Sponsored

2022 Lariat PowerBoost: Tow Tech (17T) vs Trailer Tow (53A)

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Has anyone confirmed yet that the 22’s tow tech actually have the scales for free . Or was this a typo ? I looked at my window sticker and it doesn’t show the tow scales but I did get the tow tech package ?
Per ‘22 RV & Trailer Tow guide: Included.
Per Order Guide (3Jan22): Not included.
Suspect Order Guide > RV & Trailer Tow guide in regards to current accuracy.
Sponsored

Mike_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150, XLT, 302a, 4x4, 3.5L, Antimatter Blue
There are numerous posts already on this forum - all helpful - regarding the collective effort to scrutinize the difference between the 2021 F-150's Tow Technology package (17T) and the 2021 F-150 Trailer Tow package (53A) on trim levels that already include the 7-wire harness and the Class IV hitch receiver.

Quick Reminder:
- 2020 Trailer Towing Selector, page 6, lists various items in the 2020 F-150 Trailer Tow package (53A) that are not included in the base F-150 (e.g. engine oil cooler, a radiator upgrade, upgraded front stabilizer bar).
- 2021 RV & Trailer Tow Guide has an updated chart, as does the 2022 RV & Trailer Tow Guide. The previous equipment additions/upgrades on the 2020 F-150's are no longer listed for the 2021/2022 F-150 Trailer Tow package (53A). On the surface, 17T and 53A appear to be the same thing for the 2021 F-150.
- 2022 RV & Trailer Tow Guide, page 22, states that a PowerBoost F-150 should "not exceed a trailer weight of 7K-lbs with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer Tow Package (53A)."
- What's different between 17T and 53A? The F150gen14 jury appears to have concluded it simply boils down to a 36mm solid front stabilizer bar in place of a 36mm hollow front stabilizer bar (per 2021 F-150 eSourceBook). Apparently that increases your max tow capacity from 7k-lbs to 11k-lbs (4WD SCrew) per Ford.

2021 Price Comparison, Lariat Powerboost:
- Tow Technology package (17T): $880 addition; includes 360 Camera package for free (763).
- Trailer Tow package (53A): $1090 addition.
- 360 Camera package (763): $765 addition; 360 cameras are required for Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 (43B).
--> Lariat PB w/ Co-Pilot Assist: Extra 4k-lbs of towing will cost $975 extra (17T/43B vs 53A/43B).

Reason for this post . . . to make us all feel worse in 2022 :).

Per Ford's 2022 RV & Trailer Tow Guide, the 2022 F-150's Tow Technology package (17) now also includes the Onboard Scales (55S) for free; that's another $650 value added. So to recap: a 53A/43B/55S will now cost you $1625 more than a 17T/43B/55S equipped 4WD SCrew Lariat PowerBoost. That's one expensive 36mm solid front stabilizer.

17T-vs-53A (2022 F-150).jpg
So glad to see this post, confirms I'm not crazy (at least on this topic). I actually got in an argument with my salesman over this and now deal with the sales manager directly. He kept pushing the 53a because of subtext #2 in the 2022 tow guide (page 21) saying you need the 53a in order to pull more than 7,000 lbs. I said thats fine, but could you explain to me what is in that package that miraculously brings my towing capacity from 7,000lbs to 11,300lbs? He would give me "it has a transmission cooler" to which my response was the chart you posted. It came with that in 2020, not now buddy. I finally said to him "you want me to pay $1,090 to dumb the truck down just because Ford threw a subtext under some chart and I'm not doing it." There's nothing in that package that adds power, stability, or safety that isn't already in the 17t.

Anyway, the reason I was digging around forums again as my truck is still on order, I know the Tow Guide says the 17t comes with onboard scales in 2022. Has anyone taken delivery of a 2022 XLT, 302a, with the Tow Tech package that can confirm this? There's other material out there that says I need to upgrade to a Lariat in order to get the onboard scales in the Tow Tech Package because there needs to be a dampening system in place that isn't available in the XLT?...that would be disappointing.
There are numerous posts already on this forum - all helpful - regarding the collective effort to scrutinize the difference between the 2021 F-150's Tow Technology package (17T) and the 2021 F-150 Trailer Tow package (53A) on trim levels that already include the 7-wire harness and the Class IV hitch receiver.

Ford F-150 2022 Lariat PowerBoost: Tow Tech (17T) vs Trailer Tow (53A) 7000

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
So glad to see this post, confirms I'm not crazy (at least on this topic). I actually got in an argument with my salesman over this and now deal with the sales manager directly. He kept pushing the 53a because of subtext #2 in the 2022 tow guide (page 21) saying you need the 53a in order to pull more than 7,000 lbs. I said thats fine, but could you explain to me what is in that package that miraculously brings my towing capacity from 7,000lbs to 11,300lbs? He would give me "it has a transmission cooler" to which my response was the chart you posted. It came with that in 2020, not now buddy. I finally said to him "you want me to pay $1,090 to dumb the truck down just because Ford threw a subtext under some chart and I'm not doing it." There's nothing in that package that adds power, stability, or safety that isn't already in the 17t.

Anyway, the reason I was digging around forums again as my truck is still on order, I know the Tow Guide says the 17t comes with onboard scales in 2022. Has anyone taken delivery of a 2022 XLT, 302a, with the Tow Tech package that can confirm this? There's other material out there that says I need to upgrade to a Lariat in order to get the onboard scales in the Tow Tech Package because there needs to be a dampening system in place that isn't available in the XLT?...that would be disappointing.
I mailed a letter to Ford’s Customer Relations regarding this last month: What’s in 53A that isn’t in 17T? No response. I plan to follow up in another week; that said, I folded to the pressure and ordered 53A. No build date yet.

Mike_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I mailed a letter to Ford’s Customer Relations regarding this last month: What’s in 53A that isn’t in 17T? No response. I plan to follow up in another week; that said, I folded to the pressure and ordered 53A. No build date yet.
That's interesting, I'd be curious if you get a response. I did "chat" with someone on their website, she told me no upgrades in the 53a, but she was just copying and pasting quotes out of the Tow Guide. She didnt really have any unique information.

I actually eventually just told the sales manager to order the 53C for me because at least I'm confident that comes with a bigger gas tank and 3.55 locker. He showed me where he couldn't even order the Max Tow at that time, it was greyed out and said "commodity issue". I just said ya know what, I really don't need the tow package anyway, it's overkill.

I'm not sure if you've seen this but I'll attach a page out of the 2022 E-book that might make you feel better if you ordered the 53a. That DOES say you at least get the upgraded radiator, which would've been enough for me to order it. However, they do say "subject to change" on the bottom, which could explain why it didnt make it to the Tow Guide....it changed by the time they printed the guide?

I just look at the Tow Guide as the bible, and that combined with my salesman being as slimy as a snake....I didnt have any confidence the 53a was coming with anything I didnt already have in the 17t. However, I don't think you're wrong to have ordered the 53a even if just for the technology in that package.

Ford F-150 2022 Lariat PowerBoost: Tow Tech (17T) vs Trailer Tow (53A) 2022 Ebook Coolin

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
That's interesting, I'd be curious if you get a response. I did "chat" with someone on their website, she told me no upgrades in the 53a, but she was just copying and pasting quotes out of the Tow Guide. She didnt really have any unique information.

I actually eventually just told the sales manager to order the 53C for me because at least I'm confident that comes with a bigger gas tank and 3.55 locker. He showed me where he couldn't even order the Max Tow at that time, it was greyed out and said "commodity issue". I just said ya know what, I really don't need the tow package anyway, it's overkill.

I'm attaching a page out of the 2022 E-book that might make you feel better if you ordered the 53a. That DOES say you at least get the upgraded radiator, which would've been enough for me to order it. However, they do say "subject to change" on the bottom, which could explain why it didnt make it to the Tow Guide....it changed by the time they printed the guide?

I just look at the Tow Guide as the bible, and that combined with my salesman being as slimy as a snake....I didnt have any confidence the 53a was coming with anything I didnt already have in the 17t. However, I don't think you're wrong to have ordered the 53a even if just for the technology in that package.

2022 Ebook Cooling.jpg
It comes down to how much you want to tow. Putting aside whatever equipment difference there might or might not be between the two packages, Ford does not rate trucks with the tow tech package only to tow in excess of 7,000 lbs. If you want to tow more than that, and have the comfort of Ford’s rating (for whatever that is worth to you), you need one of the two trailer tow packages.

Unfortunately, the coolest tool that shows how Ford rates different trucks for payload and towing is no longer open to the public. Briefly last spring, Ford unlocked the VIN Decoder on the fleet website. That tool allows you to input the VIN for any Ford truck and it will spit out all kinds of useful information about that truck’s towing equipment, it’s tow rating and its payload (not the factory spec—the rating for that specific truck as-built). It was an awesome tool. When I was shopping for a truck last Spring, I input a whole fistful of VINs so I wouldn’t have to talk to the idiot sales people who know nothing about towing. Every VIN I looked up for trucks that had only the Tow Tech package had ratings of 7,000. No higher.

Sponsored

Mike_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It comes down to how much you want to tow. Putting aside whatever equipment difference there might or might not be between the two packages, Ford does not rate trucks with the tow tech package only to tow in excess of 7,000 lbs. If you want to tow more than that, and have the comfort of Ford’s rating (for whatever that is worth to you), you need one of the two trailer tow packages.

Unfortunately, the coolest tool that shows how Ford rates different trucks for payload and towing is no longer open to the public. Briefly last spring, Ford unlocked the VIN Decoder on the fleet website. That tool allows you to input the VIN for any Ford truck and it will spit out all kinds of useful information about that truck’s towing equipment, it’s tow rating and its payload (not the factory spec—the rating for that specific truck as-built). It was an awesome tool. When I was shopping for a truck last Spring, I input a whole fistful of VINs so I wouldn’t have to talk to the idiot sales people who know nothing about towing. Every VIN I looked up for trucks that had only the Tow Tech package had ratings of 7,000. No higher.
Yes, that's why I attached an image of the subtext they put in the Tow Guide, I'm painfully aware that they don't consider the 17t a "Tow Package" and say you can't pull more than 7,000lbs without the 53a. What I'm saying is, in 2020, I wouldn't have hesitated to add the 53a and move on with my life (attached 2020TowGuide). In 2022, you have to question why' you're spending that money.

I'm going to make a decision based on what the company is willing to put in writing. What Ford was willing to put in writing with the 53a, it made no sense for me to buy it. There is DEFINITELY no brake or suspension upgrades, which would help the stability and safety of the tow vehicle. That's what I would expect in a Tow Package. There is no transmission cooler that may help the vehicle handle pulling more, but does nothing for power or safety anyway. There may be a radiator upgrade, but they can't even commit to that.

The other factor is the 360 camera package is important to me. I'm getting older; that camera package, 12" screen, and other assistance tech it's incorporated with are one of the reasons I chose the F-150. The 360 Camera package is INCLUDED in the Tow Technology package, but I would have to pay $765 for separately with the 53a. That's combined with the Trailer Reverse Guidance and Onboard Scales...you're just getting a better truck with the 17t than the 53a.

You are right, it comes down to what you're towing. I have a travel trailer with GVWR of 5,000lbs, and occasionally hook up some equipment or small fishing boat. The 53a or 53c was just for peace of mind but really not necessary.

It is a tough decision though, I asked anyone I could think of to give me an answer as to what is in the the 53a in 2022 that does anything to improve towing capacity. After a few weeks of nobody having an answer, I think I had my answer.

Ford F-150 2022 Lariat PowerBoost: Tow Tech (17T) vs Trailer Tow (53A) 2020 Tow packages

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Yes, that's why I attached an image of the subtext they put in the Tow Guide, I'm painfully aware that they don't consider the 17t a "Tow Package" and say you can't pull more than 7,000lbs without the 53a. What I'm saying is, in 2020, I wouldn't have hesitated to add the 53a and move on with my life (attached 2020TowGuide). In 2022, you have to question why' you're spending that money.

I'm going to make a decision based on what the company is willing to put in writing. What Ford was willing to put in writing with the 53a, it made no sense for me to buy it. There is DEFINITELY no brake or suspension upgrades, which would help the stability and safety of the tow vehicle. That's what I would expect in a Tow Package. There is no transmission cooler that may help the vehicle handle pulling more, but does nothing for power or safety anyway. There may be a radiator upgrade, but they can't even commit to that.

The other factor is the 360 camera package is important to me. I'm getting older; that camera package, 12" screen, and other assistance tech it's incorporated with are one of the reasons I chose the F-150. The 360 Camera package is INCLUDED in the Tow Technology package, but I would have to pay $765 for separately with the 53a. That's combined with the Trailer Reverse Guidance and Onboard Scales...you're just getting a better truck with the 17t than the 53a.

You are right, it comes down to what you're towing. I have a travel trailer with GVWR of 5,000lbs, and occasionally hook up some equipment or small fishing boat. The 53a or 53c was just for peace of mind but really not necessary.

It is a tough decision though, I asked anyone I could think of to give me an answer as to what is in the the 53a in 2022 that does anything to improve towing capacity. After a few weeks of nobody having an answer, I think I had my answer.

2020 Tow packages.jpg
I completely understand your reasoning. Very pragmatic. My reasoning, when confronted with the same decision, was far more cynical. If something ever went seriously wrong and I needed to put a Ford representative on the witness stand, could I rely on that witness to raise his/her right hand and testify that, yes, this truck is unequivocally rated by the manufacturer to tow up to 11,000 lbs. I wanted that assurance, even if the two packages were otherwise indistinguishable for all practical purposes. But that’s me. I don’t like risk.

Mike_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I completely understand your reasoning. Very pragmatic. My reasoning, when confronted with the same decision, was far more cynical. If something ever went seriously wrong and I needed to put a Ford representative on the witness stand, could I rely on that witness to raise his/her right hand and testify that, yes, this truck is unequivocally rated by the manufacturer to tow up to 11,000 lbs. I wanted that assurance, even if the two packages were otherwise indistinguishable for all practical purposes. But that’s me. I don’t like risk.
I completely understand your point of view as well, I've been borderline obsessed with this issue through the whole process. I'm past the point of changes, they're supposed to build in 2 weeks. To be honest, I still consider cancelling the whole thing and reordering the same truck, just with a Powerboost and the 53a. However, those changes involve waiting another 3 or 4 months, my lease running out on Tacoma that I would then have to buy, the trade in value potentially dropping on the Tacoma as production of new cars normalizes, adding another $4,000 to the build, and most importantly...I'm not 100% sure I really want to add either one. So I go for a run and think of something else, lol.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I completely understand your point of view as well, I've been borderline obsessed with this issue through the whole process. I'm past the point of changes, they're supposed to build in 2 weeks. To be honest, I still consider cancelling the whole thing and reordering the same truck, just with a Powerboost and the 53a. However, those changes involve waiting another 3 or 4 months, my lease running out on Tacoma that I would then have to buy, the trade in value potentially dropping on the Tacoma as production of new cars normalizes, adding another $4,000 to the build, and most importantly...I'm not 100% sure I really want to add either one. So I go for a run and think of something else, lol.
As I said, very pragmatic. You probably sleep better than I do, too.

OP
OP

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Also makes a difference if you’re purchasing a PowerBoost. 53C doesn’t add much above 53A.

Sponsored

Mike_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also makes a difference if you’re purchasing a PowerBoost. 53C doesn’t add much above 53A.
Any idea if there's a tremendous wait time for Powerboost trucks? Or no worse than any of the other trucks?

I've been told my build is happening the week of 2/7, if it gets postponed, that may give me the nudge I need to just cancel the thing and go the Powerboost/53a route. With a different dealership too, that would be nice.

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
This thread was very helpful to me when ordering, I ended up with a PB with 53a package. Though the reason I went 53a hasn't been covered on here, and may be worth considering for others out there:

You can't get trailer tow mirrors on the 17t package.

So if you want those, you could replace them after you get the truck, but that's gonna run you most of the cost of the tow package+mirrors. So might as well get the package and higher tow rating peace of mind.

Just wanted to point out another difference that hasn't been discussed.

Any idea if there's a tremendous wait time for Powerboost trucks? Or no worse than any of the other trucks?

I've been told my build is happening the week of 2/7, if it gets postponed, that may give me the nudge I need to just cancel the thing and go the Powerboost/53a route. With a different dealership too, that would be nice.
My PB order was placed early December and I don't have a VIN yet. That said, I just updated my order a couple days ago to add the BAP since it seems I'll be waiting a while to get the truck anyway.

vidwiz

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Plan on doing the same. Livid I had to pay for tow package to get mirrors when my Platinum already had everything in it.

Helbros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT Super Crew Powerboost
I know this is an older post but here is the new tool url
https://fordfleetlive.com/#/vincalculatordemo