Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
And just an FYI. If you drive in slippery mode, you will get worse MPG always because it always puts power to all 4 tires when accelerating, and does not use regenerative braking when applying brakes.

Look at the power distribution screen, and you will see what I mean vs Normal or Eco. And then look at the hybrid meter on the cluster separately, to see there is no regen.
Sponsored

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
That's amazing mileage. I've never reached that level. But as I looked closer, you went 40 miles in 47 minutes, for an average of 51 MPH. So at that speed, and in Miami, where there are no hills, and with 2.9 mi electric, if there is not a lot of stop and go, it makes sense.
Trip included 4 or 5 miles of side streets to get to Hyw. once on the Hyw. speed was 65mph, and yes it is flat here.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
OK you guys want to know what makes the biggest difference to staying in EV mode for longer? AC. I usually have my AC at 64 or 65, but yesterday, it was set to 72 and immediately noticed the car staying in EV mode for twice as long. This is encouraging news for the winter, though winter blend gas sucks and will offset any gains.

Overall, I consistently get 24-25 around town and 24+ on the highway if I cruise at 65 mph. 6700 miles on truck now so fully broken in. Running 285x70x20 KO2s so even with the heavy tires, the mpg is phenomenal.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Nice.
If people aren’t seeing 24 mph when actively trying to gain mpg on their powerboost, then there is something wrong with your truck or you just don’t fully understand how a hybrid helps you get better MPG, and so you are driving it wrong (In the voice of Steve Jobs).

Eco always gets me better MPG, and I’ve owned my truck for 26k miles so far. But it took me 5000 Mike’s to figure out how to actually get good MPG.

There are queues that the computer waits on, to kill the motor. After a while you determine that the brake petal press 2 times kills the ICE, so you can learn how to get extra MPG.

And sometimes, you reset the trip meter when the battery is topped off, and so you will inevitably get super MPG if you are only driving 45 MPH for 30 miles. It happens.

Next time, you might get 19 MPG, but you have to look at the hybrid Truck MPG based on multiple engine cycles and trips. And not just one single trip.

I can average 24 all day long, in nearly any condition possible, as long as I drive more than 15 miles every cold start. And baby it while the engine is cold.

just saying. It’s a big HP motor, so it’s going to drink a lot when it wakes up in the AM, and not that many Powerboost owners have figured that out yet.
You live in a primo spot for great battery performance. I've been getting it over the last couple of months with the Michigan summer weather. Y'all come up here in the fall, winter, spring and you won't get those super mpg #'s. My truck would never reach optimal operating temps in my errands. Lucky to see 17-18 in the winter. I live in an area that I don't need to drive 5 miles to reach any restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I want to use so I don't even get hot air blowing unless I let it sit and idle in the driveway for 5 minutes.
In other words, it doesn't mean you don't know how to drive a Powerboost. Temperature plays a huge part.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
OK you guys want to know what makes the biggest difference to staying in EV mode for longer? AC. I usually have my AC at 64 or 65, but yesterday, it was set to 72 and immediately noticed the car staying in EV mode for twice as long. This is encouraging news for the winter, though winter blend gas sucks and will offset any gains.

Overall, I consistently get 24-25 around town and 24+ on the highway if I cruise at 65 mph. 6700 miles on truck now so fully broken in. Running 285x70x20 KO2s so even with the heavy tires, the mpg is phenomenal.
The fan of the A/C and heat kills MPG in a hybrid and electric. The cold is terrible for it as well as my wife’s Fusion range drops in half during the winter.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Agree. It takes a long time for the hybrid battery to get warm and function at near 100% capacity.

I understand what you are talking about, and I have experienced my truck taking more than 30-40 mins to reach normal temp while the outside temp is close to 30 degrees.

But I didn’t really recall it making my MPGs be that terrible.

WillTheGreat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB
6400 miles on my XLT 2wd CC.

I have about 3000 miles on 91, and 3400ish on 87.
On 91, I have a 22.5mpg average
On 87, I have a 21.3mpg average

Also have to note that I live on a hill, a drive up that 2 miles stretch I get around 10-11mpg on the trip computer. A Prius Plug-In does not have enough juice to get me up hill on electric only. My Tesla Model 3 uses 700 watt/mile going up the same hill. So It's steep and long. Take it for what it's worth, my 20 Highlander Hybrid gets 30.9 mpg, my friend who lives about a quarter mile up hill gets around 32 for the lifetime of the car and it's the exact same model.

Towing is MPG is really hit and miss, depends on how aerodynamic your trailer is.

I have a 2,600lbs 185CFM Air Compressor, and I get around 18-20mpg on 15-20mile trips on the highway. My 7x12x4 dump trailer is like a brick, even though it's only 3.6k lbs empty, I get 11-12mpg...empty on the highways

The shocking part I guess is it doesn't really get all that much lower from there. I had a dump run that I lugged this thing almost 40 miles, total trailer weight at 8k lbs. My trip computer had 10.1mpg.

So long as the trailer is smaller than than the truck, the MPG doesn't take much of a hit from my experience. I've towed a flat bed trailer around 20 miles, and got around 17mpg.

For comparison sake, here are my MPGs for my past F150 and current F250

05 FX4 w/ 5.4l SC, 12.3mpg
13 XLT w/ 3.5 EB SC, 14.4mpg
16 F250 CC LB w/ 6.7l, 14mpg

Overall pretty happy with the Powerboost. It's not the MPG as advertised, but it's solid for what it is. There has been times where I've been stuck in traffic between Berkeley and San Francisco and I've gotten 26-30mpg. The biggest reason I got the PB is because I'm usually in traffic and I get stuck in idle a lot. The hybrid really made the most sense.

If MPG is the ultimate end goal, I borrowed a Sierra 1500 w/ the 3.0 duramax and drove it over 2k miles, I got 26.2mpg. However, at the end of the day it just felt underpowered. You felt the torque, but you weren't going anywhere fast. Tow rating left a lot to be desired too.

Also not recommending it, but I got lazy one day, and didn't want to get my F250. I lugged around 14k of concrete (trailer and concrete), said if the squat wasn't too bad, I'd just take it and do the dump run that day. I didn't realize the weight until I got on the scales at the recycling plant. 20,872 lbs total weight. Pulled it like it was nothing. Squat had the truck level. Lugged it around 8 miles at around 45mph in Mountain View, 9mpg.

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
21 Lariat PB with 23.6 mpg (ECO mode with ac running) in recent 600 miles (90% highway) trips.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Pondering if the Powerboost is worth the $10 per month increase from last the 3.5 eco in a lease for my situation. I drive under 7,500 miles per year and I’m in the cold Midwest. I do let it warm up 5-10 minutes. My wife’s Fusion Energi range cuts in half during winter…

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
"If people aren’t seeing 24 mph when actively trying to gain mpg on their powerboost, then there is something wrong with your truck or you just don’t fully understand how a hybrid helps you get better MPG, and so you are driving it wrong (In the voice of Steve Jobs)."

Agree. I've always watched my fuel usage and tried to improve it while still getting the same performance & miles from any vehicle I've driven. Kind of like a game. I easily get 2-3 mpg better than my wife in the same vehicles. Sometimes more depending on type of vehicle. There is a way to drive each one that needs to be learned to maximize it's potential.

"Eco always gets me better MPG, and I’ve owned my truck for 26k miles so far. But it took me 5000 Mike’s to figure out how to actually get good MPG."

Agree again. And I've tested this (unscientifically) with multiple fill-ups. Also 93 octane does improve overall mpg by around .5-.8 in my experience. This is a high compression engine so it can take advantage of it. But I still use 87 most of the time.

"There are queues that the computer waits on, to kill the motor. After a while you determine that the brake petal press 2 times kills the ICE, so you can learn how to get extra MPG."

I wish the hybrid coach was always displayed in a corner of the dash instead of just one page in the trip info screens. I like to see how far I can cruise while on battery only. Once you hit the RH bar the engine kicks on. So I tease it as long as possible, usually in residential areas where speeds are under 45-50mph.

"And sometimes, you reset the trip meter when the battery is topped off, and so you will inevitably get super MPG if you are only driving 45 MPH for 30 miles. It happens. Next time, you might get 19 MPG, but you have to look at the hybrid Truck MPG based on multiple engine cycles and trips. And not just one single trip."

Yep. I reset Trip 1 each fill-up to verify computer vs. actual calculated mpg. The 'Current' MPG bar graph can be independently reset as well but I do that at fill-up as well. Trip 2 is only reset at oil changes to monitor long term mpg. See below for my truck's mpg performance.

"I can average 24 all day long, in nearly any condition possible, as long as I drive more than 15 miles every cold start. And baby it while the engine is cold."

Every engine needs time to warm up to optimum efficiency. It takes about 10-12 miles to start seeing decent mpg in my truck.

"just saying. It’s a big HP motor, so it’s going to drink a lot when it wakes up in the AM, and not that many Powerboost owners have figured that out yet."

About my loaded XLT 302A Sport 4x4 mpg:
It is optioned out quite heavily so it's basically a Lariat minus leather and memory seats! It's the 7350lb GVWR package with 3.73 axle and 1604 max payload so that puts my truck GVW at 5746lbs. The lower that number, the better mpg you should get. Lariat, KR, Platinum, & Limited drivers will probably get less. STX or fleet probably more.
I drive almost 26 miles each way to work daily. About 20 of those on IH35. At my 1st oil change (5827 miles) I averaged 21.8 mpg. I got my PB on March 19th so some of that was cold weather, some break-in, but most likely, a couple weekend trips my wife took killed my mpg!! :eek: At least she told me she 'enjoyed' the drive... It took me a couple months to gain the overall mpg back. :rolleyes:
Since the oil change I've put 996 miles on it and my current overall is 22.7 mpg. So, a .9mpg improvement - or those two 'wife' trips skewed my previous results!
My driving style is 'comfortable' in the city. I roll on the throttle leaving a stop, do the speed limits in town, etc. But I tend to drive fast on rural roads and highways. 75-85 mph or so.
I have tested how speed correlates to mpg a few times and find that 65 is a sweet spot in this truck and will reward me with over 24mpg all the time. But I'm not capable of staying at 65 so... I get 22.7. I have no issues with this especially since this is a heavy 4x4 and this is about what I was getting in my 2018 STX Supercrew 2.7EB 2WD. I loved that little engine but love this one more.
I attached a couple pictures of two tests - yesterday morning, adaptive cruise set at 70mph, netted 25.4mpg for 25.7 miles, 2.7 of which were electric. Compare that to this morning set at 75mph on the identical drive netting 24.9mpg with 3.2 miles of electric. So .5mpg less but .5 miles more electric. Obviously traffic and stop light timing are not factored but the drive was pretty much the same both days and temperature was almost identical with no rain.

So, driving conservatively and at speed limit will probably get you close to the EPA ratings. Granted, that's the hard part with this beast of a truck! :cool:

Fuel efficiency is a team sport. The truck does it's part but we have to do ours.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? mpg (2)

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? mpg2 (2)

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Two items: One I am getting way more mpg then I expected. One trip see attached photo was small amount side streets and mostly highway. Truck has under 1,000 miles on it. Averaging approx. 21-22 on all miles traveled so far but on this one trip 27.1 I almost can't believe it. Question I have is does the PowerBoost in my Lariat with the 7.2 generator only use the electric motor when the RPM is set to "0" or does the electric motor assist when driving at highway speed?

Ford Dashboard MPG 08 19 21.jpg
I’m assuming you know, but looks like your rear diff is locked. Don’t want to drive around hard surfaces like that. (You would not be the first to accidentally do it, far from the first actually lol)

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Consistently around 18 MPG. Not a heavy or light foot, simply normal driving. I use 87 octane. Clearly I need to do something different.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Anyone park there’s outside during the winter? My garage is pretty narrow making it a tight fit with my wife’s Fusion Energi. I would warm it up but wondering how it handle it.

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Consistently around 18 MPG. Not a heavy or light foot, simply normal driving. I use 87 octane. Clearly I need to do something different.
If you figure out what to do, PLEASE let me know. It's killing me. :-(

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Hmmmmm. Honestly, I don't know how a properly performing Powerboost could get 18mpg. I can't even get much of a spread between driving FOR mpg VS driving completely ignoring mpg.
I'm at sea level and flat ground. And in the 3000 miles I've put on it so far, those miles are a mixture of every kind of conditions that a driver could experience.

At 18mpg you couldn't possibly be getting a decent percentage of EV miles, right? In normal commuting, varying from stop&go to cruising 45-55mph, I easily can get around 20% EV miles. And those are the biggest contribution to the 22-24mpg trips.
Sponsored