Pro Power 2KW Opinions..Worth It?

cjreyes

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
I wanted to get some input from folks that have the Pro Power 2kw onboard inverter? Would you order it again or leave it off?

I have it on my current tremor build sheet & thinking about removing it. I know that the truck has to be on for it to work and heard that it is noisy. I don’t plan on running anything significant off of it. If I need the power I will just buy a small Honda suitcase generator. Just thought it would be nice to have.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
The sound isn't any louder than the truck engine running.
In fact, the Honda inverter generator is quite loud in comparison; check YT videos.

At a RV campsite, you will most likely not be allowed to run your Honda generator after certain hour at night, but no one would complain about a truck engine running.

The comparable Honda 2200 Inverter generator will run you $1200 or so. It has the portability factor, smaller fuel tank and lack of a 30A plug.

Maintenance is also a consideration..... truck vs. small genset

dvdizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
considering this to power my motorcycle tire warmers....

doesnt the engine run at a much lower RPM too? i have the 5.0 v8 ordered

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I was personally underwhelmed by the 2kw generator. The noise people complained about is the fan noise for the inverter which is under the back seat. That never really bothered me but you can hear it.

The 2kw system did seem to be sensitive to spikes, I would consider it to be a 1.3-1.5 kw inverter with 2kw peak.

It’s value totally depends on what you intend to use it for. If you are camping and want to recharge some devices or run a coffee pot it’s great. If you want a generator on hand to keep a fridge running and a couple lights, it’s great. Tailgating and want a stereo and crock pot or hot plate…great. Don’t count on running power tools with it due to the current spike on startup. Remember that the engine has to run all the time that you want power and when you plug something in the truck runs at a high RPM idle so it’s louder than the standard idle. This is also important to remember if you are tailgating or camping and want to use the tailgate as a work surface because the fumes exhaust from the truck is right next to you.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I wanted to get some input from folks that have the Pro Power 2kw onboard inverter? Would you order it again or leave it off?

I have it on my current tremor build sheet & thinking about removing it. I know that the truck has to be on for it to work and heard that it is noisy. I don’t plan on running anything significant off of it. If I need the power I will just buy a small Honda suitcase generator. Just thought it would be nice to have.

Thoughts?
I am unlucky . My propower is not working for 3 mos since i got truck . Faults each time gets wet in rain , snow, or if washed . Dealer has no solutions and wont try to fix till software changes . Id skip and use portable inverter . Ive listed my 3 mos old truck for sale

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Although 2 kW is kinda small for a house... the 2 kW is a floating neutral generator and could be directly plugged into your house, unlike the 2.4 & 7.2 kW inverter generators which are bonded neutral generators. These will trip the ground fault circuit in the truck if connected to the house wiring...

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
For me, the 2.0 Kw generator would not be worth getting. For starters, the 2.0 isn't large enough to run the A/C in my trailer. The second reason is the truck's engine runs the entire time the generator is being used.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a 3.5 EB so not 100% comparable. but the 3.5L normal idle is 7-800 rpm. In generator mode it runs at 1,100 rpm. As it has been said, it is definitely not going to give you 2kW at 120v. I don't even think it could handle a 2kW startup surge. The overload safety is really sensitive, and it trips out instantly. If you need to run anything over 1,500 watts, you'd be better off saving the $900+ dollar option on your truck, and just putting that toward a better quality portable.

I did a lot of testing on the 2kW inverter in these trucks here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2kw-pro-power-with-ecoboost.5440/

Beyond not getting 2kW out of it, the voltage output falls off after 1,100 watts as well.
400W = 120v
1100W = 109v
1900W = 104v

So anything that voltage sensitive won't like it.

If you can get past all that, then it's not the worst waste of money. It is nice to be able plug in my shop vac/blower and blow the leaves and dirt out of the back of my truck at the compost site. And the system will run small appliances, or a TV. So it has it's uses.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
I have a 3.5 EB so not 100% comparable. but the 3.5L normal idle is 7-800 rpm. In generator mode it runs at 1,100 rpm. As it has been said, it is definitely not going to give you 2kW at 120v. I don't even think it could handle a 2kW startup surge. The overload safety is really sensitive, and it trips out instantly. If you need to run anything over 1,500 watts, you'd be better off saving the $900+ dollar option on your truck, and just putting that toward a better quality portable.

I did a lot of testing on the 2kW inverter in these trucks here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2kw-pro-power-with-ecoboost.5440/

Beyond not getting 2kW out of it, the voltage output falls off after 1,100 watts as well.
400W = 120v
1100W = 109v
1900W = 104v

So anything that voltage sensitive won't like it.

If you can get past all that, then it's not the worst waste of money. It is nice to be able plug in my shop vac/blower and blow the leaves and dirt out of the back of my truck at the compost site. And the system will run small appliances, or a TV. So it has it's uses.
I am blown away that you are seeing 109V and 104V's. I have a 13.5KW AC with a microair and i was not able to get the AC to start. I couldnt even get a hair dryer to turn on at low power.

TO top it off, it added more weight dropping my payload (extra batteries, extra alternator) and it has that annoying fan noise.

I wish i never check that box, i rather use that payload to carry a decent 2kw genny.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am blown away that you are seeing 109V and 104V's. I have a 13.5KW AC with a microair and i was not able to get the AC to start. I couldnt even get a hair dryer to turn on at low power.

TO top it off, it added more weight dropping my payload (extra batteries, extra alternator) and it has that annoying fan noise.

I wish i never check that box, i rather use that payload to carry a decent 2kw genny.
I hear ya. I can run my Travel Trailer AC off the 15A circuit in my garage, which was the whole reason I clicked the box, thought it would be nice to be able to run the AC off the truck at times, but nope, Ford's idea of 20A is barely a toaster...so disappointing. And I didn't even consider the payload I lost...so that just makes it worse.

Sponsored

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
My 21 Ecoboost wouldn’t run my 110v shallow well pump I have. I haven’t tried my Powerboost yet.

leonnyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
IT

I have it on my current tremor build sheet & thinking about removing it. I know that the truck has to be on for it to work and heard that it is noisy. I don’t plan on running anything significant off of it. If I need the power I will just buy small Honda suitcase generator. Just thought it would be nice to have it.

Thoughts?
I guess that this Honda suitcase is a good choice to have in your truck for different cases

Reactions: 780

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Thoughts?
I don't think so. 1) It's only 2.0Kw. 2) The engine must run the entire time the 2.0Kw outlet is in use.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Is there a big difference in payload between the 2k and 7.2k? If not, isn’t it the 7.2k like a $750 option?

Id probably opt for the bigger one. I almost wish I would have got it on mine but then payload was a factor in my decision.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Is there a big difference in payload between the 2k and 7.2k? If not, isn’t it the 7.2k like a $750 option?

Id probably opt for the bigger one. I almost wish I would have got it on mine but then payload was a factor in my decision.
Payload was a huge concern of mine also. I had a Ford supplied list of options and how much each option added to the base weight. I tried to be very careful on what options I actually asked for. The cargo capacity ended up being 1,645# which was just good enough for my 6,000# GVWR trailer My rough calculations were about 20# over the actual result.

If I couldn't have the 7.32Kw generator, I would have kept my 2014 EB w/ HDPP. The 2014 was a towing beast.
Sponsored