7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Did you try changing the settings on the unit? The ramp time, current curve, etc are all programmable. Maybe ramp it by 1 second instead of 2? Mine has been working flawlessly.
Ok. I am an idiot. I didn't know you can program it, but I got it right before I had to leave town, so I only had a few minutes with it. When I get back, I'll look at it. Thank you so much for the followup. Ever grateful!
Sponsored

PowerBoostXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 XLT >2010 XLT… 2021 XLT 302 Powerboost?
Sounds like a job for an “120v AC soft starter”. One would think Ford would have thought so before advertising. I wonder if they used a 13A saw during the marketing.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Since my dealer was no help, I figured I'd experiment myself. I bought this soft starter, and low and behold, it fixed my problem! They offer a few models, but I figured the 20 amp 120V would fit my needs since the 240V model was sold out. You can even program it to ramp anywhere from half a second to 7 seconds. Plus it's made in the USA, which is a big plus to me.
Screenshot_20210512-175323_Chrome.jpg
20210512_175735.jpg
I purchased this unit - the more expensive 20 amp version - and returned it. It didn't say in the description but the card you are holding that was in the package said it will not work with air conditioners. Which was the whole point of my purchase so I returned it.

I found that turning the cold setting of my Dometic 15k BTU to 75% and not 100% helps keep its power draw in check. My PB seems to power my trailer with its AC, microwave, Keurig, lights, house battery trickle charger, motorcycle battery trickle charger etc. with no problems. I also draw on the other bank at the same time to run motorcycle tire warmers and have no issues so far.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I purchased this unit - the more expensive 20 amp version - and returned it. It didn't say in the description but the card you are holding that was in the package said it will not work with air conditioners. Which was the whole point of my purchase so I returned it.

I found that turning the cold setting of my Dometic 15k BTU to 75% and not 100% helps keep its power draw in check. My PB seems to power my trailer with its AC, microwave, Keurig, lights, house battery trickle charger, motorcycle battery trickle charger etc. with no problems. I also draw on the other bank at the same time to run motorcycle tire warmers and have no issues so far.
On Amazon it DOES say (perhaps they just added it due to returns/complaint) specifically it will NOT work with A/C:

"-This product model is not compatible with air compressors, A/C units, or dehumidifiers."

However, there are plenty of softstart RV air-conditioner capable devices (Amazon pulls up 20+). They are more expensive ($300+) but are used by many, many RVers. If you ever want to go that route.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
On Amazon it DOES say (perhaps they just added it due to returns/complaint) specifically it will NOT work with A/C:

"-This product model is not compatible with air compressors, A/C units, or dehumidifiers."

However, there are plenty of softstart RV air-conditioner capable devices (Amazon pulls up 20+). They are more expensive ($300+) but are used by many, many RVers. If you ever want to go that route.
That could be it, I am glad they added it. Yes, those softstart systems came up on my search, they need to be wired into the AC unit itself and not the outlet.

I haven't had the AC trip again once I started turning down the temp demand sensor to 75%. If I find that it trips in future I will re-investigate a soft start system, hoping I dodged that bullet.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't believe that the Pro Power 72KW system is underperforming. It MAY be set a little conservative to protect itself, but that might be a good thing in the long run.

Modern life has the average consumer pretty spoiled with expectations when we plug stuff in to a power receptacle. :)

I suspect that I will need to know more about the products I buy now if my intention is to use it in the middle of nowhere with nothing more than my magical Powerboost at my disposal?

JerseyBoy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost 7.2kW
Occupation
Sales
I had the same problem with the bed 120V outlets so I tried the interior outlets. I was using a Dewalt Miter saw rated at 15 amps. It momentarily started and then power was cut off from the 120V bed outlets. I noticed that the 20 amp rating in the bed was associated with two outlets so I guessed each outlet might be limited to 10 amps. I then plugged the saw into one of the interior outlets. It was a single outlet with a 20 amp rating. Guess what, it worked like a charm. This is something I intend to address with the Ford dealer.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I had the same problem with the bed 120V outlets so I tried the interior outlets. I was using a Dewalt Miter saw rated at 15 amps. It momentarily started and then power was cut off from the 120V bed outlets. I noticed that the 20 amp rating in the bed was associated with two outlets so I guessed each outlet might be limited to 10 amps. I then plugged the saw into one of the interior outlets. It was a single outlet with a 20 amp rating. Guess what, it worked like a charm. This is something I intend to address with the Ford dealer.
Since my truck only has the 2.4 Kw inverter, it has both of the interior 120 v plugs with the 20 amp rating. My thinking is that these plugs only use the power inverter under the passenger rear back seat, which would be rated at 400 watts. I can’t see these plugs running a saw.

Could anyone elaborate on this to see if it’s possible to run something with a 1000 watt draw on these plugs.

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Since my truck only has the 2.4 Kw inverter, it has both of the interior 120 v plugs with the 20 amp rating. My thinking is that these plugs only use the power inverter under the passenger rear back seat, which would be rated at 400 watts. I can’t see these plugs running a saw.

Could anyone elaborate on this to see if it’s possible to run something with a 1000 watt draw on these plugs.
technically,120v x 10amps can handle 1200 watts, but it would make more sense if it was 20amp total in the system . Not 10 amp each plug.

It’s not the constant current the appliance draws that’s usually the issue. It’s the spike at the initial turning on of the device that can spike up to 6000 watts which would be way more than what the 120v x 20amp inverter can handle, which is 2400. It may be able to handle up to 3200 but for a second unless it drops back to 2400 or below.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
technically,120v x 10amps can handle 1200 watts, but it would make more sense if it was 20amp total in the system . Not 10 amp each plug.

It’s not the constant current the appliance draws that’s usually the issue. It’s the spike at the initial turning on of the device that can spike up to 6000 watts which would be way more than what the 120v x 20amp inverter can handle, which is 2400. It may be able to handle up to 3200 but for a second unless it drops back to 2400 or below.
Thanks that is understood and you provided a very clear explanation. It seems I did not clearly pose my question. My in cab outlets show 20 amp on the plug covers. Are these outlets capable of running 2400 watts single outlet running or 400 watts as provided by the power inverter box under the rear seat, similar to what I had in the 18 lariat.

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Thanks that is understood and you provided a very clear explanation. It seems I did not clearly pose my question. My in cab outlets show 20 amp on the plug covers. Are these outlets capable of running 2400 watts single outlet running or 400 watts as provided by the power inverter box under the rear seat, similar to what I had in the 18 lariat.
The way I saw on the videos it stated that the rating on the interior plugs goes from 400 watts to 2400 when the generator is turned on

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So it seems like the entire system is 2.4kw so even if one plug says 20amps it doesn’t mean both outlets can run 20 amps at the same time. Both plugs in the bed should run two devices up to 20amps total.

You may have a separate smaller inverter under your seat. The outlets in my vehicle can only do 400 watts with the small inverter under the seat and it says 400 watts on the cap. Now. I actually can’t pull 400 watts even though it’s rated for that because I have phones charging and such which takes away from the power. And even when I didn’t, the power fluctuates significantly and it’s not safe for sensitive electronics so I don’t use it unless absolutely necessary. I’m disappointed at the poor power quality of the smaller inverter but not surprised. I don’t want the 7.2kw because the 36 gallon tank is more valuable to me. I carry around my battery generator instead.

So you can pull 2400 watts out of the truck bed most likely but there are limitations with the inverter and initial surge. If two appliances are hooked up, the inverter could freak out even if around 2400 watts. Depends on the equipment and spikes if you are going off and on like a circular saw.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So I realize this thread is a little dated, but I tested it my ProPower today will doing trim work on our front porch. I used both a 10" portable table saw and 12" miter saw, both Ridgid. Didn't have any issues using either one, though I didn't try to use them at the same time. I'm sure though that if they were on separate legs, it wouldn't have been an issue. Both saws do have a soft start on them, so that avoids the big inrush when they're turned on. I didn't get any shots of the power usage while they were on, maybe next time.

AverageGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Yep, I think this says it here (from the article): “Inrush current can be 4 to 10 times greater than the normal running current, depending on the type of motor.”

They also go on to explain why a household circuit/breaker can handle that (momentary) high current.

However the pro power system uses an electronic inverter that has electronic protection which is much faster to respond to the high current inrush (likely sensing it as a short) and shuts down as a protective measure.

Still, given this info I would expect the 2kw system to trip for a saw but I would think that the 7.2kw system could handle it. Maybe it’s not a single 7kw inverter but rather two 3.6kw inverters (either internally or externally).
This is 100% correct. I have put WAY too much time on this issue as I have a Dewalt miter saw and a 2021 Powerboost and the 7.2kw system is unable to run this saw.

I've had a case open with Ford directly for the last 4 months and they have confirmed the following information:

1. " The 120 V outlets are 20 A capable and can output 130% of rated current for up to 2 seconds – looking at the video it looks like overcurrent "
  2. There is an DCACA module also called an OBGI that converts high voltage DC to high voltage AC. After the initial Powerboost models were developed (which is the one I own), Ford came out with a new software for this module, moving it from software level AE to AF. Ford says that the AF level has "better starting capability for low impedance loads (like a miter saw) and was released shortly after the customer's vehicle was built".

I believe this is true because I tested it. In fact, if you want more info, there are two guides that Ford puts out that draw attention to this module:
The modifier's guide
The emergency response guide

Here's a video that shows Pro Power simply doesn't do what it says it does. It shows that I can exceed 20 amps on the circuit if I ramp it up slowly. The technique I used to test is interesting.

Here's a video that shows 300 feet of 12 gauge of wire (about 50 pounds of it) makes my saw work.

I can't believe Ford would expect me to carry 300 feet of wire around to get my saw to work. But, my case escalation manager contact at Ford is shutting my case down. Her stated reason is that she can't remember which engineer she was speaking with. And the last comment from that engineer when reviewing my videos was the following:
  • "We will need to investigate the load characteristics further to better understand why it trips over current protection"

That is a wacko response from Ford. I'm disappointed I paid extra for this feature. And I have to say, it's so amazingly difficult to get issues resolved with Ford. I will have a half of a year of effort on this soon. And the dealerships are sooooo difficult to work with.
Sponsored

Last edited: