Sponsored

Trailer Tow vs Max Trailer Tow with Powerboost….

truck trader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Outdoor Industry
I’m about to order another Powerboost and need some info.

I remember reading on here that the Powerboost essentially already has most of the components of Max Trailer Tow as equipped from the factory - larger axle, etc. and Max Trailer Tow isn’t needed on the PB. There has to be a few difference?

I pull a large tritoon, small tractor and Side by sides frequently. Seldom anything over 7000#.

Speaking specifically about the Powerboost, what are the advantages of the Max Trailer Tow package over the Trailer Tow package? I apologize if this has been beat to death. I tried searching for the information, but couldn’t find it.
Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Short answer: Don't get Max Tow. It'll reduce your payload, and the axle bolts are notorious for shearing off. Just don't do it.
Maybe? If one is ordering something new, that doesn't seem to be an issue any longer. I thought that I heard that that issue has not been reported on anything built after early 2022.

I went with a Max Tow powerboost, despite the fact that I might be paying for some parts twice. I wanted the assurance that I had all of the miscellaneous bits necessary to tow heavy loads (not just most of them). We've had a few people look into it, and I haven't seen anything conclusive to show that the powerboost duplicates ALL ASPECTS of Max Tow, though apparently many parts are the same. The published ratings are higher with Max Tow, if that matters. As I recall, Max Tow was about $1000 more than the standard tow package when I purchased. On a ~$70k, that's a relatively small additional expense to ensure that your truck is rated for the necessary loads (at least in my opinion). YMMV.

Max Tow does reduce your payload by about 20 lbs, so that's another (small) strike against it.

In any case, if you want tow mirrors, you have to get a tow package of some sort.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I went with Max Tow when I ordered in July of '21 and got delivery in Dec of '21. I did it primarily to get the cool new advertised Onboard Scales option in addition to assuming the payload hit was worth it for the minimal additional items over the Trailer Tow package. I had similar thoughts as Aron above.

Knowing what I know today, two years later, if I were to order a new truck, I would NOT get the Max Tow package. Not only did I get a sheared axle bolt, but the onboard scales feature is hot garbage. It sounds cool, but it not useful at all. There are threads on here showing how feckless it is. Then add in that the PB includes most of the features if you have Trailer Tow, you'll run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. I just couldn't with good conscience recommend it.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
When I ordered my MY22 PB 4x4, decided against the Max Tow. The main improvements that I found were larger rear brakes and a stronger rear bumper. Those were not worth a $1,000 premium.

A larger 36 gal gas tank was a moot point since PB's can only get 30.6 gal tanks. Also, the PB already comes with the heavy frame, and the heavy rear spring package. Also PB 4x4's come with the 3.73 rear end w/ e-locker.

The PB is definitely payload challenged. Any PB will run out of payload capacity long before it reaches the tow limit of the regular axle, let alone the higher tow limit of the Max Tow.

Supercub

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I have a 21 PB w/tow package in Alaska that that I am shipping to Tacoma later in June. I’ll be picking up a 12’ cargo trailer in Washington and pulling it to Nev. I have a 22 PB w/max tow there that I will swap out for the 21. Then I’ll tow the trailer back to Alaska w/the 22. The 21 already has the Bilstein level kit, the 22 will get it once back in Alaska.
Having driven both so far, the max 22 is a much different feel than the 21 even though the latter has the level kit. I’ve looked at the springs and they do appear to be the same So yes, beefed up either way. Both are equipped the same and both are Lariet FX4’s. The 21 hasn’t suffered any mileage loss with the level.

Stay tuned.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I remember reading on here that the Powerboost essentially already has most of the components of Max Trailer Tow as equipped from the factory - larger axle, etc. and Max Trailer Tow isn’t needed on the PB. There has to be a few difference?
To be extremely clear on the answer here: the Powerboost DOES NOT get the MaxTow 9.75HD axle without that package equiped. The Powerboost gets the regular 9.75 like every other truck if you don't spec MaxTow.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
In my opinion, the tale is in the tow guides, on pg. 6, (including the footnotes).

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...cpo/pdf/2023_Ford_F-150_Towing_Info_Dec16.pdf

On a base 4x4 PB, its rated to tow not more than 7K lbs.

With the tow package, 11K.

With max tow, its rated for 12,300lbs.

The recommended minimum hitch weight, to avoid dangerous sway for an 11K trailer, would be between 1,100 and 1,650lbs. Ideally, 1,375.

My 4x4 501a, tow package, with none of the hvy. options, has a payload of 1658.

Ford F-150 Trailer Tow vs Max Trailer Tow with Powerboost…. 20230504_121300 (2)

So, unless you're built like a jokey and take little more with you than a single bottle of water, pretty much any configuration of PB would be out of payload, by the time you got to 11K lbs.

For 12,.300, the numbers are minimum 1,230, maximum 1,845 and ideally, 1,538.

Its a very unrealistic scenario, that would to lend to deciding on the max tow pkg. in order to get the increased rating.

You can disagree that these numbers should be what they are but they are what is published by Ford.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The max tow package is worthless on the PB. The "larger brakes" are moot -- it changes frictional contact area about 2% or so, a negligible change. As for the "HD" rear end -- well I can tell from watching posts on many forums, the 9.75" capabilities exceeds the demands anyone has placed on the truck thus far. Tons of issues with the so called "HD" rear end, haven't come across anything of note for the "standard". No bearing or axle failures. HD broken bolts on the other hand, something is up with those things.

When comparing the other trims (as in not powerboost) max tow rating of the "standard" hitch, you find that no trim of the PB can even reach it. The fact they increase the ratings on paper is purely fictional. There's nothing to support the claim. I dove into their magical math in another post probably about 6 weeks back. If the brake controller was readily available for purchase, I'd suggest to forgo the "tow package" as well due to the fact it's the brake controller as the hitch is also part of the PB's trim (online configurator varies in how it applies things that are part of the engine trim).

I've come to the conclusion that ford's marketing team has an engineer on it that's given 'max' specs for each trim and told to make all options look attractive derating as they see fit. The F series is their money printer, don't let them take the paper from your pocket for the practice. The PB's GVWR is artificially de-rated to the point where you run out of sticker payload than you do towing capacity. FX4 package on the PB is another all-profit option for them that includes a button you can add for $30 or so and skid plate you can add for $200 or so, if you think the fuel tank warrants it.+

The PB engine option comes with quite a lot of perks for the money like 3.73 locking rear end(in 4x4 trim), max tow springs, largest F150 rad, 2.4kW inverter that can actually put out 2.5kW all day long (7.2 is the way to go however) whereas the other engines 2kW system is a pathetic joke. It's also got the strongest non-raptor frame and highest front axle rating of all trims with the class 4 hitch being part of it.

Sponsored

Rok51

First Name
Sherrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 powerboost
Occupation
Transportation
I'm so damned lost. So, I have a 22 XLT PB 145' with the tow package. Bumper says 12,400. Not sure about a stabilizer. Can I pull my 8800/10000k loaded trailer according to those options on the truck? I've been looking and looking. All pretty confusing. Sales rep mentioned 14k with no issues.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'm so damned lost. So, I have a 22 XLT PB 145' with the tow package. Bumper says 12,400. Not sure about a stabilizer. Can I pull my 8800/10000k loaded trailer according to those options on the truck? I've been looking and looking. All pretty confusing. Sales rep mentioned 14k with no issues.
10k yes, 14k no.

Rok51

First Name
Sherrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 powerboost
Occupation
Transportation
10k yes, 14k no.
Roger that! So, the max if needed would be the 12,400 under the bumper correct? Wish this was more like my Peterbilt and trailer! I know that's an 80k combo lol.

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
If you're a CDL driver you know what a real trailer feels like. I would no sooner pull 14k with a 150 than I would ride in a homemade submarine to see the titanic wreckage. 10k for a local run to the quarry or something maybe...
Sponsored