Second battery for fridge

Bluetobb

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
i have a 2021 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost. We put in the decked system and Leer topper. I want to put an ARB fridge off the back but don’t want it running off the main battery. I have read up on putting a second battery in and using the alternator to charge but have to mess with the computer.

Tell me is this a dumb idea or simple won’t work:
Put. 50 to 100 amp hour battery in a battery box in the bed, maybe on the deck. Use a plug in ac charger plugged into the bed ac outlet (just the standard 400 watt). The 10 amp ac charger doesn’t draw more than 150 watts. When ever the car is running the battery will be charging. Will this tax the main battery or the alternator? Is there a simple way to do what I want without messing with the computer? I leave in 2 weeks for Utah for the summer.

100 amp hours would last 2 days and only drain to 50%.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G3M697M/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
As long as what you're pulling from that 400w outlet in the bed doesn't exceed the 400w it's rated for, you should be just fine. It's designed to support any load up to that 400w any time the engine is running.