Sponsored

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm getting quotes between $1300 and $1700. I have a friend though that owns an auto body shop and he might be able to get the guys he uses for cars shows to do it for half the cost. Still working out the details with him.
My flight from Alaska and driving it back 3,400 miles will cost me $750. I sleep in the truck and buy food in a grocery store... and I get to see amazing sights along the way.
Sponsored

Swamp Donkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 F150XL
Occupation
Pressurized Tube Commander
My flight from Alaska and driving it back 3,400 miles will cost me $750. I sleep in the truck and buy food in a grocery store... and I get to see amazing sights along the way.

I’ll be doing the same - the only pill to take was having a new truck with 3400 miles on it. The $9k+ savings made the decision much easier.

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
Just joined the forum, but have been lurking for a while. Just ordered my truck from Granger thanks to this forum and this thread. Honestly the best purchasing process I've gone through yet.

I'm getting quotes between $1300 and $1700. I have a friend though that owns an auto body shop and he might be able to get the guys he uses for cars shows to do it for half the cost. Still working out the details with him.
I'm in Northern New Jersey and considering having the vehicle delivered as well. Perhaps if there are 2 vehicles making the same trip your buddy would give you a discount? Just an idea.

OK, I can't see how a flight/2 nights hotel/food and gas are more expensive than $1300, but as you said - to each his own.
I am just concerned with "what if". Who are you going to contact, Granger? They'll tell you the car loaded in pristine condition (and they'll probably be right). The shipper? They'll tell you that's how they got the car from the dealer. So you start chasing parties, dealing with repairs, etc. At least when you drive, you are responsible to what happens, it's "on you", for good or bad.
Of course if you can use your friend's service for half the cost that's a different story. I just checked a quote for myself, 1000 miles to SC, and saw similar numbers. Granted, I can do it 2 days, you'll probably need three.
Good luck and most importantly - enjoy the new ride!
Fear of damage to the truck in transit is not a reason to not do it. The simple solution is to have Granger take a video walk around of the truck before it's loaded, and then again once it's loaded. Send you the files and you're good to go. The shipper isn't going to fight if it's fixing a minor paint scratch here or there, any major damage that occurs will be obvious that it happened in transit since it won't be on the video files.

That said, I do genuinely like a long drive so don't mind the trip if I need to make it. And I have friends I can visit along the way. My only concern is putting a brand new engine on cruise control for that long. Though supposedly you don't need to do as rigorous of an engine break in as you used to. And this isn't a racecar.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
My only concern is putting a brand new engine on cruise control for that long. Though supposedly you don't need to do as rigorous of an engine break in as you used to. And this isn't a racecar.
I really don't understand everyone's issue with "putting a brand new engine on cruise control for that long".
What is the issue with that? All the cruise control does is relieving your foot, that's all. If you're worried cruise control by virtue of its existance will harm your new engine than maintain the different speed limits with your foot.
And it's not like you set it at, say 70 mph, and cruise at that speed for 10-20 hours non-stop from Granger IA all the way to NJ. Trust me, that's not the case. I just brought my new truck from Granger last night, 2 days of driving at numerous speeds due to speed limits and traffic, most of it with cruise control. Again - the only difference is that instead of setting the speed with my foot I set it with my finger. From 45 mph all the way to 70, using two alternating modes (normal and eco), various engine speeds and gears. I honestly don't see what's the issue (yeah, I get it, it got it's stamp of "approval" from someone in the "breaking in" thread without any fact or science to prove it).
Of course to each his own ?

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
I really don't understand everyone's issue with "putting a brand new engine on cruise control for that long".
What is the issue with that? All the cruise control does is relieving your foot, that's all. If you're worried cruise control by virtue of its existance will harm your new engine than maintain the different speed limits with your foot.
And it's not like you set it at, say 70 mph, and cruise at that speed for 10-20 hours non-stop from Granger IA all the way to NJ. Trust me, that's not the case. I just brought my new truck from Granger last night, 2 days of driving at numerous speeds due to speed limits and traffic, most of it with cruise control. Again - the only difference is that instead of setting the speed with my foot I set it with my finger. From 45 mph all the way to 70, using two alternating modes (normal and eco), various engine speeds and gears. I honestly don't see what's the issue (yeah, I get it, it got it's stamp of "approval" from someone in the "breaking in" thread without any fact or science to prove it).
Of course to each his own ?
Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my post. I assumed people could deduce that by "cruise control" I really meant "holding the engine at constant speed and load for a long period of time." I have no issues or concerns about the operation of the cruise control system itself.

I admit this topic has plenty of debate. Supposedly modern engine's are built with tolerances that make engine "break in" not as important, and perhaps not even necessary. But varying engine load and rpms during "break in" is still considered by many as best practice to ensure optimal seals and performance from the engine. Break in can have an impact on performance and fuel economy throughout the life of the engine. This is why it's a concern.

Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my post. I assumed people could deduce that by "cruise control" I really meant "holding the engine at constant speed and load for a long period of time." I have no issues or concerns about the operation of the cruise control system itself.

I admit this topic has plenty of debate. Supposedly modern engine's are built with tolerances that make engine "break in" not as important, and perhaps not even necessary. But varying engine load and rpms during "break in" is still considered by many as best practice to ensure optimal seals and performance from the engine. Break in can have an impact on performance and fuel economy throughout the life of the engine. This is why it's a concern.
Thanks for clarifying re cruise control.

I agree with you, but there is nothing special other than what the manual says regarding break-in period and you'll definitely be able to do that in a longn drive from the dealer, including various engine load and rpms:

Ford F-150 3% Under Invoice 2022 F-150 Order - Granger Ford 1639657116105

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
Thanks for clarifying re cruise control.

I agree with you, but there is nothing special other than what the manual says regarding break-in period and you'll definitely be able to do that in a longn drive from the dealer, including various engine load and rpms:

1639657116105.png
So i have a question on this. Can anyone provide a link to the manufacturer definition of "driving at high speeds"?

Looking for a written, up to date, manufacturer definition here, not a "I was told by _______, it means _____" or "I worked at/with _____ and it means ______."

I think this is a unicorn definition (one that can never be found) as Ford has never stated specifically what this means (that I have been able to find).

So all we have is what people have heard or do for themselves. I really hope someone can prove my statement wrong with an official link. It would sooth my OCD on this. :LOL:

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

So i have a question on this. Can anyone provide a link to the manufacturer definition of "driving at high speeds"?

Looking for a written, up to date, manufacturer definition here, not a "I was told by _______, it means _____" or "I worked at/with _____ and it means ______."

I think this is a unicorn definition (one that can never be found) as Ford has never stated specifically what this means (that I have been able to find).

So all we have is what people have heard or do for themselves. I really hope someone can prove my statement wrong with an official link. It would sooth my OCD on this. :LOL:
Exactly!
Speed - I suppose Ford basically "warns" you to obey the speed limit. There is no speed limit in the US that would cause the vehicle harm, even during break-in period.
Someone mentioned the 50mph that a shop told someone...again - why 50? Why not 45, or 55? Why not 62?
As I said (and you as well) - someone heard that someone told him that someone was doing this and the truck lasted forever, and another someone heard that another someone was doing that and his truck crapped after a year. A thread with 80 posts of suggestions and advise that have zero evidence of them being true (or untrue, for what it's worth).

Pick up your new truck from the dealer, drive it home, obey speed limits, and enjoy the ride. You'll hit many different speeds and engine "loads" with traffic all of over the place, as well as driving up and down mountains.

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly!
Speed - I suppose Ford basically "warns" you to obey the speed limit. There is no speed limit in the US that would cause the vehicle harm, even during break-in period.
I agree with your first statement above - that is very logical to me.

I'm not sure that I can agree with your 2nd statement above, as I have no official Ford information to define high speeds. High speeds has been defined elsewhere as interstate speeds. So 55-80. Maybe that's why a mechanic said 50. Of course 30/40 in a parade, to me, is high speed.

This is why I would love to have an official definition. Because I still see it as everyone's opinion at this point. (is it an engine seal thing, a drivetrain seal thing, a Ford thing from the 60's....)

I do agree to take it easy on the truck for the 1st 1k miles, whatever that is.

Maybe that definition will come after they fix the 22 VIN tracker & 2022 F150 build and price, and publish an API for third parties to provide build and VIN tracking. :LOL:

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree with your first statement above - that is very logical to me.

I'm not sure that I can agree with your 2nd statement above, as I have no official Ford information to define high speeds. High speeds has been defined elsewhere as interstate speeds. So 55-80. Maybe that's why a mechanic said 50. Of course 30/40 in a parade, to me, is high speed.

This is why I would love to have an official definition. Because I still see it as everyone's opinion at this point. (is it an engine seal thing, a drivetrain seal thing, a Ford thing from the 60's....)

I do agree to take it easy on the truck for the 1st 1k miles, whatever that is.

Maybe that definition will come after they fix the 22 VIN tracker & 2022 F150 build and price, and publish an API for third parties to provide build and VIN tracking. :LOL:
Care to elaborate on the elsewhere ?! Is it members of this forum in another thread ??
I honestly don't think that 1.6-1.7 RPM driving 70-74 mph is putting any stress at all on a 5.0 liter engine, even if it's brand new. I can tell you that my RPM never exceeded the 2.1-2.2 on my way home from the dealer even when I tried ?. I used Manual downshifting to "put some load" on the engine (as "someone" suggested) when driving down steep hills, but tbh I am not a big 'reving' drivers to begin with, I never have. Never ever did I reach within 1500-2000 rpm from the red line even with well broken-in vehicles. I am on the older side and as much as it never appealed to me when I was younger, it sure as hell does not appeal to me now, so I am really not worried.

Sponsored

unscheduled clean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 tremor
Exactly!
Someone mentioned the 50mph that a shop told someone...again - why 50? Why not 45, or 55? Why not 62?
As I said (and you as well) - someone heard that someone told him that someone was doing this and the truck lasted forever, and another someone heard that another someone was doing that and his truck crapped after a year. A thread with 80 posts of suggestions and advise that have zero evidence of them being true (or untrue, for what it's worth).

Pick up your new truck from the dealer, drive it home, obey speed limits, and enjoy the ride. You'll hit many different speeds and engine "loads" with traffic all of over the place, as well as driving up and down mountains.
I would think that a specific RPM would be more important that speed. The engine does not care about speed. it cares about how fast the internals are moving.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would think that a specific RPM would be more important that speed. The engine does not care about speed. it cares about how fast the internals are moving.
I agree with you. I think the speed factor is mentioned because higher speeds may require you to use heavier braking.

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Elsewhere is like anywhere in the multiverse (including another thread(s) in this forum). Think multiple Loki's if you've seen that series. :)

I agree that highway speed, logically, shouldn't cause an issue in the first 1k miles, but I don't have a manufacturer data point to tell me that and it makes my OCD hurt because I try to plan for stuff like that.:rolleyes:

The RPM thing is logical, but is it RPM over a certain amount of time? Heat kills electrical equipment life, so there's a calculation for heat over time for loss of life. None of that here.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone - from what I've read there's logic that could be followed in a number of different thoughts - I'm just wishing Ford would have a definition of the "high speed" we're supposed to avoid.

Given the last two years in the world, I think none of it probably matters, and simply enjoy the ride home from our long distance purchases.

Franger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F-150
If someone asks me if I want to buy a used truck with 1000 miles of highway driving or 1000 miles of stop and go city driving, I know which one I’m picking.

Theres a reason for the prevailing opinion that highway miles are better for engines than stop an go. And as far as brakes go, bedding in is a process that happens without much fanfare as long as someone isn’t max braking from 60+ over and over.

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
Load on the engine is really the important parameter during a break-in, not rpm or speed. It's just that the manufacturer has to simplify it down to something everyone (hopefully) can understand. That's also why they state no towing for first 1000 miles.
Sponsored