Roll.Tide

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Couple of questions.
1. does anyone use the gear lockout while driving in town?
2. does anyone use it to down shift instead of going to manual?
3. Is there a way to “untrain” your transmission DYI or is that just a dealer thing?
4.does the transmission trained for each driving mode.
and finally 5. My default mode is now “slippery “ and when switched to any other mode it immediately goes back to “slippery “
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
Couple of questions.
1. does anyone use the gear lockout while driving in town?
2. does anyone use it to down shift instead of going to manual?
3. Is there a way to “untrain” your transmission DYI or is that just a dealer thing?
4.does the transmission trained for each driving mode.
and finally 5. My default mode is now “slippery “ and when switched to any other mode it immediately goes back to “slippery “
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I have been manually down shifting on the highway due to the on going issue with transmission shutter at highway speeds. You can reset/retrain the transmission values with Forscan but I havent personally done so. The default slippery mode is a new one for me. Not sure about that one.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I don’t lock out gears in town, but occasionally will on cruise control to keep the stuttering at bay. (Seems to be a very different transmission logic on cruise vs driving with a normal pedal. The same hill that mine will try to climb in 10th on cruise, I can cancel cruise and just use my foot to maintain speed and it’ll immediately drop to 8 or 9 by itself, thus stopping the stuttering). I don’t see a need to lock anything out in town. No idea how slippery is your default mode, it should be normal

I’ve never actually hit the M button, just locked gears out

clintondupuy

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT 4x4
I have a 2018 F-150 and i am having issues with the truck shifting in and out of gear while driving.
I just got it out of the ford garage they had it for 3 months said it was fixed and now it is worse than it was before. any ideas or any one else having this problem?

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
I only use gear lock out when I drive up steep inclines (Northern Minnesota back woods gravel roads) I do this to prevent lugging the motor. In this situation I think a slightly higher rpm is easier on the engine.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
You can use Forscan to clear the adaptive shift tables for the transmission. Takes about 30 seconds once connected to the truck. It then takes about 250 miles for the transmission to "re=learn" your driving habits and correct shifting points. During that time shifts may be erratic, as well as gear skips can happen as it figures things out again.

This is a useful thing to try if the transmission develops an odd shift pattern or excessively harsh shifts. Typically when towing and forgetting to put it into tow mode or forgetting to lock out 7-10 in regular mode when towing.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
You can use Forscan to clear the adaptive shift tables for the transmission. Takes about 30 seconds once connected to the truck. It then takes about 250 miles for the transmission to "re=learn" your driving habits and correct shifting points. During that time shifts may be erratic, as well as gear skips can happen as it figures things out again.

This is a useful thing to try if the transmission develops an odd shift pattern or excessively harsh shifts. Typically when towing and forgetting to put it into tow mode or forgetting to lock out 7-10 in regular mode when towing.
Can we stop with the "learning the driver" stuff?

The tranny is used in a bunch of vehicles, with numerous engines.

It is adaptic to the vehicle.....engine, weight, rear end, etc. It is not programming itself to a particular driver or how said drivers drive.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Can we stop with the "learning the driver" stuff?

The tranny is used in a bunch of vehicles, with numerous engines.

It is adaptic to the vehicle.....engine, weight, rear end, etc. It is not programming itself to a particular driver or how said drivers drive.
This is partly accurate. The system adapts to not only to reduce internal wear but also the individual driver. The system uses inputs from all over the vehicle and adapts over time to the driver input.

There is not a fixed end-point insofar as the "learning" or adaptive strategy. The initial "adaptation" occurs within miles but these systems typically rely on "fuzzy" logic so there are continual changes in the operation of the transmission just as your use of the vehicle may change if you are driving in the city versus in a mountainous region or perhaps towing a trailer. Ford’s Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving). Adaptive shift scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including drive line feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters. These systems rely on thousands of lines of computer code and the foregoing, which is based on Ford’s own overview is simply a quick introduction. The Factory Service Manual and other Ford documentation go into much greater detail regarding the function and capabilities of these systems.
Source: https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/how-does-an-adaptive-transmission-work-by-joshua-f

This Ford tech explains the Ford's adaptive system, how it works and why odd shifting issue can occur.

Sponsored