Sponsored

Ford driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB 2022 Explorer
Occupation
Durability Test Technician
I can hit 27 to 28 MPG using the PB (love it). I can see the ICE getting more efficient, the battery pack getting bigger and denser, and the electric motor output increasing. All of this incrementally. The more we can utilize the electric mode, the MPG will just keep getting better and better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The initial results of the thread were from a chevy bolt EUV -- it wanted to pull 7.5x kWh charging on this charger rated for 30a. The mach-e on the other hand will allow the charger to stay at the 7.2kWh level. Interesting how that works.

The nice piece of info gathered here is that the 7.2kW rated inverter will put out up to 7.5x kW without a fuss. I don't have the equipment on-hand to sneak up on its trip point however. It'd be nice to see what the 'peak' and sustained rates are.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Given the choice though I'd rather have the 3.0 Diesel or coyote motor as the ICE. Diesel likes to be warm and with a 20+ kWh battery, it'd be easy to make it work. No need for constant start / stop, it can turn on, charge the system up while heating up the engine and shutoff. No engine likes being started and stopped constantly unless it's warmed up.

Regardless, the push to strict EV doesn't make sense if you actually tow. Perhaps we'll end up seeing something more realistic like a flat 4 motor power unit connected directly to a generator that allows for hybrids that are EVs w/ ~50kWh batteries and when towing, the ICE runs strictly as a generator to provide continual power and therefore good range and fast refueling. Watching these people try and pull a ~30ft travel trailer with a lightning having to stop every 2 hours to charge for an hour shows quite clearly that's not a viable solution. We're still a long way off (technologically and time) and a good trillion $ away from practical EV heavy-haul.
Diesel locomotives have been setup like this since around 1939 so the tech is not new by any stretch. Why they never really implemented a similar setup to it in automotive hybrids is beyond me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Gotta be a reason, because it's not a reach to consider it. It's actually common for the suggestion.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Gotta be a reason, because it's not a reach to consider it. It's actually common for the suggestion.
My best guess would be because gasoline was cheap for the majority of the lifespan of the ICE powered car. Hell some of the first electric cars were available around the same time as the Model A and some had close to a 100 mile range and topped out at 20+ mph. Crazy impressive given the time period. Unfortunately they were abandoned for ICE powered cars because they were so cheap to operate.

Sponsored

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
My best guess would be because gasoline was cheap for the majority of the lifespan of the ICE powered car. Hell some of the first electric cars were available around the same time as the Model A and some had close to a 100 mile range and topped out at 20+ mph. Crazy impressive given the time period. Unfortunately they were abandoned for ICE powered cars because they were so cheap to operate.
(emphasis added by me)

And just imagine where we would be with EV technology, charging, even batteries, if they chose EV over ICE.
Sponsored