Sponsored

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium
The plot thickens! Sorry--it's my shorthand coming through here. I didn't want to type out "Pro Trailer Hitch Assist" every time, but that's what I meant--the one that moves your vehicle under the trailer tongue. Here's the thread where you can find the suggested forscan edits to enable pro trailer hitch assist: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...atabase-spreadsheet.1578/page-137#post-318916

I had made these edits previously, and the pro hitch assist didn't work. Then, when I replaced my IPMA with a 2021 model to enable Automatic Parking Assist, the hitch assist started working as well, so it was my speculation that the APA chip was required to move the vehicle (since that was the only modification that I made between the two tests). If you're correct in that you only need updated software to enable the pro trailer hitch assist, I know that @Snakebitten will be pleased, since he's been avoiding the IPMA replacement.
Thanks for the values. I will try to get them checked this afternoon.
Sponsored

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
I hope I don't make things worse here but names matter. I just ordered my truck a week ago but according to Fords build site, the Tow Package comes with Pro Trailer Backup Assist.

Which Ford shows as this.

In other words, trailer back up assist only. Not active, just camera stuff. Nothing to do with hitching.

But further down the build site, where the PTBA is checked, it describes it as coming with Pro Trailer Hitch Assist included.

Which Ford shows here.

In other words, the auto steering and pedals, to get under the hitch.

There is no disclaimer about SDs or Lightnings only, on the build site.

So, I know I have the park assist delete but I'm expecting those other goodies.

If not, not end of the world, because just having the hitch camera will be a huge upgrade for me but no dealers I talked to, mentioned not having these hitching features.
Your first issue is talking to the dealers. They are clueless.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
In this vid. there is a demo and interview with a Ford rep. She says it comes on 2023 F150s AND there will be an OTA update for current gens that have Pro Trailer Backup Assist. So, no extra parts, or Forscan fiddling required.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
An OTA isn't going to overcome the missing apa chip though.

So I don't think she can guarantee every truck with ProTrailer Backup Assist can get ProTrailer Hitch Assist. Not necessarily possible.

Vick!

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Yeah, I hooked mine up, but everything I start it, my steer wheel does 180 degrees, then it will work. Is this correct, or should I reprogram it again?

Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
An OTA isn't going to overcome the missing apa chip though.

So I don't think she can guarantee every truck with ProTrailer Backup Assist can get ProTrailer Hitch Assist. Not necessarily possible.
I'm sure you know way more than I do. Just posting a vid from an official auto show, with a named ford rep. from 4 days ago.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sure you know way more than I do. Just posting a vid from an official auto show, with a named ford rep. from 4 days ago.
I really hope that I didn't come across arrogant or know it all. If so, that's regretful.

I also should watch the video BEFORE I say this:
The Ford Rep may have stated that a feature in a 2023 F150 is going to be made available to previous year models if they are equipped with the necessary feature, in this case, ProTrailer Backup Assist.
But what they wouldn't have accounted for, nor would I be surprised that they wouldn't even know, is that ProTrailer Hitch Assist actually requires MORE than just ProTrailer Backup Assist to function.

Unless I have completely misunderstood and that ProTrailer Hitch Assist actually doesn't need the technology (software and hardware chip) that Automatic Park Assist uses.
However, if you think about it, Park Assist and Hitch assist are definitely kissing cousins. They both are hands-free motion and steering and external object proximity awareness activities.
So what is literally the reason Park Assist got deleted on some trucks for (a missing IPMA chip) would be the same obstacle for Hitch Assist.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really hope that I didn't come across arrogant or know it all. If so, that's regretful.

The Ford Rep may have stated that a feature in a 2023 F150 is going to be made available to previous year models if they are equipped with the necessary feature, in this case, ProTrailer Backup Assist.
But what they wouldn't have accounted for, nor would I be surprised that they wouldn't even know, is that ProTrailer Hitch Assist actually requires MORE than just ProTrailer Backup Assist to function.

Unless I have completely misunderstood and that ProTrailer Hitch Assist actually doesn't need the technology (software and hardware chip) that Automatic Park Assist uses.
However, if you think about it, Park Assist and Hitch assist are definitely kissing cousins. They both are hands-free motion and steering and external object proximity awareness activities.
So what is literally the reason Park Assist got deleted on some trucks for (a missing IPMA chip) would be the same obstacle for Hitch Assist.
We're good.

I stated fact. You do know way more than I do. Plain and simple.

And your reasoning is perfectly logical.

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium

I really want to emphasize that Pro Hitch DOES NOT require APA, and least not on my23 build. My23 had APA delete (little chip missing, unless with my build it was just not activated). but HAD Pro Hitch Assist. Since switching to a '21 IPMA, I now have the missing chip, have APA, but no longer have Pro Hitch Assist. It just times out when I try to activate it. I 100% promise I had Pro Trailer Assist with the Active Park Assist Deleted from my build.

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium
Did you verify that all of the Hitch Assist features are turned on in Forscan? It’s possible that when you swapped IPMAs that the new one was set up without Hitch Assist enabled, so you might have to go “turn it back on.” Or maybe you just need a reboot of the IMPA system.

I agree that the two are separate features and might be enabled individually, but as I understand it, they both need the vehicle control chip that was deleted as part of the APA delete. If you have APA working, you should be able to get the Hitch Assist working as well.
Looked at all the Forescan settings, and they were all correct. I'm leaning towards it being a programming thing, not hardware related. All the news out says FORD uses AI, with a ton hitch image programmed in to learn from. Wondering if the '21 need to make sure it's programmed with the the correct 23 build to make sure those AI images are loaded into the module. Mines tries to work, but times out everytime with the my21 IPMA, where it worked quickly with the my23 IPMA. There seems to be a thought leading to the missing chip in the 21 IPMA as the issue, but again, my23 had the Pro hitch, not the APA..

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really want to emphasize that Pro Hitch DOES NOT require APA, and least not on my23 build. My23 had APA delete (little chip missing, unless with my build it was just not activated). but HAD Pro Hitch Assist. Since switching to a '21 IPMA, I now have the missing chip, have APA, but no longer have Pro Hitch Assist. It just times out when I try to activate it. I 100% promise I had Pro Trailer Assist with the Active Park Assist Deleted from my build.
That definitely conflicts with the current consensus. Thanks for posting!

I wonder if Park Assist delete can be for more than one reason?
On my truck ONLY the IPMA chip appears to be missing. (I have all (6) front sensors and rear sensors. All cameras)

Hopefully the gurus will come along and help clarify?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i may have to go try this now and see
i have my trailer set in pro trailer assist but have not tested this FIND or guide my truck the tongue yet
i do know reverse brake assist is fully functional as i accidentally tested it toady backing into the carport a bit fast and the truck saw the sun screen and BAM i stopped like i hit something

i have nothing to do this afternoon so its on

asouza68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platnium
That definitely conflicts with the current consensus. Thanks for posting!

I wonder if Park Assist delete can be for more than one reason?
On my truck ONLY the IPMA chip appears to be missing. (I have all (6) front sensors and rear sensors. All cameras)

Hopefully the gurus will come along and help clarify?
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm half tempted to put the MY23 IPMA back, and see if APA can be activated. I've followed the APA forum, and with @Jesse-Infotainment help was able to get APA up and running. Maybe there were different reasons, maybe some of the MY23 had the missing chip but they keep the delete since some did not have it? Guess I could open up the my23 IPMA and check for that chip before putting it back in. If the chip is missing, then there is a different issue regarding Pro Hitch that doesn't require that missing APA chip.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm half tempted to put the MY23 IPMA back, and see if APA can be activated. I've followed the APA forum, and with @Jesse-Infotainment help was able to get APA up and running. Maybe there were different reasons, maybe some of the MY23 had the missing chip but they keep the delete since some did not have it? Guess I could open up the my23 IPMA and check for that chip before putting it back in. If the chip is missing, then there is a different issue regarding Pro Hitch that doesn't require that missing APA chip.
Aron has it working with a 21 IPMA. Iceman has it working with a 22 IPMA.. Aron added APA Iceman had it from Factory.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Aron has it working with a 21 IPMA. Iceman has it working with a 22 IPMA.. Aron added APA Iceman had it from Factory.
i didnt see the codes in the forscan excell sheet
is it hiding in the ipma part
thanks
Sponsored