had to go to my android auto phone app. Apparently the latest update overrides the truck setting. In my case Android auto maps defaults to Google maps. I think any application was going to be in light. I looked at waze a few years ago and the graphics seemed to be for children not adults.

Sponsored

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I looked at waze a few years ago and the graphics seemed to be for children not adults.
I've seen this comment a few times of late. I've been using Waze for a very long time. Waze has always taken a light-hearted approach to their interface, but the map and routing is nearly always spot-on. The Waze team spends the bulk of their time making it useful. I have not seen any app that comes close to matching Waze for up-to-the-minute updates for what I need to know about when traveling. Dead critter in the road? Check. Half a tire in the road? Check. Car on the side with someone changing a tire? Check. Police? Check. Traffic backed up? Check - assuming that it hasn't already routed me around it. Waze reports something that is no longer there? I can clear it from the map for the Wazer behind me. I see something that wasn't reported? I can add it for the Wazer behind me. And more features than those.
I'll take the Waze "cartoon map" every day, knowing what it brings to the screen that the "proper" map apps haven't been able to match.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll take the Waze "cartoon map" every day, knowing what it brings to the screen that the "proper" map apps haven't been able to match.
Could not agree more. Waze > Google Maps when it comes to the reasons I use a map application.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Haha, so true.
Agreed. I've tried out Waze three separate times on two vehicles and I doubt I will ever bother again. For me Google Maps has a much cleaner interface and simpler operation. I know there are people who love Waze. I just hope Google keeps them as separate products so we continue to have a choice. I read somewhere that they are slowly integrating them into a single app, I hope that's not true.

OP
OP
Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
My inbound truck won't have manufacturer loaded navigation that needs yearly updates (not free). It will have Google maps as the factory nav.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I looked at waze a few years ago and the graphics seemed to be for children not adults.
Maybe....yet Waze is a better navigation app. It is much better in finding faster routes when you are stuck in traffic or if there is heavy traffic coming up that will cause delays.
Alerts are also much better. Easier to add police/hazards/etc. Every now and then Google map will announce a "speed camera", but I am yet to find a way to actually report it myself. When you dirve at night after a long day and you hear a "vehicle stopped on the road" or "Object on the road" or stuff like that, it's alerting and good info to have.

The only thing that's missing is crossing state line announcement, I like that in Google Maps.
Also, when using Waze on the phone, you are able to enter stops in the middle of navigation, this option isn't available in Android Auto (perhaps only with voice, not sure).

One problem that I have with Waze in Android Auto - it just stops the navigation out of the blue. No clue why.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Maybe....yet Waze is a better navigation app. It is much better in finding faster routes when you are stuck in traffic or if there is heavy traffic coming up that will cause delays.
Alerts are also much better. Easier to add police/hazards/etc. Every now and then Google map will announce a "speed camera", but I am yet to find a way to actually report it myself. When you dirve at night after a long day and you hear a "vehicle stopped on the road" or "Object on the road" or stuff like that, it's alerting and good info to have.

The only thing that's missing is crossing state line announcement, I like that in Google Maps.
Also, when using Waze on the phone, you are able to enter stops in the middle of navigation, this option isn't available in Android Auto (perhaps only with voice, not sure).

One problem that I have with Waze in Android Auto - it just stops the navigation out of the blue. No clue why.
Does waze have 3D mapping yet? Using Google maps for directions on a phone search in the house, that search result will pop up on my Android auto as soon as I start my truck. I like that feature. I get pop up route detour options while driving because of backups. I guess I'm so used to and happy with it I don't see the need to even try waze.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Every now and then Google map will announce a "speed camera", but I am yet to find a way to actually report it myself.
I searched for an answer on that just yesterday. All I found was something that said you can only do that with AA and not CarPlay (or was it Android and not IOS?). However, the button it said should be present on the screen TO USE to report a speed trap does not (or no longer) exists, at least on my screen.

Reactions: sbi

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think this is a fair comparison of Google Maps vs Waze by Tom's Guide. It was posted last month (DEC 2022).

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/google-maps-vs-waze

Which one is "better" can largely be determined by how you use it (driving ONLY vs also using it for walking, public transportation, cycling, etc.) as well as which is better at determining the best route, proactively offers or updates your route as traffic and hazards are found, and - of course - the interface and design.

If Google Maps made it easy/easier to report hazards or police, was better at choosing the optimal route at the start, and updated your route based on hazards and conditions reported by users, I'd likely switch to it. But it doesn't, so I continue to use Waze.

IMHO, Google Maps does offer a more comprehensive product (albeit with the deficiencies noted above.) However, taking multi-symptom cold medicine that has ingredients to address aches, pain, fever, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing and cough when all you have is a headache doesn't mean the multi-symptom medicine is the best choice.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, here are some bullet points of Waze vs Google Maps from another article posted just days ago:
  • Waze is community-based, Google Maps is more data-based.
  • Waze is pretty much just for cars, Google Maps offers walking, driving, biking, and public transportation directions. They also have built-in “Explore” features that allow users to see events, reviews, photos, points of interest, etc. There’s even the “street view” mode to see things at street level.
  • Waze requires a data connection, Google Maps is available offline.
  • Google Maps includes business data such as menus, hours, and phone numbers, while Waze does not.
  • Waze offers real-time info such as road closures, road hazards, traffic alerts and real-time traffic conditions based on driver data. Google Maps has only started to include some of these features recently.
  • Google Maps uses a traditional navigation interface, while Waze offers a sleek and minimal interface using the latest in design language.
  • Google Maps is fairly basic, Waze offers a high level of customization (including celebrity voices!)
  • Google Maps is standard in Tesla vehicles, yet you must download Tesla Waze for Waze to work in a Tesla.

In short, Google Maps is a simple but powerful navigation tool that selects the quickest and most efficient route.

Waze collects data from a bunch of different users and leverages that data to tailor your trip experience, giving you the most efficient route that’s free of obstacles and other nuisances.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Does waze have 3D mapping yet? Using Google maps for directions on a phone search in the house, that search result will pop up on my Android auto as soon as I start my truck. I like that feature. I get pop up route detour options while driving because of backups. I guess I'm so used to and happy with it I don't see the need to even try waze.
Waze had 3D mapping before Google Maps had it.
Yes, I like how home search pops up on AA Google Maps, Waze has other features.
On the other hand, other times I hate when it shows it....it may be nobody's business what I search at home ;). I also don't like that it defaults to show two recent searched locations. IMO the default should be not to show anything. What if I have passengers in the vehicle that I don't want to see where I've been and what I searched?
Sponsored