First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Limited
Occupation
contractor
I have a Limited which came standard with Power Boost and the 7.2kw generator.

I’m reaching out to this forum as I’m hopeful someone might have some ideas for me. I am having an issue with the 7.2KW Pro Power on Board generator.

I am under the impression that the tailgate receptacles (110v) should be able to power handheld power tools. However, I have a Ridgid 10” 15amp Miter saw and every time I plug it in and attempt to start the saw it shuts-off the generator. It does NOT trip the circuit breaker, but it shuts off power to the receptacle. My Saw works as expected on house power.

To troubleshoot, I plugged in a regular Dewalt 15A circular saw, and the Circular saw also shut-off power to the receptacles. Not sure this is important, but both saws would begin to fire up, the blades would spin for a fraction of a second, and then shut off.

Additionally, and to troubleshoot further, I purchased a 240v/35a trailer adapter that converted the 240v/35A outlet to four 20A/120V receptacles. When the saws were connected to the trailer adapter (purchased brand new from Camping World), both saws again shut off power to the receptacles. To be clear, the saws were never connected at the same time. These were 2 independent tests.

I have read through this forum and the most I can find is information about resetting tripped circuit breakers. However, the circuit breakers are not “tripping”. before each attempt to power my saw, i plugged in a light bulb to make sure they had power. The generator is simply being tuned-off. There is a little orange light under neath the green power button in the tailgate. when power is on, the light is a solid orange, when it 'shuts-off' it flashes orange.

If anyone in this forum has any guidance, thoughts, ideas or suggestions they are greatly appreciated....
Sponsored

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Limited which came standard with Power Boost and the 7.2kw generator.

I’m reaching out to this forum as I’m hopeful someone might have some ideas for me. I am having an issue with the 7.2KW Pro Power on Board generator.

I am under the impression that the tailgate receptacles (110v) should be able to power handheld power tools. However, I have a Ridgid 10” 15amp Miter saw and every time I plug it in and attempt to start the saw it shuts-off the generator. It does NOT trip the circuit breaker, but it shuts off power to the receptacle. My Saw works as expected on house power.

To troubleshoot, I plugged in a regular Dewalt 15A circular saw, and the Circular saw also shut-off power to the receptacles. Not sure this is important, but both saws would begin to fire up, the blades would spin for a fraction of a second, and then shut off.

Additionally, and to troubleshoot further, I purchased a 240v/35a trailer adapter that converted the 240v/35A outlet to four 20A/120V receptacles. When the saws were connected to the trailer adapter (purchased brand new from Camping World), both saws again shut off power to the receptacles. To be clear, the saws were never connected at the same time. These were 2 independent tests.

I have read through this forum and the most I can find is information about resetting tripped circuit breakers. However, the circuit breakers are not “tripping”. before each attempt to power my saw, i plugged in a light bulb to make sure they had power. The generator is simply being tuned-off. There is a little orange light under neath the green power button in the tailgate. when power is on, the light is a solid orange, when it 'shuts-off' it flashes orange.

If anyone in this forum has any guidance, thoughts, ideas or suggestions they are greatly appreciated....
Did you turn ON the generator mode on the center screen? maybe you are just getting 200W

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
What is the starting current spec for the saws? That Can be a high number sometimes, and maybe the generator is more conservative than a home circuit breaker on allowing momentary current surges.

OP
OP

150LTD

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Limited
Occupation
contractor
Did you turn ON the generator mode on the center screen? maybe you are just getting 200W
No sir. I have only run lights up until yesterday and Tuesday. typically, I plug an appliance into the tailgate and press the green 'on' button in the tail gate. I'll also press the button on the dash board above the center screen. There is a small button, first one from the left, that has a power cord logo. I press that and power is on. However, that button is above the center screen at the top of the dash. I have not turned on the generator from the center screen - but maybe that is it. I will check this afternoon. If that solves it, I will absolutely post an update.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Patrick, also try a load between light (which is about 1 amp) and your circular saw. Get a handheld hair dryer, put it on low or no heat. Then step up the heat (most hair dryers on full heat can pull over 10 amps). Watch the Power Gen screen on Sync 4 while doing this (either use extension cord or have another person help).

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I really think all of those buttons do the same thing. I'll be surprised.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Very interested in this thread. I also think all the "ON" button options do the same function.

One more question for the OP: When you tried the saws, were all attempts while the engine was not running or were there attempts while the engine was running as well? I know we don't really get to pick and choose when it kicks on but I'm curious if it makes a difference.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I thought I saw in a video demo that the regular on buttons just turn on the standard power but generator mode had to be activated through the large screen for full power. Also could swear that Ford advertising showed a circular saw (or miter saw - basically the same) being used, but all that could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Startup of a higher current motor is often much higher than running current but also most generators can tolerate a momentary peak load significantly higher than their continuous load. Interested to hear what you find out. Maybe there is a defect?

Edit: page 18 of fords F150 pamphlet/magazine shows a large miter saw in use plugged into pro power so it definitely should work.

Ford F-150 7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw image

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I thought I saw in a video demo that the regular on buttons just turn on the standard power but generator mode had to be activated through the large screen for full power. Also could swear that Ford advertising showed a circular saw (or miter saw - basically the same) being used, but all that could just be my memory playing tricks on me.
Nah, a few times last weekend I opened my driver door and put my hand on the brake and pushed the start button, truck is now "started" and ready to drive. Then I went to the truck bed and pushed the green button to start propower, and ran my keurig to make coffee. The keurig showed 1300W during the heat stage according to my Fordpass app, so it definitely was not in the basic 200W or 400W mode.

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport Powerboost
I had a similar issue with a table saw except that it only happened occasionally as I was working on a job. Sometimes it would start up & run just fine, other times it would turn the generator off completely and I would have to restart. Its a very old saw with less than 15 amps operating current so I assumed it was just the high starting current with old motor bearings in the saw. I have had no issues with my (newer) circular saw or any other device I have plugged in. Trying to convonve my wife it means I have to upgrade to a new table saw :)

Sponsored

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
Same issue here! I have just the 2.4 kw version. Screen notices I plugged something in and asks if i want to give the outlet power.
it wont power a simple lightbulb

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Just tested with this saw and zero issue.

Started truck and used green button in back.
Ford F-150 7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw IMG_20210422_201928585

Engine just shut of while taking the picture. Still runs fine.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
That is really surprising that the startup surge of a circular saw is too much. I tested both my Coleman mach A/C's while I had my trailer connected and they both started fine (I didn't test them simultaneously).

Still curious for the original poster, if it still dies if the engine was running already when the saw is started.

OP
OP

150LTD

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Limited
Occupation
contractor
Thank you all for responding. Here’s my update and some follow up for all those interested and anyone else who may stumble across this thread.

tonight I ran every appliance I could find in my garage. A 6gal Dewalt air compressor, 5HP shop Vac, Ridgid Pad sander, a shop fan, Black Flag Bug Zapper, my wife’s hair dryer, and an old school halogen work light. All at the same. Had no issues whatsoever.
I tried varying the receptacles (A vs B). I even mixed up the ‘start’ order to see if the initial draw of power would Trip or ‘shut-off’ either of the circuits / generator.
I’m happy to report I could not trip my circuits. I got circuit A up to 2900 watts while B ran at 1300. I probably could have made them trip if I’d had a power strip.

My generator appears to work properly.

that being said, as soon as I plugged in my dewalt circular saw and pulled the trigger - Off went the generator. Again, it didn’t trip the circuits, just turned off the whole generator. Inside cabin circuits included.

to answer Daemonic3’s question, I waited to test with both the engine running, and with the engine off.
both times generator shutoff.

I’m afraid ‘greyhound’ might be correct, perhaps my Dewalt circular saw and Ridgid Miter saw are just too old. They’re both 15a saws but I do not know what their initial draw is. Nor do I remember how old they are. Photos of each are below.

I can also confirm that pressing the button at the top of the dash is exactly the same as turning on the generator from the center screen.

I’ll run my neighbors saw this weekend and report back.
Ford F-150 7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw 6680D3A3-BD17-4186-96E8-87F841A1EF63
Ford F-150 7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw 6DC85129-495E-409A-9125-E6FAC3558B45
Ford F-150 7.2KW generator not able to handle a circular saw 429FF777-79C2-4719-8DDB-1D30B2CDE720

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Very disappointing!

I guess if you do end up buying a new saw retail, you can test it in the parking lot and return it 5 minutes later if it trips the truck lol

But seriously, very disappointing. That initial inrush must be massive on those things!
Sponsored