Warning for those using the BM-2 Bluetooth Battery Monitor

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
Just so all are clear that it isn't connected to the BM2 issue, reading thru the DNS Manager app info I saw that sentry.io is the error reporting URL for the NextDNS Manager app itself. So some may not care.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Added

musman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 , 2022 Edge ST, 2017 Shelby GT350
I KNEW IT!

All I wanted to do was check the static voltage of my 12V AGM battery under the hood of my Merican Pickup.
And low and behold I'm aiding and abetting the commies takeover of my way of life.

Can't do nothin these days without gettin sucked into the darkness.

By the way, I drove my truck near 50 miles today. Did wonders for my SOC.
Now the Chinese know where I ate supper though.
The Chinese may know where you ate, but we sure as hell would like to know as well !🙃

BTW i just cancelled my order for this exact same battery tingy . 👍

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Was looking at battery monitors and stumbled onto this thread.

I don't want tracking any more than necessary to function but I agree that there is already so much that you can't reasonably disable, or that people give up voluntarily, that some concerns seem almost foolish.

First of all, China, or anyone else, isn't physically invading the US. Ever.

If you use Siri, or Alexa (I don't) you've given permission to allow the network to listen to you. Same for google assistant, same Ford assistant, if so enabled.

Even with every location permission disabled, they can still locate you within a few hundred yards or less, via cell tower triangulation. Look up an address on the maps program? Logged. Use a weather widget? Logged.

I have a modern (released last Dec.) android phone. I did an internal search for "disabling domains" and it came up with nothing. So, doesn't look like I have any on board tools to do that?

Anyway, I looked at the several monitors mentioned here.

Snake's fav.

https://www.amazon.com/QUICKLYNKS-Battery-Monitor-Bluetooth-Device/dp/B01MT4583U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?

And the 2 ANCELs

https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BM200-Bluetooth-Automotive-Lead-Acid/dp/B0BZ8D71NY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BM300-Bluetooth-Automotive-Motorcycles/dp/B07WCW49YM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?

Now, I'm just a dumb hick but usually, when something has a bigger number, that means its, the newer, or more powerful but that doesn't appear to be so in this case.

The ANCEL BM300 has been out for several yrs. at least while the BM200 is newer and uses a more secure Bluetooth protocol (4.2)

The BM300 uses a different app, or at least looks different than the BM200, which looks just like Snake's, which everyone is concerned about.

I looked at the BM300 thinking it would be better on the tracking angle and saw an installation vid, where the guy had to spend an inordinate amount of time, setting up the app and the various permissions. So, no easy out there.

Then, while the BM200 uses what appears to be the same app as Snake's, it does use BT 4.2, which has security upgrades from 4.0.

I'm leaning toward the BM200 but if someone could clue me in on how to block undesirable domains on my phone, I'd appreciate it.

Sponsored

Brad34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 3.5 Ecoboost Screw
It's not necessarily the tracking as much as who is doing it. Yes, there is Google, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, Ford and all of the other huge companies doing it. But do you want some Chinese company no one really knows anything about tracking you? For me that's the issue.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
It's not necessarily the tracking as much as who is doing it. Yes, there is Google, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, Ford and all of the other huge companies doing it. But do you want some Chinese company no one really knows anything about tracking you? For me that's the issue.
No argument. Can you direct me to how to disallow undesirable domains on a new android?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's easy enough to thwart, if you are truly concerned.
However, I think the Chinese manage most toll roads in America? So they got more than one tentacle in our space.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Seriously? You think the Chinese government monitors, logs and stores data 24 hours a day from millions of vehicles just to know if I'm going to Walmart on Monday or if I waited until Wednesday? Or if I drove 5 miles to the grocery store or if I decided to go to a different store 8 miles from my house? Do they think I'm towing around a nuclear tipped ICBM or something?

Are they waiting until the battery monitor tells them I'm at least 15 miles from home so now is the best time to travel thousands of miles across the Pacific ocean, undetected, invade and occupy my house while I'm away?

Do they want to know where our warships are or our submarines or our top government officials at any given time? Probably, just as I'm sure we want to know the same thing about their military equipment and government officials.

But where my F-150 is parked and for how long it's driven? How could that possible have any value to them. It's about as valuable to us as if we know when a random farmer in one of their remote fields drove his tractor 2 miles or 4 miles in any given day.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Seriously? You think the Chinese government monitors, logs and stores data 24 hours a day from millions of vehicles just to know if I'm going to Walmart on Monday or if I waited until Wednesday? Or if I drove 5 miles to the grocery store or if I decided to go to a different store 8 miles from my house? Do they think I'm towing around a nuclear tipped ICBM or something?

Do they want to know where our warships are or our submarines or our top government officials at any given time? Probably, just as I'm sure we want to know the same thing about their military equipment and government officials.
Yes

It's the nature of gov to end up at the most tyrannical point it can. The most effective form of control is influencing behavior without the subject realizing they're being influenced. High fidelity data is the way, and your phone provides more than enough data for that. The 'why' of the situation is the same as to why the FBI collects encrypted communications from as many places as they can - eventually they'll be able to crack it and the data have use. Compute and the software behind it will eventually be able to predict the actions of nations down to the individual level. Before they can predict the future, they must predict today with yesterday's data.

This is the ultimate goal of earth's "digital twin". Ai is a double edged sword though, eventually your phone will have an ai agent that works for you and helps obscure your identity as much as possible. That's assuming an ASI doesn't come online and start tailoring the future before the open source community can create / distribute such things.

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation

Are they waiting until the battery monitor tells them I'm at least 15 miles from home so now is the best time to travel thousands of miles across the Pacific ocean, undetected, invade and occupy my house while I'm away?

But where my F-150 is parked and for how long it's driven? How could that possible have any value to them. It's about as valuable to us as if we know when a random farmer in one of their remote fields drove his tractor 2 miles or 4 miles in any given day.
I think you miss the point of the "benefits" (to them) these corporate and nation-state data hoovers gain from large-scale data aggregation.

Last edited:

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
I'm leaning toward the BM200....
I have the Ancel BM300 in all my vehicles. Xmit distance is very short; 10 feet at most. All use the "Ancel Battery Monitor" app which is just a reskinned version of the one @Snakebitten uses. On a old phone that is in Airplane Mode except for Bluetooth (i.e., no SIM, no WiFi) and location disabled.
Sponsored

Last edited: