Transmission shudder

bam2880

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150
Update: dealer “fix” didn’t do anything. Continued shudder right off the dealer lot - waiting for an appt to return truck to service again.
What fix did your dealer try?
Sponsored

Howard5091

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Update: dealer “fix” didn’t do anything. Continued shudder right off the dealer lot - waiting for an appt to return truck to service again.
It sounds like your issue is a bit different than the majority of us are experiencing. Sounds like you have a pretty solid misfire that is happening at low speeds as well. Most of our “shuddering” occurs 8-9-10 gear while climbing an incline at 50-70 mph. My truck has never had any issues in any other driving conditions.

Let us know what they come up with.

Waterfowler

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Crew Cab Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Telecom
Good afternoon everyone. Took my 2021 Lariat Powerboost in this morning before 8am and dealer was done by 12:30pm.

Here are the notes from the work order TSB# 22-2224. Reprogram the PCM and any other modules required by the software update and service procedure. (You can see the full notes on the attached picture)

I took a 20 minute drive after picking the truck up and the vibration, in my opinion, is no longer there. My problem started in November with less than 2500 miles on the truck. It's been so long I can't tell you what normal would feel like but my drive was the "most" normal feeling ride in almost 7 months. I'm not a mechanic by any means but the truck feels a little more responsive when accelerating in higher gears and quicker to downshift. I did feel a rhythmic vibration once at constant speed (something Service Manager observed months ago on test ride) but was very subtle, and again, maybe normal...I am really hoping this did it.

7 months, 8 total repair attempts at 2 different dealers, countless emails, calls and an official Lemon Law case is what got us here. Hopefully others can resolve their situation without going through the pains many of us have experienced.

Good luck !!
Ford F-150 Transmission shudder TSB 22-2224

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Good afternoon everyone. Took my 2021 Lariat Powerboost in this morning before 8am and dealer was done by 12:30pm.

Here are the notes from the work order TSB# 22-2224. Reprogram the PCM and any other modules required by the software update and service procedure. (You can see the full notes on the attached picture)

I took a 20 minute drive after picking the truck up and the vibration, in my opinion, is no longer there. My problem started in November with less than 2500 miles on the truck. It's been so long I can't tell you what normal would feel like but my drive was the "most" normal feeling ride in almost 7 months. I'm not a mechanic by any means but the truck feels a little more responsive when accelerating in higher gears and quicker to downshift. I did feel a rhythmic vibration once at constant speed (something Service Manager observed months ago on test ride) but was very subtle, and again, maybe normal...I am really hoping this did it.

7 months, 8 total repair attempts at 2 different dealers, countless emails, calls and an official Lemon Law case is what got us here. Hopefully others can resolve their situation without going through the pains many of us have experienced.

Good luck !!
TSB 22-2224.png
That’s great news! Mine is going in next week for the fix. I’ll post up my results as well. I don’t have the power boost so hopefully I’ll have the same outcome

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired

Good luck !!
TSB 22-2224.png
Awesome news! Thank you for the update .

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
There was a PCM Update released for the 3.5 Ecoboost this week. I have heard that it makes it better.
Did this include powerboost?

my 21 with 25,000 miles shuddered like crazy up a hill. I thought it was tied to 87octane. My 22 just did it for the first time at 3,000 miles on 93

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

my 21 with 25,000 miles shuddered like crazy up a hill. I thought it was tied to 87octane. My 22 just did it for the first time at 3,000 miles on 93
I dont know. I believe there may be an update for the Power boost. Again this update I cant say for 100% fixes but I heard from some it does,

I always recommend keeping up with the updates Ford releases. The dealers cant get it through their skulls that these updates are not optional they are the same as an oil change they are required

Waterfowler

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Telecom

Yes it did- did you see my post?

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Yes it did- did you see my post?
I see it now, That’s great. Mine was only happening under boost which is what made me think it was 87 octane or excessive condensation in the intercooler.
Looks like I need a trip to the dealer for the update

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a

I don’t think this new PCM update applies to the Powerboost. There was a PCM update for the PB that came out about month ago. But as of this morning, there has been no new release. Might be a different issue. I think the PB’s transmission and the transmission on the straight 3.5 EB are a bit different.

Sponsored

Waterfowler

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Telecom
So two days post software update. Takeaways- MPG has dropped significantly. I used to average 22-23 MPG with better gas mileage around town and lower MPG on highway. Average MPG the past two days is down to 18 MPG on the same routes I've driven with this truck for the past 8 months.

Before taking your truck in for the update, I suggest writing down your shift points, the RPMs your truck turns in specific gears and at specific speeds. My truck is staying in 8th gear much longer than before and obviously running at higher RPMs. The electric mode is not kicking in as often either.

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
So two days post software update. Takeaways- MPG has dropped significantly. I used to average 22-23 MPG with better gas mileage around town and lower MPG on highway. Average MPG the past two days is down to 18 MPG on the same routes I've driven with this truck for the past 8 months.

Before taking your truck in for the update, I suggest writing down your shift points, the RPMs your truck turns in specific gears and at specific speeds. My truck is staying in 8th gear much longer than before and obviously running at higher RPMs. The electric mode is not kicking in as often either.
I knew there would be a catch! Ridiculous…

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If the TSB clears the adaptive tables, which many PCM updates do, then it's similar to when you first purchased the truck. Your first few hundred miles will not be indicative of the long-term affects.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A

Your adaptive shift tables were zeroed out. You're rebuilding those tables from scratch.
Sponsored