Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
My drive to work in the morning is 13-14 mi, and so far, I've been getting roughly ⅓-½ of that as fully electric. The engine has been up to temp everytime thus far (winter may be different), but the transmission is typically only getting to 150-160°. From longer trips, I think the transmission typically sits between 190-200°.
Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Ok. Something I feel is causing PB owners poor economy is cold crank short trips that are less than 13-15 miles.

Since it's obvious to cold start the engine, cats, and get the remaining drivtrain up to operation temp the system doesn’t cold start with 24 MPG.

I have tried this a couple times, and it looks like I have to drive easy 35-55 MPH for about 13+ miles, and only then will the truck maintain 24 MPG for the remainder of the trip. I’m driving 70 still and it says 24.3 MPG @ 32.6 miles.

I took the picture below just after the meter reach to 24 miles per gallon, Which was around 13 miles. I admit, I did push the brake pedal a couple times to kill The ICE, and then coast in electric mode for a greater electric miles. I’m in Pensacola - GB area so the topography doesn't change much, so it’s pretty flat.

If you go easy the first 15 miles of your trip, then you will likely get better MPG in the powerboost.

96D742AF-A50A-4984-BE68-9B648DC85992.jpeg
I agree. I have a lot of short trips 1 to 10 miles. Most of the time I am in the teens on those trips. I've had 4 trips of 100-150 miles and the lowest MPG on them is 22.5 the best 26. Overall MPG since I got it is just over 22mpg with about 1100 miles on it.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
704.5 Miles to 1 Full Tank of 30.525 Gallons = 23.08 MPG Real Math MPG!!!!

Ok, I think I may have updated news with regard to Powerboost MPG after the Power Up 1.6.0 Update. I thought something may have changed, because it seemed the MPG readings changed after the update. They just seemed slightly different than the other 26,000 miles I’ve driven, so I put it to the test :)

The below pictures are from the trip meter for my most recent tank of 87 octane Walmart - Murphy gasoline.

This is as real world driving as I think I can get because it was 32% city (Gulf Breeze, Pensacola, Mobile), 32% highway (Gulf Breeze, Mary Esther, Pensacola, 32% interstate (Pensacola to Mobile several times) and 4% parked with ignition on maintaining 72-74 AC temp. Nearly all acceleration and deceleration was performed with the adaptive cruise and in ECO mode.

City = 20 - 35 MPH
Highway = 45 - 55 MPH
Interstate = 60 - 75 MPH (driving with traffic, with adaptive cruise set, not to exceed the posted speed limit).

When I filled up last, I topped the tank off until I couldn’t trickle any more without burping some out on the ground. (Not that sissy one click stuff) Then on the most recent fill up, I shook the truck and made sure to fill it with as much as possible for an accurate full tank to full tank reading.

My results blew me away. Not only did the truck reach 700 miles with 1 tank (at 0 miles to empty no less), it also achieved 23.08 Miles Per GALLON!!! ON PAPER, which is the same as the instrument cluster reading of 23.0 MPG.

This is real math calculations now matching the instrument cluster calculation! My truck has always been off by .5 MPG in Ford’s Favor, not mine. The fact that it’s getting 700 miles per tank now should be enough, but the fact that the MPG calculations are corrected too is just crazy!!!

Did Ford correct the fuel MPG calculations and make these trucks more efficient at the same time in the last update??

720 DTE showing after re-fueling complete (I drove 5 miles on 0 miles to empty):
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 4757D34C-44B4-49C8-B9E9-31BD59E6E745

Picture before DTE Reached 0 Miles to Empty:
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 92506C9F-0002-4D0D-83BD-451E6CDA05FD

Fuel Consumed Over 704.5 Miles:
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? F5EEFF7F-3989-40F1-BC47-2D0907B01C90

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Anecdotally, what I’ve noticed recently is that if i try to drive locally with too light of a foot, it decreases mileage. If I drive normally though not hard, my mileage is better.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Anecdotally, what I’ve noticed recently is that if i try to drive locally with too light of a foot, it decreases mileage. If I drive normally though not hard, my mileage is better.
Similarly to what you are saying, I have noticed that there's very little difference in mileage between driving easy or just driving how I feel AS LONG AS the "sample" is big enough.

I'm not comparing 2 trips to the grocery store because a 5 or 6 mile sample is so small that the traffic lights or time of day or whether it was a Coldstart trip or warmed up trip...... Could all skew those results. Rather I'm talking about a sample of 50 or more miles that might be one long run or a combination of multiple runs.

Or put another way, each tankful ends up being within 1-2 mpg by the time I fill up. Yet I have changed driving styles on purpose, as well as the samples containing different kinds of trips.

I'm amazed at how fast the mpg for "This Trip" will recover after I destroy the number with a couple of WOT moments. Eventually the EV mileage drags the mpg back into the 20+ range. So cool.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Yes, you are 100% correct. The sweet spot seems to be just before the eco meter needle starts to move. If I try to go all electric it quickly kills the MPG on the re-charge while trying to accelerate later. The cruise control seems to resume via acceleration using the best combo of ICE+Electric possible. You can get slightly better by making the ICE die by touching the brake 2x while coasting, and then coast on electric only to raise MPG.

Originally I thought the acceleration from the adaptive cruise was wasting MPG, but after driving many miles, I realized letting the ICE+Electric get the vehicle moving fast and then coasting on electric only is BEST MPG.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Wow! I have been driving like this for 20,000 miles and I haven’t seen the Distance to Empty calculation remain this high for 28.4 miles after filling up.

It still shows 710 miles remaining, and that’s after driving nearly 30 miles from the gas station, and made a couple stops idling for 5-10 minutes. If you add 28.4 to to the DTE you would get a DTE of 738.4.

Do the math with 30.5 gallons and 738.4 miles and that gives you 24.2 MPG. Keep in mind, I’m actually driving the truck daily and not one long trip either, because Starbucks is 6 miles away, and I like potent coffee. I am trying things with the warm up time to try and maximize fuel economy (like running the engine for 1-2 minutes idling before departing) & (hitting the brakes as much as possible to kill ICE).

But I’m not sure I have seen more than 705 miles on the DTE during the life of this truck. Now all the sudden something has changed.

Update 1.6.0, fill up, better MPG?

Or, am I just so gung ho for electric that I’m making these result appear? Lol. You be the judge.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 01F8644F-5791-47A7-AAC6-E544DF656488

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I don't have a large sample size, but in my few attempts at using ECO mode for "city" driving, it didn't seem to be cut-out for it. My MPG calculation from the truck was lower than Normal mode driving for the same trip. To me, it felt like ECO was trying to switch to full EV at any chance it could. It would also hold tall gears longer under load, requiring more effort to get up to speed. Normal seems to be a good mix for my typical work trip under these conditions as it doesn't always want to be in full EV mode, so I tend to get longer spans in full electric when it does change over because the battery has a higher state of charge. ECO mode on the highway is another story, especially with adaptive cruise/lane centering on. I think that is the perfect time to have the shift strategy it does.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
704.5 Miles to 1 Full Tank of 30.525 Gallons = 23.08 MPG Real Math MPG!!!!

Ok, I think I may have updated news with regard to Powerboost MPG after the Power Up 1.6.0 Update. I thought something may have changed, because it seemed the MPG readings changed after the update. They just seemed slightly different than the other 26,000 miles I’ve driven, so I put it to the test :)

The below pictures are from the trip meter for my most recent tank of 87 octane Walmart - Murphy gasoline.

This is as real world driving as I think I can get because it was 32% city (Gulf Breeze, Pensacola, Mobile), 32% highway (Gulf Breeze, Mary Esther, Pensacola, 32% interstate (Pensacola to Mobile several times) and 4% parked with ignition on maintaining 72-74 AC temp. Nearly all acceleration and deceleration was performed with the adaptive cruise and in ECO mode.

City = 20 - 35 MPH
Highway = 45 - 55 MPH
Interstate = 60 - 75 MPH (driving with traffic, with adaptive cruise set, not to exceed the posted speed limit).

When I filled up last, I topped the tank off until I couldn’t trickle any more without burping some out on the ground. (Not that sissy one click stuff) Then on the most recent fill up, I shook the truck and made sure to fill it with as much as possible for an accurate full tank to full tank reading.

My results blew me away. Not only did the truck reach 700 miles with 1 tank (at 0 miles to empty no less), it also achieved 23.08 Miles Per GALLON!!! ON PAPER, which is the same as the instrument cluster reading of 23.0 MPG.

This is real math calculations now matching the instrument cluster calculation! My truck has always been off by .5 MPG in Ford’s Favor, not mine. The fact that it’s getting 700 miles per tank now should be enough, but the fact that the MPG calculations are corrected too is just crazy!!!

Did Ford correct the fuel MPG calculations and make these trucks more efficient at the same time in the last update??

720 DTE showing after re-fueling complete (I drove 5 miles on 0 miles to empty):
4757D34C-44B4-49C8-B9E9-31BD59E6E745.jpeg

Picture before DTE Reached 0 Miles to Empty:
92506C9F-0002-4D0D-83BD-451E6CDA05FD.jpeg

Fuel Consumed Over 704.5 Miles:
F5EEFF7F-3989-40F1-BC47-2D0907B01C90.jpeg
@AutonomousHybridF150 -

Thanks for sharing!

Coincidentally, I tried this just yesterday. 700.6 miles driven but showing 2 miles left in the tank (I didn't have the guts to go below E). I refilled it as before (using that 'sissy' technique you referenced) and it took only 29.96 gallons. I still had 0.6 gallons left in the tank. That's about 15 mile. Using the 24.6 MPG on the instrument cluster, that's a total of ~715 miles per tank!

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 1629132444624

Doing the mpg math myself, 700.6 mi/29.96 gal = 23.38 MPG. That's about 1.2 MPG below what the Instrument Panel shows - not good.

My #'s are almost identical to your 1st example. I'd be interested to learn what, if anything changed between your 2 examples. Please let me know if you figure it out - thank you!

Kevin.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I still don't know how you guys are getting this mileage. Over about 10 tanks of different brands, trying both premium and regular, the highest average I get is 20-21. That is with about 20% of miles on electric, a very light foot, and highway cruising at 71-72 MPH max. Caveat = CA ethanol fuel, and I live in a hilly area.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
@AutonomousHybridF150 -

Thanks for sharing!

Coincidentally, I tried this just yesterday. 700.6 miles driven but showing 2 miles left in the tank (I didn't have the guts to go below E). I refilled it as before (using that 'sissy' technique you referenced) and it took only 29.96 gallons. I still had 0.6 gallons left in the tank. That's about 15 mile. Using the 24.6 MPG on the instrument cluster, that's a total of ~715 miles per tank!

1629132444624.png

Doing the mpg math myself, 700.6 mi/29.96 gal = 23.38 MPG. That's about 1.2 MPG below what the Instrument Panel shows - not good.

My #'s are almost identical to your 1st example. I'd be interested to learn what, if anything changed between your 2 examples. Please let me know if you figure it out - thank you!

Kevin.
Wow! I think you missed the spectacular part, and that is you got 23.38 MPG. The Distance to Empty is an ever changing formula, and I have been driving MPG easy for about a month, and I’m also trying to get 24MPG on my next tank.

With regard to the MPG calculation, you can modify the cluster calculation value using engineering test mode to make your truck readout more accurate. The Lord only knows what type of 5 dollar mass produces sensor Ford is using to quantitate fuel usage (how precise can a 5 dollar sensor be). So different trucks can and will be different in their visible representation of MPG.

Before you go changing that though, I would perform that exact same test, at the exact same station and pump #. Multiple times, and get an average. I have checked MPG like 6 total times while I have had my truck, and each time it was 0.5MPG to 1.0 MPG off. Only the very last test showed up dead on.

Was it because I packed as much fuel as possible these last couple times? Maybe.
***Someone, somewhere, said that filling your fuel tank up all the way, and top it off completely, it damages some Emissions equipment***

Between PB Sport 575TQ 4x4 launches, trail riding bouncing, and Emergency electric braking going from 0% to 100% faster than a human ever could before, I think Ford has the fuel tank interior pretty much designed for fuel touching and filling every crevice of the tank. I feel like a medium car wreck is going to make gas go anywhere it can inside a tank, and you don’t see them changing fuel tank components on every car wreck.

**Nothing on any of my trucks/cars has ever “broken” from topping the fuel tank off. My dad did it when I was a kid, and so I basically always did it if I was on a trip and “wanted those extra 10 miles of gas”. Half the time I can put an extra gallon in, sometimes I can only put .5 gallons in. So if you don’t top it off, and you don’t have a degree in fluid dynamics, then you really don’t know if it was filled the same as last time.

I have used pumps that shut off if it smells gas near the nozzle, and then I’ve had the lovely pump handles that didn’t shut off until it was spewing out on the ground. Then there is everything in between those 2, so you never really know unless you fill the tank until it can’t physically hold any more fuel.

Tip for fitting the most fuel:
Lowest setting on (some have 2 or 3 notches) the pump handle to fill the tank. This allows the fuel to enter and the air to exit smoothly, while you are fueling up. Then pull handle out 2-3 inches and fill slowly until you see fuel creeping up. Put nozzle back in. Then take both hands (apply them to a strong point on your alum body) and get the vehicle to rock ever so slightly back and forth. This releases the bubbles trapped at the top of tank, allowing more fuel in the tank.

I have tested it without truly topping the tank off, and my results carried from 1.0 MPG off to .4 MPG off from the cluster calculation.

Something else I have noticed, the Trip 1 meter does NOT count the fuel used or time during remote start. You know, before the cluster comes on. Each remote start runs your truck up to 15 mins if you don’t get inside (or have that setting changed) and that time hits your actual fuel mileage calculation, but not your electronic MPG calculation in the Trip Meter.

So if you remote start a lot, that could be throwing the calc off, thus you seeing lower than expected in the manual calculation.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm getting about 1 more than you Lippy. I'd be happy to give you that 1 mpg if it was possible. I can't believe this thing gets more than 15 the way I drive it and how insane it performs. It's like science fiction but for real!

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I still don't know how you guys are getting this mileage. Over about 10 tanks of different brands, trying both premium and regular, the highest average I get is 20-21. That is with about 20% of miles on electric, a very light foot, and highway cruising at 71-72 MPH max. Caveat = CA ethanol fuel, and I live in a hilly area.
One of my good friends lives in a very hilly neighborhood in Daphne Alabama. So every time he cranks his vehicle cold and runs anywhere, it has to work overtime dumpling extra fuel during that warm-up timeframe. This means he always complains about terrible fuel mileage from all of his vehicles.

I’ve noticed in my truck when leaving his home, it seems to get terrible fuel mileage each time. Lol.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Also, as your tires wear from 100% to wear bar %, they get smaller and your truck does not calculate this in the odometer reading.

Speaking of tires, mine have always been above 36-37 cold, but have recently leaked down some to 35-36 cold.

I guess running 38-40 lbs might get some tiny increase in MPG. But, there is a reason I don’t have a super duty, so I’m not keeping them at max pressure.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Nearly all stations here are E-15. Is that standard different in CA?

I rarely see stations with pure 100% gasoline in Pensacola or Mobile (unless they brand 91 as marine grade for 4.00 a gallon), but in Lake Charles we have pure gasoline on every other corner station :)

100% Gasoline, all three grades, nearly same price as E-15. This was like this my whole life y’all, and found out I was spoiled to this when I moved away :(
Sponsored