Road/wind noise

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
Anyone else pretty disappointed at the amount of road noise present inside the cab? Not only that but If I crack my window, there is an extremely loud whistle that I've never experienced in any other vehicle. I plan on tearing the seats and flooring out this weekend and loading up the cab with as much deadening material as possible to see if that will quiet things down.
Sponsored

ptr0687

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I came from a 2 door Wrangler so the lack of noise in my F-150 is a damned miracle. The only thing I noticed yesterday driving on the turnpike was the tonneau cover flapping around a bit from the wind and truck speed. If I hammer on the gas to pass someone the Coyote comes to life and puts a big-ass smile on my face. I have a screw lariat.

The one thing I do notice is when coming to a stop or idling say at like a drive-through window, there is a high pitched whine coming from the engine. I have a 5.0 Coyote but from what I read its normal so I dont know.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Anyone else pretty disappointed at the amount of road noise present inside the cab? Not only that but If I crack my window, there is an extremely loud whistle that I've never experienced in any other vehicle. I plan on tearing the seats and flooring out this weekend and loading up the cab with as much deadening material as possible to see if that will quiet things down.
I have minimal road noise except a little wind noise from the outside mirrors. I'm very impressed with the quietness in the cab.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I come from a long line of square body Chevy
An old Dodge
98 k1500 Chev for the last ten years
and an 05 Ranger that I sold immediately before picking up the new F150.

This is by far the quietest pickup I’ve been in with windows up.
The 79 Chev C10 and the 98 k1500 are by far the best riding of the bunch.
(79 2wd a bit better than the 98 4x4) <<<<both heavy duty suspension trucks.
Ranger and 98 k1500 quite a bit more nimble than the rest.

should be noted that the F150 is the first automatic trans equipped truck I have ever owned.

As a general rule, if the truck is moving with me in it, there is a window down at least halfway with no regard to outside temps.

This thing is nearly dead quiet even with the window down a few inches.
Probably the thing I like the most about this truck—-quiet.

Not to interested in hearing obnoxious wind roar or throaty exhaust notes.
even one of my hot rods is so quiet you need to be within ten feet to hear it running. ( not the Ranchero-that tiny car is downright bossy, even at idle)

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
No wind noise here with EGR slim line in channel window visors (all windows are not all the up due to visors) installed.

Sponsored

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
you are not alone. I traded my 18 limited to 21 limited. Road noise is noticeable. I can even hear wind noise. Doors are completely aligned , I will call that a design flaw. Overall for 82k truck did not impress me. Quality control is a big issue with current production at ford plants.

BTW I compare road noise with other vehicles I have, including ram

so far I have a busted speaker, bubbled paint, very scratched up center stack trim. ?

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
I feel the 21 may be noisier on the highway than my 17.
Doors needs aligning tho so once that's done....we will see

OP
OP
CarbonizedRCSB

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well that didn't take very long, I'm going to start throwing down some Kilmat 80 and then 4mm closed cell foam over the top. Hopefully that will be enough to please my ears ?

Ford F-150 Road/wind noise IMG_1578.JPG

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
My Lariat is very quiet.

ptr0687

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Well that didn't take very long, I'm going to start throwing down some Kilmat 80 and then 4mm closed cell foam over the top. Hopefully that will be enough to please my ears ?

IMG_1578.JPG
may as well toss in a bass cannon or something fun since you got her naked. :)

Sponsored

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel

IMG_1578.JPG
I have seen some sound deadening foil sheet on internet, post some pics and what you used, I will see as spring/summer project if this this getting in my nerves.

OP
OP
CarbonizedRCSB

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have seen some sound deadening foil sheet on internet, post some pics and what you used, I will see as spring/summer project if this this getting in my nerves.
I only have one pic from the install, The Kilmat is pretty easy to work with however the Siless liner comes on a roll, is extremely sticky and once its down...it is down! I used Kilmat 80mil and then went over the top with Siless 157mil pe foam liner, bought both from Amazon. It did make a difference but it's not like night and day and maybe it would be a more noticeable difference in a super/crew cab?‍♀

Ford F-150 Road/wind noise IMG_1579.JPG

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
These are body-on-frame trucks with double-pane glass. They should be dead quiet. Mine is. One thing that makes a difference though is wheel and tire options. I have 20” Lariat wheels. The OEM Pirellis were completely quiet. I replaced them with Yokohama Geolandars and those are only very slightly noisier. 22” wheels and tires will always be rougher and louder. I used to have a Benz S-Class that had big AMG wheels and that car was loud inside, between those wheels and tires, and the unibody construction. This truck is *far* quieter.

Last edited:

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Maybe the amount of sound insulation depends on the trim level? My Platinum is very quiet inside - far quieter than the 2012 Lincoln Navigator I owned previously.
Sponsored