Pro Power 2KW Opinions..Worth It?

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Payload was a huge concern of mine also. I had a Ford supplied list of options and how much each option added to the base weight. I tried to be very careful on what options I actually asked for. The cargo capacity ended up being 1,645# which was just good enough for my 6,000# GVWR trailer My rough calculations were about 20# over the actual result.

If I couldn't have the 7.32Kw generator, I would have kept my 2014 EB w/ HDPP. The 2014 was a towing beast.
Just so I can really be disappointed in my choice (I say this because the generator question was asked, just before the order put in), how much payload does the 7.2kw system eat up?

I think mine is about 1830 lbs, maybe a little more as I can't recall the exact numbers. So far, its perfectly within the specs for my trailer, but I'm still trying to shave a little more off here or there, where I can.
Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Just so I can really be disappointed in my choice (I say this because the generator question was asked, just before the order put in), how much payload does the 7.2kw system eat up?

I think mine is about 1830 lbs, maybe a little more as I can't recall the exact numbers. So far, its perfectly within the specs for my trailer, but I'm still trying to shave a little more off here or there, where I can.
There is negligible difference between the 2.4Kw and 7.2Kw. To get a Power Boost with the payload capacity yours has you would need a pretty stripped XL model. The electric motor, the lithium battery, and extra inverters eat up a lot of weight in the Power Boost, even though the PB's GVWR is 7350#.

I got the PB because I use a couple of Honda generators to power my trailer when I boondock, which I do a lot. When I was younger the generators and extra gasoline didn't matter much. Now it does.

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
Similar to @Atlee , I was focused on payload and pull a 5-6k lb trailer, but still wanted a Lariat PB w/ the 7.2Kw generator. I opted for a 501A, but didn't spec heavier options like the moonroof, power running boards, tailgate step/utility stuff, FX4, etc which saved me maybe 150 lbs. I netted out at 1,614 lbs payload.

You could probably spec out a nice XLT and gain back a little ~50-100 lbs maybe? I'd do a little searching the forum for XLT PB payload stickers to make your estimates.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I wish i never check that box, i rather use that payload to carry a decent 2kw genny.
This is why I skipped it. We camp quite a bit, but in sites that are powered. For the rare time I might need a generator, I'd get a portable so I'd have the extra payload when a generator isn't required.

What do you lose for payload with the 2kw? 200 lbs?

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
This is why I skipped it. We camp quite a bit, but in sites that are powered. For the rare time I might need a generator, I'd get a portable so I'd have the extra payload when a generator isn't required.

Not sure but there is extra batteries and the invertor in the rear and I think there is a 2nd alternator.. I would imagine it's another 60lbs?

Assuming 10% tongue weight that's another 600lbs of towing capacity gone

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

I can't imagine there is much of a weight penalty with the 2K "generator". Any truck with 2K "generator" isn't a hybrid truck which means there is no heavy lithium battery nor the electric motor.

Trucks with the 2K "generator" idle the entire time the 2Kw "generator" is being used. I would never get the 2Kw "generator" option.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Trucks with the 2K "generator" idle the entire time the 2Kw "generator" is being used. I would never get the 2Kw "generator" option.
Good point.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Is there a big difference in payload between the 2k and 7.2k? If not, isn’t it the 7.2k like a $750 option?

Id probably opt for the bigger one. I almost wish I would have got it on mine but then payload was a factor in my decision.
It gets a little confusing, but to my knowledge the PB comes with 2.4kW standard and 7.2kW available. Non-PB trucks can get an available 2kW. I know nothing of the 2kW offering, just clearing up any confusion there might be regarding the 3 "ProPower" offerings.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
7.2kW option on PB is 12lbs or so. The lightning comes with the 2.4 unit stock (120v), w/ PPOB selected it ADDs the 7.2 (240v split phase, twin 3.6kW 120v circuits) as well. The units in the PB / Lightning are worlds apart from the 2.0 unit of the other trucks. Not even in the same league.

The inverters in the high voltage trucks (PB and lightning) use 280v (PB) or 380v (lightning) and turn it into AC (the PB's is under the rear of the cab, passenger side). They're water cooled pure sinewave inverters and will produce ~5% more than their ratings at full voltage. The 2kW unit on other trucks uses twin alternators in series to turn ~24v into 120v. I'm pretty surprised they have that much voltage sag on them at load. That's pretty disappointing to hear.

The PB engine when optioned comes with quite a few things that most folks would option anyway (includes max tow package's radiator and rear springs, 9.75" 3.73 rear locking diff w/ 4x4) (missing the 2.1% larger braking area and 3/4 floating axle). Its (PB engine) final cost less options ends up being a wash. While having the stoutest non-raptor frame of all F150s, its stickers are de-rated by about 5% vs axle ratings. Zero options 4x is 1830# 145", 1810# 158" payload, the 2wd 2090# 145", 2120# 157".

Don't think that going with the XLT buys you any more featureless weight -- The lariat is +10lbs over the XLT. My 302 XLT comes in at ~1465lbs on the sticker (365lbs of options), not even a sunroof (65lbs) on it. Personally I wouldn't have gotten neither the FX4 package (29#?) nor the bed utility package 49# (or the power pedals @ 7#). That's 90lbs I don't need. I have no use for the tailgate step and if you listen when the truck rocks on uneven terrain, you can hear the step making noise.

Personally I'm not worried about the sticker itself. I use the same ratio as other trucks do in regards to percentage of combined axle ratings. I've carried 35 80lb bags of cement for 15 miles using airbags to level it back out. The drive was unremarkable. I know, the universe was supposed to explode but the black hole never formed and only the back minded once it was over.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7.2kW option on PB is 12lbs or so. The lightning comes with the 2.4 unit stock (120v), w/ PPOB selected it ADDs the 7.2 (240v split phase, twin 3.6kW 120v circuits) as well. The units in the PB / Lightning are worlds apart from the 2.0 unit of the other trucks. Not even in the same league.

The inverters in the high voltage trucks (PB and lightning) use 280v (PB) or 380v (lightning) and turn it into AC (the PB's is under the rear of the cab, passenger side). They're water cooled pure sinewave inverters and will produce ~5% more than their ratings at full voltage. The 2kW unit on other trucks uses twin alternators in series to turn ~24v into 120v. I'm pretty surprised they have that much voltage sag on them at load. That's pretty disappointing to hear.

The PB engine when optioned comes with quite a few things that most folks would option anyway (includes max tow package's radiator and rear springs, 9.75" 3.73 rear locking diff w/ 4x4) (missing the 2.1% larger braking area and 3/4 floating axle). Its (PB engine) final cost less options ends up being a wash. While having the stoutest non-raptor frame of all F150s, its stickers are de-rated by about 5% vs axle ratings. Zero options 4x is 1830# 145", 1810# 158" payload, the 2wd 2090# 145", 2120# 157".

Don't think that going with the XLT buys you any more featureless weight -- The lariat is +10lbs over the XLT. My 302 XLT comes in at ~1465lbs on the sticker (365lbs of options), not even a sunroof (65lbs) on it. Personally I wouldn't have gotten neither the FX4 package (29#?) nor the bed utility package 49# (or the power pedals @ 7#). That's 90lbs I don't need. I have no use for the tailgate step and if you listen when the truck rocks on uneven terrain, you can hear the step making noise.

Personally I'm not worried about the sticker itself. I use the same ratio as other trucks do in regards to percentage of combined axle ratings. I've carried 35 80lb bags of cement for 15 miles using airbags to level it back out. The drive was unremarkable. I know, the universe was supposed to explode but the black hole never formed and only the back minded once it was over.
Your xlt only has 1465 lbs of payload? Mine is over 1800..

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Your xlt only has 1465 lbs of payload? Mine is over 1800..
Yep, ford under-rates the PB's as the truck is 5900lbs empty. 4WD costs ~300lbs and the hybrid components with HD frame costs ~800lbs.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep, ford under-rates the PB's as the truck is 5900lbs empty. 4WD costs ~300lbs and the hybrid components with HD frame costs ~800lbs.
Oh its a powerboost...i didn't see that when I replied from my phone.

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
I like it on my 3.5 EB. Runs power tools and powers my fridge in an outage. It's all I need
Sponsored