First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Planning to try and charge my Tesla MX with the 7.2 just to see if it is a backup option for my wall charger.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I am curious to see how many gallons of gas it would take to fully charge an electric car and just how efficient the F-150 is as a generator.

I would at least hope that the Tesla can go farther on a gallon of gas generated by a truck, however, you might be surprised.

The real question isn’t if you can charge an electric vehicle with the 7.2kw generator on the the F-150, the question is if it’s worth it.

Yes, there probably is a situation where you might need two vehicles, or a Tesla is at zero volts somewhere remote. But if the power is out at your house, then it’s probably going to be out where you will be driving and at that point you might as well just drive the truck.

Hopefully, some empirical evidence will come out as more experience is gained with the Powerboost.

My guess is that Ford already has the answer and that the answer is more nuanced than hoped, otherwise, it would be in the press packages and marketing materials.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy

Sponsored

OP
OP
PungoteagueDave

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Still don't have the Powerboost truck, would only be for emergency use. Costs about $5 to charge in Florida from wall power for 325 miles of range, so silly to use the generator, but in a pinch would work per the TFL video linked above.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It's likely a future business opportunity as well. If an electric car is stranded it either needs towing to a charger or someone to bring a quite beefy genny and wait until it has enough charge to get to a charger. The TFL video shows how the truck safely caps the load to 30A per phase and can charge the car, just not quite as fast as a 50A or a supercharger, but at a decent rate. But one could run a mobile charging business without having to lug a super beefy generator, then charge the driver per hour or whatever and it might be less than a tow truck, I don't know.
Sponsored