Transmission Fault

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I have now had several occurences of the Shift System having a fault. This then results in the shifter being moved back to the Park position and it won't go. At the end of the day allowing the truck to warm up clears the problem. Any ideas out there?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have now had several occurences of the Shift System having a fault. This then results in the shifter being moved back to the Park position and it won't go. At the end of the day allowing the truck to warm up clears the problem. Any ideas out there?
Hello, Bill! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this transmission concern. Thanks!

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Update: Dealer had it for a couple days and, I believe, fixed it. The issue is there is a rubber sleeve associated with the filter that can be deformed when put on. If it is deformed then the transmission internal oil pressures are not correct for a couple of minutes when cold soaked. But... if you let it warm up for at least 3-4 minutes, all will be well. Still if this does occur to you, take it into your dealer, and be mindful of the 60,000 miles powertrain warranty expiration. If there are more occurences I'll update further.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's a heck of a transmission when functioning as designed. But it sure sounds like a fair amount of them are coming out of the assembly plant not built/assembled/prepped properly.

Fluid levels wrong (I personally believe way too common)
Auxiliary pumps not pumping in autostop mode. (QC failure)
This anomaly that you described......

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
RE: Fluid levels... I have concluded that this transmission has so many nooks & crannies where air bubbles can get trapped that following the level check procedure, to include ensuring it has been run and is well warmed up is really, really important. Why? Well that issue of lots of nooks & crannies for bubbles just makes a difference. Why so many nooks & crannies? Well, think about it: a ten speed transmission. ...And if you have a Powerboost version there are even more of those nooks & crannies. How many electro-hydraulic relays could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck electro-hydraulic relays... :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Update: My dealer took it in and worked it. Seems that there's a rubber sleeve/seal that can get rolled or improperly seated when the filter unit is installed. If that happens then immediately after start pressures are not correct for a few minutes. Hence the warmup idling noted above. So, if you see this problem it is fixable and if you're on the road then let it idle and warmup for 3-5 minutes. Then take it in and have that seal replaced and seated properly. I've had two mornings now (after my dealer worked it) with my truck cold soaked and it operated just fine,

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Update: over Christmas went down to the Denver area. Very cold weather. Not a peep out of it. No shifter faults, no cold startup cavitation, no funny noises. BTW as part of the fix at the dealers, they put in 12 qts Ford ULV. (y)
Sponsored