Sponsored

Using the 2.4kw on board generator for trailer loads.

jmonterc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybryid
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If your planning on buying the hybrid with the 2.4 KW on board generator to power your trailer be aware, It can't handle much of a load. It will not run your AC, the load is too great. To run the AC or start a 2 HP motor you must have the 7.2kw option. I am so sad that I didn't check the specs. I would have easily been able to get the larger inverter. Now I' stuck with a truck that can't handle all my needs. :(
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmonterc

jmonterc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybryid
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I thought that might help but if your running from the inverter I'm concerned that there may be harmonic interaction that will harm the inverter or the soft start. Any thoughts about that?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm disappointed for you because powering an RV with the Powerboost Pro-Power is a match made in RV heaven. And for only an additional $750, it's just silly to even offer the 2.4 on the Powerboost truck.

Regardless, if I found myself in your plight, I absolutely would invest in one of the high-end softstart (you get what you pay for approach) and find out for myself. The truck is in warranty and there's nothing I see documented that would indicate you would be using it outside its intended use.

When I purchased my Powerboost, the dealership actually had 2 of them in their Covid depleted inventory. I asked them how they haven't sold immediately and they said they suspected it was because they were fully loaded Platinums? I don't know if that's the reason, but I was pleased I actually had a choice. But then I looked closer and one of them was the 2.4 KW.

Seemed even silly'r to load up a Platinum Powerboost and NOT get the 7.2KW.

Made my decision easier. Even though I didn't want a Black truck. (The other one was the dark red)

Turned out it really wasn't black afterall. (Kodiak Brown. Just pretends to be black)

Anyways, I hope you do give a softstart a chance. It'll be interesting.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
I'm disappointed for you because powering an RV with the Powerboost Pro-Power is a match made in RV heaven. And for only an additional $750, it's just silly to even offer the 2.4 on the Powerboost truck.

Regardless, if I found myself in your plight, I absolutely would invest in one of the high-end softstart (you get what you pay for approach) and find out for myself. The truck is in warranty and there's nothing I see documented that would indicate you would be using it outside its intended use.

When I purchased my Powerboost, the dealership actually had 2 of them in their Covid depleted inventory. I asked them how they haven't sold immediately and they said they suspected it was because they were fully loaded Platinums? I don't know if that's the reason, but I was pleased I actually had a choice. But then I looked closer and one of them was the 2.4 KW.

Seemed even silly'r to load up a Platinum Powerboost and NOT get the 7.2KW.

Made my decision easier. Even though I didn't want a Black truck. (The other one was the dark red)

Turned out it really wasn't black afterall. (Kodiak Brown. Just pretends to be black)

Anyways, I hope you do give a softstart a chance. It'll be interesting.
I know this is a old post but if you find your self with wonderful powerbases but it only has a 2.4 KW generator all is not lost. If you have 2 KW of lithium batteries or more and a 2 KW low frequency inverter just by installing a 80 to 100 amp charger you can do anything you want, even run ac all day. Just hook your powerboost to the battery charger. I have a 7.2 and I still do it this way. I think its the best way to do it

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew Powerboost 302A
I know this is a old post but if you find your self with wonderful powerbases but it only has a 2.4 KW generator all is not lost. If you have 2 KW of lithium batteries or more and a 2 KW low frequency inverter just by installing a 80 to 100 amp charger you can do anything you want, even run ac all day. Just hook your powerboost to the battery charger. I have a 7.2 and I still do it this way. I think its the best way to do it
Can you say what parts you have for your setup?
Sponsored