Sponsored

Wireless phone charger for Lariat and below models (under screen cubby)

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Decided to take to my 3d printer and make up something to be able to charge my phone in the location that the Platinum's have their wireless charger. I am just about done designing my first version, would like to see if anyone else would be interested in one so I may order some extra parts if needed.

A little about me, since you all are like who is this guy. I make and sell 3d printed items on eBay and etsy (all self designed and not taken from someone else). I have over 3000 positive feedback on ebay alone, and own a Powerboost and wanted this for myself. I know I may catch some flack for 3d printing as there is a lot of bad sellers out there doing it, but this is what I enjoy doing and I dont sell garbage.

The charger would have a triple charge coil setup to be able to charge your phone almost anywhere on the mat, would also have a rubber top layer to help keep your phone in place. I have also included the ability to power it with USB or power it with a 12v source.

10/1 Pictures added of the first working version. Yesss I have to clean my truck haha.

Ford F-150 Wireless phone charger for Lariat and below models (under screen cubby) 20221001_171201

Ford F-150 Wireless phone charger for Lariat and below models (under screen cubby) 20221001_171207

Ford F-150 Wireless phone charger for Lariat and below models (under screen cubby) 20221001_171339

Ford F-150 Wireless phone charger for Lariat and below models (under screen cubby) 20221001_171438
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Any pictures?
Hey Mike, apart from my solidworks model nothing yet. I am currently going through and checking my angles so it can be as form fitting as possible. I would probably have pictures of the actual thing in the morning.

Greyish pad is the rubber pad.

Ford F-150 Wireless phone charger for Lariat and below models (under screen cubby) Ford Charger

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
Does that port work for your charger? When I plugged a wireless charger disk into that port I got an error saying too high of current draw.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Does that port work for your charger? When I plugged a wireless charger disk into that port I got an error saying too high of current draw.
Interesting it worked for me with no issues, I have been using it since to see if all is good and it works how I want.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Looks very high quality! That location would never work for me though, even if I had OEM. I keep all sorts of stuff in there (garage openers for home and work, hand sanitizer, baseball cap etc). My phone goes in the slot in the console next to the cup holders.

OP
OP

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Looks very high quality! That location would never work for me though, even if I had OEM. I keep all sorts of stuff in there (garage openers for home and work, hand sanitizer, baseball cap etc). My phone goes in the slot in the console next to the cup holders.
Man do I love that slot myself for phone storage haha, That is where my phone is also, there and in the hole where the shifter folds into. This is mainly so i can charge up when I leave town, or emergency use.

Short story: I had my truck at the shop for a week, forgot that I had my garage door programed to it. They provided me a Platinum Lightning for my loaner, no big deal I have a wifi garage opener so ill just use that to get in and out (i dont carry house keys). a few days in It was like 12am, I was driving home and my phone died. I for the life of me couldnt figure out how I would get inside my house... Then I remembered there is a wireless charger in the lightning, although it charges slow it got me to 2% lol. Since that point I have been wanting one too.

That kids is how I got into my house.

Sjeagles

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT BAP Ordered
Occupation
Emergency Management
I would be interested in one possibly

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
Me too. Price is also a consideration

Sponsored

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
I'm interested also depending on price and if it could fast charge

OP
OP

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Me too. Price is also a consideration
I'm looking at 54.99 with free shipping.

I'm interested also depending on price and if it could fast charge
I'm looking at 54.99 with free shipping. It cant compete with wired fast charging that's for sure. IIRC Iphone is a max of 10w and Samsung is 15w. I am Samsung and Version 1 is 2.5ish hours from almost dead (still testing this).

I have some new components arriving today so Ill see if that is any better. My main goal is a positive to steady charge when using AA with Nav.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I've just routed a USBC cable to the phone slot area next to the shifter. The problem with wireless charging is that it uses induction coils, and those naturally generate heat. Combine that with say, fast charging and well you've got even more heat. If you're using android auto / carplay wireless, well you're generating even more heat. Have a phone case? You're insulating it.

Additionally, last I checked android auto at least isn't pulling data from the truck's wifi. It's either or. Thus wired connection allows for faster charging, less heat, and pull data from the truck.

I expect android auto to fix the data issue on wireless -- it did function at one point after all.

Instead of going for the factory's route, take a close look at the pocket itself, there are 2 notches on it to accept an accessory. Might consider adjusting the design to present the phone more vs burying it in the deep pocket.

OP
OP

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
I've just routed a USBC cable to the phone slot area next to the shifter. The problem with wireless charging is that it uses induction coils, and those naturally generate heat. Combine that with say, fast charging and well you've got even more heat. If you're using android auto / carplay wireless, well you're generating even more heat. Have a phone case? You're insulating it.

Additionally, last I checked android auto at least isn't pulling data from the truck's wifi. It's either or. Thus wired connection allows for faster charging, less heat, and pull data from the truck.

I expect android auto to fix the data issue on wireless -- it did function at one point after all.

Instead of going for the factory's route, take a close look at the pocket itself, there are 2 notches on it to accept an accessory. Might consider adjusting the design to present the phone more vs burying it in the deep pocket.
I personally do not like the wires in the truck and that's why I chose wireless charging. I anticipate the phone to get warm depending on what I am doing with it while driving, I mainly listen to music through it so I would think it would do ok.

The added benefit is charging someone else's device without having to have a cord for them as well is a bonus for me. or charging my Galaxy buds without needing a cord for them and my phone...First world problems I know:ROFLMAO:

I do Plan on making a smaller version for the "dovetail" also.

Thank you for giving me some feedback.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The added benefit is charging someone else's device without having to have a cord for them as well is a bonus for me. or charging my Galaxy buds without needing a cord for them and my phone...
Your phone can charge other devices already.
truck > cord > your phone > other wireless device ;)

I have a wireless charger in another vehicle w/ wireless andAuto and it heats up considerably more than sitting in the phone slot next to shifter w/ the 5v-3a coming from the USB C port in that same pocket.

If it was micro or mini USB I'd cuss it, but since C is uni directional it's not a big deal.

What sucks the most is having to use the front under-dash USB ports for wired connections vs being able to use an 18" cord from within the center console. Need to rig it up so that cord run is much easier.

Don't get me wrong, wireless has its places, but I default to plugged in communication vs wireless where possible.
Sponsored