First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
There is an DCACA module also called an OBGI that converts high voltage DC to high voltage AC. After the initial Powerboost models were developed (which is the one I own), Ford came out with a new software for this module, moving it from software level AE to AF. Ford says that the AF level has "better starting capability for low impedance loads (like a miter saw) and was released shortly after the customer's vehicle was built".
Well... if it's just a software change... can't they update your module? (Doubtful since it took 4 MONTHS for them to even fess up that they knew there was an issue with "early model" PowerBoosts.)

Also, do you happen to know which module or when the change happened (going from AE to AF)? It'd be nice to figure out a way to check the software version without having to go into the dealership.
Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
There has to be something screwy going on. I only have the 2.4 in my 21 Lariat PB and I’ve never had issues with any of my power tools. I’ve run Dewalt compound miter, table saw, etc and I’ve not once even tripped the breaker. Hopefully you can get this resolved. Good luck.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
There has to be something screwy going on. I only have the 2.4 in my 21 Lariat PB and I’ve never had issues with any of my power tools. I’ve run Dewalt compound miter, table saw, etc and I’ve not once even tripped the breaker. Hopefully you can get this resolved. Good luck.
I know the 7.2 has GFI protection but do you know if the 2.4 has it?

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I also have the 2.4 and run power tools with no issue.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Well... if it's just a software change... can't they update your module? (Doubtful since it took 4 MONTHS for them to even fess up that they knew there was an issue with "early model" PowerBoosts.)

Also, do you happen to know which module or when the change happened (going from AE to AF)? It'd be nice to figure out a way to check the software version without having to go into the dealership.
Good questions. Apparently a dealer can update the software through the OBDII port. I wonder if you could check the software level that way too.

Just a note, last time this dealership tried to update software on my truck the truck ended up with a dead dashboard and they had to keep the truck for 8 days until they could get the update to complete. I never thought you could 'brick' an F-150, but apparently you can. This same dealership also didn't tighten the battery cables back on properly either and I got new trouble codes that came out of that experience too. So, it's not without its risks to get this updated, but I'll let you know if this update fixes the problem.

Sponsored

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
No sir. I have only run lights up until yesterday and Tuesday. typically, I plug an appliance into the tailgate and press the green 'on' button in the tail gate. I'll also press the button on the dash board above the center screen. There is a small button, first one from the left, that has a power cord logo. I press that and power is on. However, that button is above the center screen at the top of the dash. I have not turned on the generator from the center screen - but maybe that is it. I will check this afternoon. If that solves it, I will absolutely post an update.
If u did not turn on generator mode you get 400 watss ..thats it . Gen mode allows up to 3200 on each bank but if using 240 input that draws from both to get 7200. Honestly i had plenty of issues until april 2022 w my PB bought November 1 2021 but since april works well . My peak draw has been 6800 watts for a n hour or so .

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Gen mode allows up to 3200 on each bank but if using 240 input that draws from both to get 7200.
7.2kW is rated to 3600 watts per leg, but will do at least 3750 sustained

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
And also, the 20 amp outlets can go above 20 amps, as shown in this video. 20 amps at 120v would top out at 2400 watts normally, and this is above that:

I have a statement from Ford that says the following in relationship to the 20 amp circuit as well:
" The 120 V outlets are 20 A capable and can output 130% of rated current for up to 2 seconds "

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
I trip too with circ saw. I’ll post a pic of mine.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
And also, the 20 amp outlets can go above 20 amps, as shown in this video. 20 amps at 120v would top out at 2400 watts normally, and this is above that:

I have a statement from Ford that says the following in relationship to the 20 amp circuit as well:
" The 120 V outlets are 20 A capable and can output 130% of rated current for up to 2 seconds "
I'd bet that the truck is measuring resistance of the circuit and on start the saw's demand (resistance) is well outside of spec. I'd bet it trips AFI breakers as well.

For reference, this saw doesn't trip it and it will run it w/ out the motor running. I'll often use the truck over getting a long cord for doing things outside. It's just much more convenient.

Ford F-150 7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw 1666366543810

Furthermore in the vid it appears the saw is connected to what is called a "13 amp cord", further increasing the resistance the truck sees. A way to test such is to take a 20ga wire or smaller creating a dead short and flip a switch or breaker to see if it instantly kills it. If so, it's highly sensitive like a UPS unit and it's looking at every possible variable.

I saw something like this on a large UPS unit -- a FNG decided to check the voltage of a UPS unit with a meter configured in current and it'd instantly trip. Didn't harm the meter, just immediately shut down. The only conclusion I could see is that the unit saw a resistance value outside of what it assumed would have been a device-killing load and just shut off as a means of protecting itself.

Last edited:

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)

RedDragon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I regularly run a Rigid 10" table saw off my 7.2, Engine on, Generator mode, engine cycles on/off as needed to charge the battery, no issues so far.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
I'd bet that the truck is measuring resistance of the circuit and on start the saw's demand (resistance) is well outside of spec. I'd bet it trips AFI breakers as well.

For reference, this saw doesn't trip it and it will run it w/ out the motor running. I'll often use the truck over getting a long cord for doing things outside. It's just much more convenient.

1666366543810.png

Furthermore in the vid it appears the saw is connected to what is called a "13 amp cord", further increasing the resistance the truck sees. A way to test such is to take a 20ga wire or smaller creating a dead short and flip a switch or breaker to see if it instantly kills it. If so, it's highly sensitive like a UPS unit and it's looking at every possible variable.

I saw something like this on a large UPS unit -- a FNG decided to check the voltage of a UPS unit with a meter configured in current and it'd instantly trip. Didn't harm the meter, just immediately shut down. The only conclusion I could see is that the unit saw a resistance value outside of what it assumed would have been a device-killing load and just shut off as a means of protecting itself.
You're proposed test is very interesting, thank you. We're on the same page too, because what I've been able to show Ford on the two videos I recorded for them is:
1. The saw runs fine on a normal 13 amp cord on a 15 amp outlet.
2. The first video I sent them (the one linked above) shows the saw is tripping once 16-17 amp are requested. They said the inrush current was too much, but that isn't the case because the saw isn't requesting more than 20 amps.
3. In fact, it's the speed at which the inrush current is requested. That DCACA unit with the AF level software is supposed to handled inrush current better.

I'll know more after I get the AF software installed.
If the AF software resolves the problem of inrush sensitivity, then it makes sense why people with newer Powerboost trucks may not be complaining. It's hard to know from my perspective if that is really true, but I've seen some forum posts of people saying they seem to be running fine. It also lines up with what Ford is telling me, which is that they updated this software on newer trucks and it's been in production for a while for this specific issue.

I'll let you know. Should send my truck in next week sometime, just waiting on the dealer's availability.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
I have a Sep 21 built and never had any problems with my 7.2KW. I've used table saw, skill saw, 12" mitre saw without any issues. What would be interesting is, the ones with the problem if they could try their tools on a different Powerboost to see if the problem follow. If I'm not wrong the circuits at the back should be able to handle 30A at 120V.
Sponsored