Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A

Puffy929

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT High 5.0
Couple of questions. I have a 302A being built but I already bought a 2021 IPMA from a platium that I want will use to add 360 cameras and land keep etc. I do a lot of city driving and parking so would likely build out the truck to whatever the ipma supports.
  • Anyone familar with the function of the two front 'side' bumper sensors on trucks that are equipped? It seems this is used for the active park maybe but I wasnt sure?
  • Same question on the the front BLIS sensors? Like when are these used and are they typically part of a 302A from factory or something I need to add if I want?
  • Does the BLIS sensor use the same front harness or is that a seperate harness - trying to figure out if I get a 6 sensor harness what connects to it?
  • On an XLT what is the likelyhood that the harness beyond the front harness would support 6 parking sensors (or even 4)?

Thanks...
The 2 front side sensors are for active park assist. I.E. automatic parallel parking.
The same goes for the front BLIS. They also assist with traffic alert on the front.
I am not sure if they are included with a 302A unless you have it prepped for the active park assist.
I believe the front BLIS uses a different harness that has your headlights going through it. When the front bumper is removed, the headlights stay on the truck.
My 302A had the wires in the engine bay harness for the 4 front sensors up to C1590 on the drivers side engine bay. I had to run wires from that connector to the IPMA. I know it had the wires for the 4 sensors I added but I do not know if it had the wires for 6.

I hope this answers some of your questions and does not add any confusion.
Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
The 2 front side sensors are for active park assist. I.E. automatic parallel parking.
The same goes for the front BLIS. They also assist with traffic alert on the front.
I am not sure if they are included with a 302A unless you have it prepped for the active park assist.
I believe the front BLIS uses a different harness that has your headlights going through it. When the front bumper is removed, the headlights stay on the truck.
My 302A had the wires in the engine bay harness for the 4 front sensors up to C1590 on the drivers side engine bay. I had to run wires from that connector to the IPMA. I know it had the wires for the 4 sensors I added but I do not know if it had the wires for 6.

I hope this answers some of your questions and does not add any confusion.
This is exactly the info I was looking to get. I will have to see when my truck is delivered to see if frI have the bliss sensors and see if any of the wiring is 6 sensor ready or I want to pull wires all the way. It really comes down to how tight of a space this auto parking can do. Where I manage properties I will be lucky if there is 6" of space in front and back so this is only cool if the truck is smart enough to navigate that.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
@Omodan (or anyone) - can then recommend a particular drill bit? I tried a Milwaukee bi-metal and it was walking a lot making the hole what looks like was going to be too big.

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
@Omodan (or anyone) - can then recommend a particular drill bit? I tried a Milwaukee bi-metal and it was walking a lot making the hole what looks like was going to be too big.
I used a 1/4" drill bit as a starter hole, then switched to a step bit. I believe it was the 1" size that worked for me.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I used a 1/4" drill bit as a starter hole, then switched to a step bit. I believe it was the 1" size that worked for me.
Thanks. .... you know what brand? I was going to order the Nieko one on amazon (amazon says I already bought it in 2019 but I have no idea where it is. I was just worried that the milwaukee metal compatible whole saw bit didnt drill for nothing. Dont want to get caught 3 steps into the step bit cause then I cant go back :)

Sponsored

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
Thanks. .... you know what brand? I was going to order the Nieko one on amazon (amazon says I already bought it in 2019 but I have no idea where it is. I was just worried that the milwaukee metal compatible whole saw bit didnt drill for nothing. Dont want to get caught 3 steps into the step bit cause then I cant go back :)
I went all out and bought the Harbor Freight “Hercules” bits. I know, big spender but it did the trick.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I went all out and bought the Harbor Freight “Hercules” bits. I know, big spender but it did the trick.
Awsome... I was just super nervious as my larger 1-1/4 metal hole saw plus some walking and it was getting really close to being too big. It also jerked a bit when pilot broke through and somehow put a little mark maybe 1/16 long outside of what should be covered by the retainer. Still not sure how it happened. I took it easy tonight and decide to 'just' pin some connectors for the 5 and the 6th front sensor.

I did cach my f'up on video - spent like 20 minutes measuring making sure I had the exact spot and then whipped out the drill like it was the first time I used it before. I really should have grabbed a helper to hold the bumper instead wasnt really thinking about it bidning and wavying the drill all over the place. Plus should have added some cutting oil and maybe swapped to another drill that has a second handle and goes slower. Will post it later.

OP
OP
Omodan

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2022 Expedition Timberline
I used a Milwaukee hole punch set (4 bits) that had a center tap that held the bit in place. It worked real well for me. The set ranged in sizes from 3/4“ to 1&1/2”. Think it cost me about $35. The center hole punch really helped as it would otherwise have shifted a lot while trying to punch the larger hole.

The center punch on the bit, pictured below, sheered off on a separate job I did. it had no issues on my bumper though.

Ford F-150 Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 092433D1-1FEB-491B-882B-8BB91910824E

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Anyone have any forscan guidance on enableing the 4 front (or 6 front) parking sensors. I did 6 front with the plan of adding the two more for the back to make it Active Park Assit ready(I have a ipma out of platnuim. But step #1 for me would be get the front 4 working in basic way...

OP
OP
Omodan

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2022 Expedition Timberline
Anyone have any forscan guidance on enableing the 4 front (or 6 front) parking sensors. I did 6 front with the plan of adding the two more for the back to make it Active Park Assit ready(I have a ipma out of platnuim. But step #1 for me would be get the front 4 working in basic way...
I listed the steps to enable the 4 front sensors at the bottom of the original post. Did those steps not work for you?

Sponsored

evoslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL RCSB 5.0
Where is the best place to get front sensors for a reasonable price?

ENG430

First Name
Ahmad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
Installed and worked 100% on Lariat 2021. Thank you all and special thanks to @antho .

riderryan92

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
AV Installer
Has anyone seen the price of the park sensors skyrocket?
I went to check to see the in retaining clips were back in stock and was shocked to see the sensors are now $170 a pop.

Does anyone know if a ku5z-15k859-aaptm would work? Appears to be for a 2019 F150.
Ford F-150 Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A Screenshot 2023-05-28 172643

Ford F-150 Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 1685312928589

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I am having issues 'activating' my new front parking sensors. I have a 302A and did a bumper harness swap and then wired sensor from fire wall it IPMA. All seemed to go okay but when I made the settings I didnt see anyhting when I smashed in to my garage door 🤣 In FDRS there is a way to pull up the sensors on the bus and I saw the front sensor presence was toggling from TRUE to FALSE fairly quickly. None of those sensors stayed true so therefore they had no distance.

*Anyone ever see that toggle - I assume it is because i have some sort of crossed wires and getting a ground fault but wondering if there is no sensors hooked up so I just see a constant false or is the toggling exspected

*I am running 6 front sensors but enabled setup as 8 in total sensors(what you would pick if you have 4 front and 4 rear) since I didnt yet add two more rear sensors to make 12 in total. I assume the extra two sensors is not freaking out the others?

*Any advice - my plan A is see if I can reach under the bumper and disconnect the sensors one at a time and see if that makes the issue go away. My plan B is to unwire the sensor wires at firewall connector and hook them back up one at a time.

Melly

First Name
Melbourne Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I am having issues 'activating' my new front parking sensors. I have a 302A and did a bumper harness swap and then wired sensor from fire wall it IPMA. All seemed to go okay but when I made the settings I didnt see anyhting when I smashed in to my garage door 🤣 In FDRS there is a way to pull up the sensors on the bus and I saw the front sensor presence was toggling from TRUE to FALSE fairly quickly. None of those sensors stayed true so therefore they had no distance.

*Anyone ever see that toggle - I assume it is because i have some sort of crossed wires and getting a ground fault but wondering if there is no sensors hooked up so I just see a constant false or is the toggling exspected

*I am running 6 front sensors but enabled setup as 8 in total sensors(what you would pick if you have 4 front and 4 rear) since I didnt yet add two more rear sensors to make 12 in total. I assume the extra two sensors is not freaking out the others?

*Any advice - my plan A is see if I can reach under the bumper and disconnect the sensors one at a time and see if that makes the issue go away. My plan B is to unwire the sensor wires at firewall connector and hook them back up one at a time.
Hey man, same thing here, I installed the 6 sensors on my 21 302A this morning, still can't get it come on in front of an object.i used the changes from the king ranch forum. Trying to drive around for a bit to see if it will kick in.
Sponsored