Sponsored

Warning for those using the BM-2 Bluetooth Battery Monitor

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7L
I've been looking at installing a Bluetooth battery monitor on my F150 and it seems everybody has a BM-2 or similar monitor installed with associated app on their phone.

Stumbled across this link which puts forth the case that the associated app is tracking user location data and sending it overseas to China.

https://doubleagent.net/2023/05/21/a-car-battery-monitor-tracking-your-location
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Just about every chinese BMS/Batt monitoring app I've seen really wants information it's got zero need to be collecting. I've got a mod'd fire tablet with no cellular or GPS that I use to connect to such devices. Hard not laugh at the "this app requires GPS data". I don't use the apps with a live data connection either. The cameras and mics are both taped over as well.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
I would not trust anything to plug in OBD or that has Bluetooth to go to a networked device. Assume it goes to China regardless. Same with home network and IoT. Block all outbound.

It's one thing for a public company to "misuse" and sell data for profit, it's another when a totalitarian state does this.

Brad34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 3.5 Ecoboost Screw
This is exactly why I chose not to buy one. I'm not putting some unknown Chinese company's app on my phone.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
I don’t see the big deal. Just don’t allow location permissions. Not sure why anyone would for an app like this in the first place anyway.

Sponsored

tjtennispro

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 V6 Lariat
Occupation
Tennis Pro
Read a book over Christmas called Unrestricted Warfare. It’s written by two Chinese Generals about how they use GPS satellites and they have already determined who will own your house and mine when they excute their plan. All land in the United States has already been determined. They publicly discussed this and the videos are online. I guess these Bluetooth monitors are one way they claim land.

Overrunning the border is phase 1.

I've been looking at installing a Bluetooth battery monitor on my F150 and it seems everybody has a BM-2 or similar monitor installed with associated app on their phone.

Stumbled across this link which puts forth the case that the associated app is tracking user location data and sending it overseas to China.

https://doubleagent.net/2023/05/21/a-car-battery-monitor-tracking-your-location

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Read a book over Christmas called Unrestricted Warfare. It’s written by two Chinese Generals about how they use GPS satellites and they have already determined who will own your house and mine when they excute their plan. All land in the United States has already been determined. They publicly discussed this and the videos are online. I guess these Bluetooth monitors are one way they claim land.

AS a native Texan, i have all but a few words for them
"come and take it"
tracking is out of control, i can look at one thing on my phone and boom all 3 emails get an ad.
it seems each update turns stuff back on

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
Taking my home will require avoiding a lot of lead poisoning. I suspect that there won't be much left of the house by the time we finish trading. And my last act will be firing the .45 caliber incendiary rounds into various cans of flammable fluids scattered about the house. Welcome to the ashes!

Brad34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 3.5 Ecoboost Screw

Well this thread is getting off track, but I'd sure like to know how the Chinese military would overrun any of our borders. They're just going to sneak in hundreds of thousands of troops into Mexico or Canada without our military noticing? This isn't 1941.

M.R.F.O.R.D.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks for the heads up.

I have blocked the following domains with Pi-Hole and Next-DNS (everytime I run the app is see theses domains show up in the logs)

quicklynks.com
dualstack-cgicol.amap.com
netease.im
netease.com
alibabadns.com

Last edited:

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Thanks for the heads up.

I have blocked the following domains with Pi-Hole and Next-DNS (everytime I run the app is see theses domains show up in the logs)

quicklynks.com
dualstack-cgicol.amap.com
netease.im
netease.com
alibabadns.com
Good idea.
I keep thinking I'll setup a pi hole but not got round to it. My router is limited on number of addresses I can block.

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I get the concern, and I’m pretty picky with my illusion of control over how I’m tracked too. That’s one of the reasons I use iOS over android.

But if we’re really concerned we won’t use any modern phone or vehicle.

At least the phone manufacturers give the illusion of caring about your privacy. Automotive manufacturers, not so much.
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/b...rd-volkswagen-and-toyota-flunks-privacy-test/

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I KNEW IT!

All I wanted to do was check the static voltage of my 12V AGM battery under the hood of my Merican Pickup.
And low and behold I'm aiding and abetting the commies takeover of my way of life.

Can't do nothin these days without gettin sucked into the darkness.

By the way, I drove my truck near 50 miles today. Did wonders for my SOC.
Now the Chinese know where I ate supper though.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
This was a funny read honestly...
Lots of complaints about people listening but so many people use Siri, Alexa and other listening devices all day, every day. Not to mention Forscan is written by a Russian dude... Hehe
I'm in IT, so I'm kinda manic about this stuff.
No WiFi enabled, no OTA enabled, no tracking.
All microphones in TVs physically removed, VPNs on phones, no Google or Comcast DNS used... Ever....
Unless you are overkill on your security, you are being tracked one way or another and considering some of the revelations being exposed lately, it's probably all getting to China from people we are supposed to be trusting anyway...
Sponsored